Dubbo eyes "Grey Mardis Gras"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Dubbo eyes "Grey Mardis Gras"

These people are serious too!  I'm so glad I no longer have to be associated with their stupidity.

Bid for iconic festival heats up
FAYE WHEELER
17 Mar, 2010 12:33 PM

A Michael Jackson extravaganza or a grey mardi gras or something else again - it is up to Dubbo to decide.

Dubbo city councillor Peter Bartley will hold a second public meeting tomorrow to discuss if motorhome drag racing, romantic interludes or dancing in the streets could be the city’s new iconic festival.

Citizens should bring their voting hands because they will decide which four ideas are pursued.

The meeting comes after several months of debate prompted by the bigger-than-Memphis annual Elvis festival to Dubbo’s south that left the city wondering why it could not match Parkes.

Dubbo City Council had no answer and Cr Bartley received little support from some of his fellow councillors in January.

Just two months ago Cr Bartley called for Dubbo to “put up of shut up” and he’s delighted to see the city “put up”.

“I’m really excited about tomorrow night, I think there will be another huge crowd present and the accord and harmony in the community is amazing,” he said yesterday. “A lot of discussion and interaction has gone on since the last meeting and it has all been positive.

“The most important thing for the meeting to decide upon tomorrow night will be agreeing upon a way forward that balances maintaining the momentum already built up but creating a strategy that will provide the foundation for a strong and lasting new festival for Dubbo and the region for many years to come.”

Seventeen submissions have arrived on Cr Bartley’s desk since the first public meeting in January.

Those submissions provide ideas and plans for a variety of events the city could make its own, from a zoo festival to lonely hearts festival, from Michael Jackson to grey mardi gras events.

In total, people who attend tomorrow’s meeting will have 10 festival ideas to vote on.

The meeting’s agenda will allow people who made submissions to address the meeting before a vote to shortlist four ideas.

Dubbo has a number of festivals sprinkled throughout its calendar but none have managed to pull in the numbers enjoyed by the Parkes Elvis Festival or the Tamworth Country Music Festival. The meeting will be held in the Western Plains Cultural Centre auditorium at 5.30pm.

Re: Dubbo eyes "Grey Mardis Gras"

They could have a conman mardi gra featuring Rorke Poison

A Festival entitled "The hunt for Rorque's MBA" might be in order.

What about dubbo's finest mullet competition? Surly you lot own more of those than camper vans ;)

Well Parkes has the Elvis Festival in January so Dubbo has to have something to get some notoriety now that its most infamous resident has left town.

I'm looking forward to the "Bulldoze a Gordon Estate House" competition, or perhaps the Great Dubbo Muster where the population is herded into another town.

What is amusing is the Dubbo locals are so earnest and genuinely upset that the rest of the populace don;t think their little dot in the outback is the bees knees.  So the best they can do is come up with "me too" ideas to try and compete with Parkes and Tamworth.  It will never get off the ground. 

What about a Julian O'Neill Sh!t-in-a-Shoe Festival ?

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4