Dogs the team to beat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
Great game today against a much improved Warriors side.As much as I hate Dessie's mutts they have easily the best prop rotation with Graham,Tolman,Kasiano and Klemmer,great young back rowers like Jackson and Finucane plus Eastwood and even the big sloth is proving dangerous,halves are going great and big strong centres.Only real weakness is an average back 3.

Difficult to get a handle on the roosters so far but the Dogs are the litmus test at the moment.We play them twice within a few weeks I think.Will give us a good indication of where we stand.

The dogs are certainly playing well at this stage of the competition.
They do put everything on the line in defence.
On the other hand the warriors were quite awful off and on during today's game.

Hodkinson is a far better player now that he has had a couple of injury free years.Looks a bit quicker and his last tackle options are great.Will be picked at 7 for NSW and that may really lift his confidence.Reynolds is a good foil due to his unpredictability.Their pack is playing exactly like 2012 with some added youth.Downside is the magic year Barber had won't be replicated by any of their back three.As much as I hate them I do enjoy the skill of their forward play.Hard to get a handle on the comp this year with the usual suspects Easts,Souths,Melbourne all looking very vulnerable at times.We are our usual selves.Dogs v Eagles GF a real possibility.One thing I do know is not many teams will leave Parramatta with 2 points if Haynes stays fit.Will be dangerous customers this year.

The warriors made them look good today. The game was there to win, I was most disappointed with tomkins, he passes the ball too early, way before the line.

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, I've got a feeling this could be their year, too. As you say, it's all down to the forward pack (and of course their amazingly - some might even say unbelievably - efficient use of the salary cap rules which allowed them to purchase/maintain/improve said forward pack).
But Reynolds still has the most punchable face in the entire NRL (in a competition full of fwits, that's some achievement) and Ennis isn't too far behind him. Hate seeing them win but I guess I'll have to get used to it.

In my opinion, they have been extremely lucky with a lot of their wins, including today where I thought Johnson's bombed try typified the ball always bouncing the way of the dogs. Can they keep it up? I doubt it. Just wont have enough attack if in-form packs can contain their forwards.

They are playing solid footy, and will be there in the top 3 at the finish if they keep this up. But where is 'the magic' going to come from?. You need the halves and the fullback to provide this, and they just dont have those talents.

But still they will remain a threat and a test to the more 'up and down' sides like MWSE.

I didn't watch today. The replay is on Foxtel now...The Dogs look like overblown Cadbury Dairy Milk blocks in their purple strips.

Perhaps they're trying to proclaim how similar to the Storm they are? May as well; I despise them equally, depending on the day.
And perhaps they're trying to subliminally gain affection by dressing up as giant chocolate bars...so don't be fooled!

I just PRAY we play them with at least a fit Foz and Killer - though all hands on deck would be preferable.

We'll match em in the forwards - our pigs work just as hard; we have an edge in the halves easily; likewise with Killer n Skivy, a big edge for us, and...Our back three: Snake, Horhay n probly Hiku should produce the difference, point-scoring wise!

I've said elsewhere, I hope we see them on Grand Final Day...it is shaping that way.

Worthy Runners' Up - The Dogs.

They look the main threat to us at this stage.

But let's be realistic it's May.

Disco said:
Not a threat imo

love you disco... just the thought of them in the GF gives me heart failure !!!!

2012 i think the Souths forward pack ( LUKE ) out played them the best.. They just tired those big guys out quickly..

a quick play the ball , turning them around kasiano & eastwood are out after 15 mins...

7 straight wins , i hate it but..............

- beat souths by 1 point with a obstruction try , bunnies down on troops
- beat roosters by 1 point , roosters were not in form , had a try disallowed and refused a easy penalty goal at 8-8
- beat warriors by 1 point , with a cheating penalty goal to level 20-20 and wariors gave that game away
- beat storm when smith withdrew 5 mins before kick off..

No doubt they have the forwards , but IMO dont have lethal strike power..

Meet their forwards , tire them out and results will be different.

Against Dragons their average smallest forward 110kg , while Dragons average biggest forward 105kg ( BIG DIFFERENCE ).

Their up there on top we are 2 points behind and we let 2 games slip by..

Im waiting ( hoping ) for their crashing downfall.

we have had also big injuries so far , they have nil other than Pritchard who at the moment dont need anyway in that forward pack.

bottom line - F%#K THEM !!!

NRL ARTICLE - ( part of )

Despite the Doggies dominating the majority of the game, where they had 54 per cent of possession and spent a total of 45 minutes inside the opposition half, the New Zealand side were in the game right until the final minute.

Only a last-ditch tackle from Australian Test centre Josh Morris prevented Shaun Johnson from sending the game to golden point with three minutes left, and the Warriors finished the final 15 minutes as the better team.

AND ONLY WON BY 4 POINTS...

susan said:
Great game today against a much improved Warriors side.As much as I hate Dessie's mutts they have easily the best prop rotation with Graham,Tolman,Kasiano and Klemmer,great young back rowers like Jackson and Finucane plus Eastwood and even the big sloth is proving dangerous,halves are going great and big strong centres.Only real weakness is an average back 3.

Difficult to get a handle on the roosters so far but the Dogs are the litmus test at the moment.We play them twice within a few weeks I think.Will give us a good indication of where we stand.
Last year South's had the biggest and best props and they were the team to beat and now the Dogs are the team to beat because they have the best props
I think the dogs will have the same fate as South's did last year :)

We have played every game this year missing key players. As long as we maintain top 4, preferably top 2 ,and enter the finals with all key troops fit I don't see any team matching us when it really matters. BUT we cant do it if we lose one or more of Snake,Killer,Matai,Foz,DCE,Choc,BJ or Ballin

Yeah they are looking better this year, but im still not convinced.

They won 3 games by a point, and from the games i watched, played clubs like the chooks when they were out of form. Plus most of the teams they have played are bottom 8.

They will be there come finals time, but still have a way to go.

Top 4 team for sure. But I agree about a lack of x-factor. Their backline whilst serviceable and solid doesn't have the zing of others. The other thing now could be instead of the Roosters being decimated by origin it might be the Dogs? Instead of Cordner, Pearce, Maloney, Jennings Tupou. You might see Hodkinson, Reynolds, Morris, T-Dud, Jackson.

And just on the Roosters, they need to get on their bike and do some serious peddling. That loss against the Cows was atrocious. The cows played well, and Pearce missing didn't help, but Pearce missing doesn't mean you leak 42 points.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6