Eadie v Inglis is a no brainer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
==Playing career==
Manly 1971-1983: 237 games, 1,917 points (71 tries, 847 goals, 3 field goals)
Australia 1973-1979: 20 Tests, 16 points (2 tries, 5 goals)

Eadie was graded by Manly-Warringah in [[1971 NSWRFL season|1971]] and showed immediate promise in the lower grades that season. The following year with the retirement of long serving Manly fullback [[Bob Batty]], he established himself as the team's first grade fullback and his powerful running style was already a serious danger to all Manly's opponents. Though not excessively tall at just under 180 cm, Eadie's solid build of around 97 kg (15 [[stone (weight)|stone]]) gave him abundant pace and so much strength that once he was on the move, few opposing defenders were ever able to stop him when he ran into the backline. At the same time, Eadie was an accurate line kicker and extremely safe under the high ball in an era when the "[[Bomb (kick)|bomb]]" was coming into prominence.

Although he had been used as a goal kicker in some games in [[1972 NSWRFL season|1972]], it was only in [[1973 NSWRFL season|1973]] that Eadie became Manly's major point scorer. That year, he kicked 14 goals in a match against [[Penrith Panthers|Penrith]], and for the following three years he was the leading point scorer in the competition, reaching a high of 242 points (14 tries and 100 goals) in [[1975 NSWRFL season|1975]], a club record that would not be broken until [[New Zealand Kiwis|New Zealand]] international [[Matthew Ridge]] (also a fullback) scored 257 points (11 tries, 106 goals and 1 field goal) in [[1995 ARL season|1995]].

Eadie was selected to the [[Australian Kangaroos|Australian team]] for the [[1978 Kangaroo tour]] and, after an injury to Kangaroos Captain-coach [[Graeme Langlands]], took over as Test fullback for the final two [[The Ashes (rugby league)|Ashes]] tests against [[Great Britain Lions|Great Britain]], marking his debut at [[Headingley Stadium#Headingley Carnegie Stadium|Headingley]] in [[Leeds]] by kicking 5 goals in windy conditions. Though Langlands regained the test fullback spot in 1974, Eadie went on to be Australia's regular fullback from 1975 until he retired from representative rugby league following the experimental [[1980 State of Origin match]]. Despite being a record point scorer for Manly, Eadie was never a prolific point scorer at Test level as [[Country New South Wales rugby league team|Country Firsts]] and later [[Parramatta Eels|Parramatta]] {{rlp|CE}} [[Mick Cronin (rugby league)|Mick Cronin]] was generally the first choice kicker in representative sides.

In [[1974 NSWRFL season|1974]], Eadie won the prestigious [[Rothmans Medal]] as Sydney rugby league's best-and-fairest player, and at the end of the controversial [[1978 NSWRFL season#Finals|1978 finals series]] he produced one of the finest performances ever by a fullback in the Grand Final replay, scoring a try, going close to scoring a second time before passing for [[Russell Gartner]] to score, and charging consistently through an extremely strong [[Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks|Cronulla-Sutherland]] defence. Two years earlier, his accurate goal kicking under pressure won Manly the [[1976 NSWRFL season#Grand Final|1976 Grand Final]] where they scored only one try to Parramatta's two. Eadie's dominance in the '76 and '78 Grand Finals was recognised thirty years later with the awarding of retrospective [[Clive Churchill Medal]]s for Man of the Match in those games.

Following the 1978 Grand Final, Eadie was selected to his second [[Kangaroo Tour]]. The coach of the 1978 Kangaroos was Eadie's Manly coach [[Frank Stanton (rugby league)|Frank Stanton]], while the captain was his former Sea Eagles team mate [[Bob Fulton]] who was at the time playing for [[Sydney Roosters|Eastern Suburbs]].

