Dream start for versatile Symonds

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
seaeagles.com.au
Dream start for versatile Symonds
Richard Maxton |

Monday 18 March 2013 3:49 PM

Sea Eagles back rower Tom Symonds completed a whirlwind transfer to Manly on Sunday night, making his first grade debut just two weeks after arriving at the club, and the former Bondi boy couldn't be happier.

Symonds shot onto the NRL team list on the back of a huge NSW Cup performance the previous week - his first ever run in Maroon and White.

A last-minute change on Sunday saw him move from 18th man onto the bench and it wasn't long before he was launched on the field in place of the injured Steve Matai.

"I couldn't have asked for a better start," he said. "I've come over, been here for two weeks, had a decent game last week, playing 80 minutes so I was happy with that."

"To get a call up this week I was stoked but to get the win out there with the boys was unreal, one of the best feelings I've had with the Brookie crowd behind us on the Hill. It was awesome."

See the best from Symonds' debut in our match highlights

Replacing the Sea Eagles' renowned hit man puts plenty of pressure on a player but Symonds, despite being more at home in the back row, had no problem taking up Matai's mantle and battering through the Knights' armour.

"It was definitely a little bit shocking coming on for Stevie but I really enjoyed it, getting out there with the boys, they made me feel comfortable."

He's happy to have found a place in the squad but Symonds has his eye on a secure first grade spot, not just cameos.

His performance on Sunday staked a great claim, with his willingness and ability to play across the park a great asset to both himself and the team.

"I'd be happy to get a start anywhere in this team at the moment," Symonds said.

"Playing back row's probably my preference but I played out there in the centres tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it so anywhere I can get a start I'll be happy."

Symonds looks the goods and frankly, I'm not surprised one bit.

If there's one thing I've learned following Manly for 40 years is that when they recruit someone, it's not just done on a whim. They see potential and time and time again they're proven right.

Welcome to the greatest club in the NRL Tom.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4