Does the NRL do anything?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Premium Member
A few months ago I recalled that as part of this wonderful TV deal the game received, Channel Nine were to provide six hours of Rugby League on its digital channels each week.
I wasn't able to get a reply. I have just found an article that displays that not only the NRL is struggling to market the game successfully but do not know what Rugby League supporters want.

This is part of the article.
"But another pledge so far hasn’t materialised: two hours of Rugby League content each evening on digital Channel 94 plus two hours of content on Saturday and Sunday morning.

Nine has advised that while this hasn’t yet happened its offer to the NRL remains.

A Nine spokesperson told TV Tonight the offer to broadcast 2 hrs each evening on datacasting channel Ch. 94 (Extra) and on weekend mornings remained but NRL is yet to take up the offer."

Beats me why the NRL aren't trying to get the game out there in any form possible and I am sure this "free" air time was costed into the TV deal.

They are really good at banning everything so the game can grow, ie shoulder charges, punches, any contact basically.

I think for the GF Minichiello and Killer are allowed to shake hands, but that's where physical contact must end.

In all seriousness, the NRL needs to pull its digit out.

Now come on the NRL executive are doing heaps. They're riding around in chauffeur limos, dining in the top restaurants, staying in 5 star resorts and have the media totally confused as to their true purpose, which is to propagate snouts in the trough policy at every opportunity.

The time on the digital channels was actually offered to clubs to produce content, not the NRL. Unfortunately in our case we have nowhere near enough staff resources and production capability to create TV quality content. I assume most other clubs were in a similar boat, so the concept never got off the ground.

The Broncos have a show called Broncos insider that goes to air in QLD on nine weekly during the season.

The Bronc's have about 60 backroom staff though.

Larissa said:
The time on the digital channels was actually offered to clubs to produce content, not the NRL. Unfortunately in our case we have nowhere near enough staff resources and production capability to create TV quality content. I assume most other clubs were in a similar boat, so the concept never got off the ground.

If Manly would let Wolfie loose with a camera, with his irrepressible imagination, he could easily fill 2 hours of quality TV :D

'The Anthology of Canis Rufus muzzle follicles' :idea:

Larissa said:

Thanks Larissa for this info and in some way starts putting things into perspective. It's safe to say nearly all clubs do not have the resources to ca$h into this, nor the NRL the commitment to making the concept work for the game.

Larissa said:

The members of silvertails could easily have done this. More than a few of us have been on tv I reckon.

Easily done!

EASILY!

(oh wait....tv quality content....nevermind)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2