Donny Singe - you legend

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

qldeagle

Bencher
Donny Singe
My first year as the Head of Strength and Conditioning for the Manly Sea Eagles was season 2004 and we did not make the top eight! I was devastated!! That was 12 years ago and I was 36!! This morning I woke up and it's 2015 and I'm not required to train my men this week!! I'm 12 years older with 2 premierships, 4 grand finals, 1 world club cup, and 6 top four finishes of a 10 year uninterrupted season finals streak. I have physically been on the field for every single game the sea eagles have played from the preseason 2004 till yesterday's win at shark park.
Are there things I could have done better? obviously! Were there extenuating external circumstances affecting the team? Yes, but the other 15 clubs suffered similar dramas. Am I wanting to go another round after reviewing season 2015? Definitely!
The coaches around me are exceptional, seasoned, true and tested veterans of winning and losing, but always competing!! It's disappointing for our fans who pour their hearts and souls into every match we play but I speak for all the coaches I work with and I vouch for every one of them when I say, we feel every metre gained and lost with the men who play for you. As you can tell, I'm devastated today too, but I'm ready to review and aggressively attack a strategy to correct our direction and regain our championship history. Change is inevitable but growth is optional. It's time to be structured and processed through review and planning to retain that foothold as a strong club.
Donny Singe
Head of Strength and Conditioning and Coaching Manager

"Courage is grace ......... under pressure"
Ernest Hemimgway

I'd add "composure" if Ernest is ok with it!

So will he remain our head of strength and conditioning, or what's his name from panthers?

...but I'm ready to review and aggressively attack a strategy to correct our direction and regain our championship history...
Donny Singe
Head of Strength and Conditioning and Coaching Manager

With the above statement, it sounds like he will still be making the 'Head' decisions regarding the teams direction and goals.

So im kindda confused.o_O

i think ronnie palmer and gut gould have a thing so i think he will stay, and look at the panthers they horrible injury run, i dont want palmer bringing an even injury season to us

What brilliant and heart-felt comments from Donnie. I hope he retains a position in the club somewhere. We need men of his passion and knowledge.
As for Manly looking unfit and slow, I say: the final match with Cronulla dispelled this notion. All players tackled their hearts out, supported one another against an overwhelming amounts of pressure, and still won. Horo ran like a winger in setting up the winning try. All of them made crucial goal line tackles. The players had to be super fit to mount such an effort.
No, it wasn't their physical fitness that cost us this season. It was mental application.

Donny is class, always has been and always the optimist. The Broncs and Roosters are far superior with fitness and rehab but i think it comes down to $$$ and resourcing. Hoping that some reasonable investment gets put into that department as our season was greatly affected due to injuries. Donny has done well with limited resources but other clubs have left us behind.

Donny's words about being 'ready to review and aggressively attack a strategy to correct our direction and regain our championship history' sound to me like he's staying.
Really hope so. I thinking I read somewhere that he was on the chopping block but due to popularity with the players he was a keeper.

Donny does appear class. In that review he just has to work out how to get our forwards physically capable of running as hard and fast as the roosters did this year.

Injuries killed us early and may be we just could not recover from that to compete with others in the fitness side of things.

We looked a long way off being the fittest team running around. Perhaps we can expect change in a systematic way?

Last edited:
I read a lot of people blame trainers and their techniques across all the clubs when injuries are brought up, I don't think it is that much of an indication of poor training though

As a few examples, Matai with his smashed nose and finger, doesn't matter how hard he gets worked, get caught like he was and something will break

Luke Burgess gets bent over backwards and does his knee, no extra training will make him the rubber band man, Mateo was put in a similar situation

Most injuries that occur simply come through contact or things being bent in ways they shouldn't be and there is no training you can do to prevent those

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
He took the time to personally reply to every single person who asked him a question on FB. What class. That is something we haven't seen from the club in a long time - connectivity and approach ability.

He did, great stuff, what a pity more of that doesn't happen!!

Most injuries that occur simply come through contact or things being bent in ways they shouldn't be and there is no training you can do to prevent those
True to some extent. However I've heard for example Storm use tackling techniques that are more about enveloping the attacker rather than full on smashing them, because that means they are subject to less impact and less likely to be hurt themselves. Now I think of it, for quite some time Storm have had a very effective defence but you wouldn't say they monster opponents with aggressive tackling, so maybe there is something in that.

• 📚
Reactions: Rex
With legends like Donny at Manly, we will get back to finals footy in no time at all! Donny represents everything Manly stands for: Never say die attitude, grit, determination and loyalty!

Good on ya Donny!!! :clap: @:cool:

Go Manly!

The Hard Slog Will Continue Until The Premiership Is Ours! :trophy:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8