Despite Manly declining in surprising fashion to miss the semi-finals for the first time in twelve years in [[1979 NSWRFL season|1979]], Eadie's form remained excellent, and even a major injury that forced him to miss half of the [[1981 NSWRFL season|1981 season]] failed to dim his brilliance: at the end of [[1982 NSWRFL season|1982]], commentators were noticing how he was "more involved in the game than at any stage since 1973." Thus his retirement from Sydney rugby league after Manly's loss to Parramatta in the [[1983 NSWRFL season#Grand Final|1983 Grand Final]] was regretted by most lovers of the game - a fact born out by his remarkable comeback for English club [[Halifax RLFC|Halifax]] three years later, when he scored sixteen tries (a record for a fullback) and helped Halifax to the 1986 Club Championship and 1987 Rugby League [[Challenge Cup]], winning the [[Lance Todd Trophy]] for his man-of-the-match performance in the final at [[Wembley Stadium (1923)|Wembley Stadium]].

Eadie gave us the tip before the game how to shut down Inglis. Choke him with a good kicking game and that we did.

I had no idea they awarded retrospective Clive Churchil medals. Well done Wombat for 76 and 78. Was a great memory from childhood those GF wins.

When I was a kid, the wombat was my hero. I was lucky enough to be the age of 11 when the Wombat inspired Manly to the 1978 grand final replay win against the Sharks.

The Wombat was a fantastic defender, a bit like Brett in that he knew when to inject himself into the back line. He was also a devastating defender who smashed attackers head on.

Inglis is writing his own history and I am sure will be right up there at the end of his career.

You forgot a couple @silvertail

Graeme Eadie only ever signed one contract at a time

Graeme Eadie bought a boat....with his own money.

Graeme Eadie regularly catches planes that fly in the rain

Graeme Eadie didn't turn his back on NSW

He was 18 in his/Manly's first Premiership !
Had every skill and size to boot. One of the greats :angel:

I always remember he and Tom Mooney as the toughest FB/Winger combo, who took it personally if anyone got within the old 22 yard area. They treated that like their tryline and dusted up all intruders:p

In the late 70s there was a World Wide Best Athlete Contest, Eadie won it, thats how fit and versatile he was.

Chip and Chase said:
You forgot a couple @silvertail

Graeme Eadie only ever signed one contract at a time

Graeme Eadie bought a boat....with his own money.

Graeme Eadie regularly catches planes that fly in the rain

Graeme Eadie didn't turn his back on NSW

Graeme Eadie was not as good as Graham Eadie.

:p

HappilyManly said:
In the late 70s there was a World Wide Best Athlete Contest, Eadie won it, thats how fit and versatile he was.

I forgot about that.
I had to stop going to the local pub were he was working because I'd crack the ****s at some of the young blokes who didn't know who just poured them a beer. I wanted them to bow and scrape once they took there paid for beers.:(

wombatgc said:
HappilyManly said:

I forgot about that.
I had to stop going to the local pub were he was working because I'd crack the ... at some of the young blokes who didn't know who just poured them a beer. I wanted them to bow and scrape once they took there paid for beers.:(

Was that Treetops Tavern ?

mickqld said:
wombatgc said:
HappilyManly said:

I forgot about that.
I had to stop going to the local pub were he was working because I'd crack the ... at some of the young blokes who didn't know who just poured them a beer. I wanted them to bow and scrape once they took there paid for beers.:(

Was that Treetops Tavern ?

It is. Not the same without Wombat there.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19771014&id=Ze9hAAAAIBAJ&sjid=hpIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5210,4275198
..'In 1978 Eadie added a further sporting achievement to his resume when he represented Australia in a World Sporting Superstar competition in Jamaica. ..'

The present day athlete has a cast of thousands in support/rehab etc - Eadie was just a natural athlete :angel:

Great summation of his sporting career:
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/graham-eadie/summary.html

Two time Churchill medal winner. Wow.

Sounds about right to me. Was the difference between the two teams in a tight contest in 1976. Was the most destructive SINGULAR influence in a grand final EVER, albeit the grand final replay, in 1978.

Always loved Wombat and thanks for the additional info on this thread.

The 78 GF is my first league match I can recall. To my young eyes it seemed a team in white jerseys called Graham Eadie beat the other side (whoever those losers were). It was sometime later I supported Manly and I recall Eadie in one of the otherwise horrible to remember early 80s GFs actually picking up Steve Ella who had crossed the tryline and carrying him back into the field of play as he had to offload.
Eadie or Stewart at fullback for all-time Manly is a hard one. Different styles of players but both tremendous.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6