Dugan's 'kick'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
On the 20m restart.

So if the ball bounced and went out fron his kick. Would it have been a canberra scrum from wherever the ball went over the touch line?

If this is the case then along with short kick-offs, why isnt this play used more often??

Yes. It was worth the risk.
I couldn't believe when Canberra trailed by six that they didn't attempt a short kick restart. They just booted it long and Manly played out its six.

I think it is correct, not sure why it isn't attempted more often - last attempt that I recall was a game against the Knights when Joey still played, it may well have been against the raiders

Pretty sure if it found touch it would be there feed. Not used more often as the chances are you will just turn over possession. I have only seen it used when teams are desperate for points in the final couple of minutes and have no faith in getting 80 metres.

Yes that's correct the scrum feed would have gone to Canberra as long as it wasn't kicked out on the full. It definitely could be used more often however high risk if the ball doesn't go out as happened today.

You'd think with a big enough kick by the time the fullback got back to return the ball if it didnt go out that the metres gained would not be much different than a full set of 6 and down field kick.

Guess there are pros and cons but this play would work wonders for a side with 10/10 defence..e.g 2010 Dragons.

Is the case with any free kick IIRC, kick offs, drop outs, 20m restarts

Chip and Chase said:

Yeah i was aware of that but always thought it was a 20m tap when caught on full in goal or kicked dead by attacking team.

Thurston did this successfully against Souths last weekend (and I had to explain to my wife what he was doing and how smart it was). Obviously Dugan watched that game, too. Just couldn't execute.

Napper said:
Chip and Chase said:

Yeah i was aware of that but always thought it was a 20m tap when caught on full in goal or kicked dead by attacking team.

Why commentators refer to it as an optional restart now

Not really sure why but some commentators have called it that for ages.
I assume you have the option of kicking it like Dugan did or a "tap" kick for yourself. The thing I've noticed lately with the tap kick is that players these days don't release it from their hands like they used to, so I assume the rule has changed in that regard. You used to see the occasional player knocking it on trying to take a quick tap.

As soon as he did it I thought 'good idea' but after looking at the clock I didn't think so - there was about 60 seconds left, he kicks it to our 40m and most of that time is taken up by his forwards lumbering into position to stop the clock. I reckon just trying to score from a full set would have been better.

I like the willingness to take a risk though.

StuBoot said:
I assume you have the option of kicking it like Dugan did or a "tap" kick for yourself. The thing I've noticed lately with the tap kick is that players these days don't release it from their hands like they used to, so I assume the rule has changed in that regard. You used to see the occasional player knocking it on trying to take a quick tap.

That's correct, ball doesn't have to leave hands as long as it is touched by the boot.

2830 Eagle said:
StuBoot said:

That's correct, ball doesn't have to leave hands as long as it is touched by the boot.

I've wondered that for ages, I give your 60th post, post of the year.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4