Doing the maths

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Even if the cap gets raised to $5-Million it is not enough to keep a premiership winning team together for long. Here's why:
In a squad of 25 players that would make the average salary $200,000. Now, how many of our squad don't you think are worth $200,000 or more a season?
I'm sure loyalty and playing with a top club like Manly convinces many of our players to take ' unders', but contrasting this is the cost of living on the Northern Beaches which, along with the Eastern Suburbs, would be the most expensive. $200,000 in, say, North Queensland or even NZ goes further than it does here. (an aside, do NZ players get paid in $NZ or $A?. I presume $A, so that gives the NZ Worriers a 30% advantage based on the respective values of the currencies).
So, we all know that at least our top 17 are worth well over $200,000 a season - several probably three times that. It's not hard to see that we can't retain them all, particularly as clubs like Parra are throwing money around like a man with eight arms.
Therefore, posts that call for a player/s to be "retained at all costs" are naive, I believe.
I welcome your opinions. Someone better informed than me may be able to estimate the worth of our current squad.

Ceagle said:
I dont know our whole 25 man squad, I was asking that you post it
Oh. I thought you were making a joke about a postman.
There are the 17 from last night plus G Stewart, Matai, Ben Farrar, Joe Galavao who are all injured. Then there's George Rose.
Of the others these may be on minimum wage:
Junior Palau, Liam Foran, James, Cunningham and Nick Skinner. That's 26, so one is not in the top squad.
Anyway, how do reconcile the salaries?

You are assuming that someone who is on a 400k deal over two years receives 200k a year.

The NRL is full of front loading / backloading i.e. Jamie Lyon might have been on 1 mill over 3 years but is receiving 800k this year

lsz said:
You are assuming that someone who is on a 400k deal over two years receives 200k a year.

The NRL is full of front loading / backloading i.e. Jamie Lyon might have been on 1 mill over 3 years but is receiving 800k this year

Yes. My assumption was to try and simply the problem. If we have some back-eneded contracts then it makes our situation even more dire.

We definately have some back ended contracts eg. Lyon and Kite but i'd say we have quite a few under 200k at the moment-
Whare
Foran - obvious upgrade at the end of this year
DCE - as above or whenever his current contract expires
Mauro
Rose
Robinson
Harrison
Galuvao
Buhrer
Oldfield

If any of these players above are on more than 200k then I can see why the club is so close to the cap.

The Who said:
. (an aside, do NZ players get paid in $NZ or $A?. I presume $A, so that gives the NZ Worriers a 30% advantage based on the respective values of the currencies).

This is a very interesting and valid point The Who. I had not considered this before.

Re our squad - I agree 100%. I have posted previously, that in the week leading up to the GF, I was looking at our squad and new that we would have to shed a few. It's just a matter of who those few are.
Regardless of who it is we will all be shattered by the loss.
The price of being successful hey!!!

on a side note you should see the so called Dragons fans turning on Beau Scott for signing with Knights. Some of them are ruthless and he still has a full season with these guys.

Clint said:
The Who said:
. (an aside, do NZ players get paid in $NZ or $A?. I presume $A, so that gives the NZ Worriers a 30% advantage based on the respective values of the currencies).

This is a very interesting and valid point The Who. I had not considered this before.

Re our squad - I agree 100%. I have posted previously, that in the week leading up to the GF, I was looking at our squad and new that we would have to shed a few. It's just a matter of who those few are.
Regardless of who it is we will all be shattered by the loss.
The price of being successful hey!!!

on a side note you should see the so called Dragons fans turning on Beau Scott for signing with Knights. Some of them are ruthless and he still has a full season with these guys.

I won't begrudge any of our players who leave simply for the money. It is inevitable considering the money being thrown around by unsuccessful clubs. I read that Jennings is on $550,00-plus at Penrith. Geeze, he'd be lucky to get into our top 17.
I just hope any announcement doesn't occur until the end of the season because I can empathise with the Illawarra fans (which is a first for me) knowing that a favourite player will be in the opposition next year.

Let's look at the current line up at full strength

1. Stewart = International rep player
2. Oldfield
3. Lyon = International rep player
4. Matai = International rep player
5 Williams = International rep payer
6 Foran = International rep player
7 DCE = International rep player
8 King = State of origan player
9 Ballin = State of orgin player
10 Kite = State of orgin player
11 Watmough = International rep player
12 Williams = International rep player
13 Stewart = International rep player

That's 1 player out of our starting 13 that hasn't played state of origin or played for their country. No other team has that amount of talent. The reality is we are going to loose at least 3. Let's not worry aout it and enjoy what we have right now.

MPC75 said:
Let's look at the current line up at full strength

1. Stewart = International rep player
2. Oldfield
3. Lyon = International rep player
4. Matai = International rep player
5 Williams = International rep payer
6 Foran = International rep player
7 DCE = International rep player
8 King = State of origan player
9 Ballin = State of orgin player
10 Kite = State of orgin player
11 Watmough = International rep player
12 Williams = International rep player
13 Stewart = International rep player

That's 1 player out of our starting 13 that hasn't played state of origin or played for their country. No other team has that amount of talent. The reality is we are going to loose at least 3. Let's not worry aout it and enjoy what we have right now.

True. But of those 13 how many did we buy as established rep players? One. Jamie Lyon. All the others have been developed.
I think this is a critical difference between our recent recruitment and that of most other clubs.

It really is just too hard to debate salaries & the cap. I dont think anyone here knows anywhere near enough to make the discussion realistic.

Im of the simplistic opinion that we need to let one of our highly paid players go (example only = Snake) and probably a depth mid ranger aswell (example only = Rose).

And at the end of the day, if we need to do that to retain the future halves pairing and others then its an acceptable example of the cap doing its work.

Let the front row go,replace with cheapies and keep the backs/halves

Backrow has been carrying this team since the start of time anyways

A good way to look at it as well is that we would have gained an extra 400,000 just from the loss of Robertson, Rodney and Hoppa. Add to this the 700,000 that the cap will extend by and we have an extra 1.1 millon to play around with over the next couple of years. Take into account wage upgrades, backloading etc then that $1.1 million may be mostly gone by next year unless we strip a couple of players off our current squad. I'd hate to lose anyone but to keep a winning squad together for a long period of time, you need to make some tough decisions.

The Who said:
True. But of those 13 how many did we buy as established rep players? One. Jamie Lyon. All the others have been developed.
I think this is a critical difference between our recent recruitment and that of most other clubs.

So it poses the question.. will we be able continue this type of recruitment and retention, now that crusher and his scouts are now working for the bulldogs?

Winning the comp is not so much about doing the maths.

It has more to do with learning from history. And understanding the geography of the field - knowing where the sideline is, when you're in the red zone etc. And above all, the sweet science of intimidation.

Good spelling also helps.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7