Eagles back Hasler for Origin: True Blue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Eagles back Hasler for Origin: True Blue

Jason Avedissian

http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/07/04/10917_sports.html
4 July 2008

SEA Eagles management will not stand in the way of Manly coach Des Hasler taking over the Blues top job next year.

It is believed incumbent coach Craig Bellamy is no guarantee of staying in the role in 2009 following the Blues' series defeat to Queensland on Wednesday night.

Speculation yesterday suggested Blues greats Laurie Daley and Andrew Johns would be favoured should Bellamy stand down.

But Hasler equally has influential support within the corridors of the NSW Rugby League.

Manly CEO Grant Mayer said he would support his coach despite the known difficulties in juggling both club and representative duties.

"We'd certainly never stand in Des's way," Mayer said ahead of Manly's NRL clash against the Gold Coast at Skilled Park tonight. "Des would be more than capable of juggling both."

Former Blues utility Steve Menzies, who played 20 games for his state, said Hasler would bring some mental toughness to the NSW squad.

"Des is an intense bloke and has good ethics," the Sea Eagles lock said last night. "He's very passionate about the team, any team he's involved with.

"They are key things he could bring to a format like State of Origin."

Menzies said his ex-teammate would have no issues handling both Manly and NSW.

"There have been plenty of coaches who have done the job successfully in the past," he said. "Obviously when you are away from the team you have to have coaching structures in place."

Hasler served his coaching apprenticeship with the Sea Eagles' division one side from 2001-02 before becoming Peter Sharp's assistant in 2003.

He took on Manly's top job the following season, steadily improving the team's results, culminating in last year's grand final defeat to Melbourne.

I was so incensed with the way the Manly boys were overlooked for this years origin series, that I think we should boycott future origins that includes Des!! 

ok, ok, maybe i'm over reacting a tiny bit!

How funny would it be, not to mention the uproar, if Des was made coach and didn't pick a single storm player!

i think des would actually pick the best team, that might include leaving out some of his manly favourites

I'd rather him not coach origin but I think a better team would be chosen if he was to coach.

I also think Stewy would be put to better use in attack.

I would go away from club coaches for the next couple of years, give it to Tommy or Daley etc.

If it has to be a club coach, Des would be very good, but Fittler would be awesome in that environment as well

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I would go away from club coaches for the next couple of years.

I tend to agree with you on that one although I wouldn't go with Daley. It would be like this years teams except that even Snake wouldn't be there either as we all know his feelings about Manly & besides that he is a selector so he would have to be one or the other. IMO the teams should always be picked on form & not by favourites.

who would want as Origin Coach?

In recent years it has obviously been dominated by teams with a strong connection to News Ltd. Bring Ricky Stuart back? who says u can't be Aus Coach and NSW coach?

Zep link said:
i think des would actually pick the best team, that might include leaving out some of his manly favourites

Des would defintaly pick his best team and never pick favourites, just like at club level.

Willo would be lock and Bryant starting prop, thats for sure

Fluffy link said:
[quote author=Zep link=topic=177800.msg188968#msg188968 date=1215225538]

Des would defintaly pick his best team and never pick favourites, just like at club level.

Willo would be lock and Bryant starting prop, thats for sure
[/quote]
touche

Zep link said:

In recent years it has obviously been dominated by teams with a strong connection to News Ltd. Bring Ricky Stuart back? who says u can't be Aus Coach and NSW coach?

Ask Terry Fearnley.

Sterling should go for it, always wanted to see how he would go as a coach.

Anyone but Raudonikis, his coaching record is atrocious, useless old bastard who the media goes to when they need some pointless quote to fill a page, if I hear that cattledog story again I'll kill somebody.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I would go away from club coaches for the next couple of years, give it to Tommy or Daley etc.

If it has to be a club coach, Des would be very good, but Fittler would be awesome in that environment as well
I agree Kiwi a club coach should not be chosen.

They could do a lot worse than Steve Folkes.

Utility Player link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=177800.msg188975#msg188975 date=1215233215]

I agree Kiwi a club coach should not be chosen.

They could do a lot worse than Steve Folkes.
[/quote]
John Lang would do a great job

I think Sterlo would do a great job

But to be honest, i hope they pick Gould to do it, at least that way we won't have to put up with him on the commentary team

[quote author=Cliffy Gc
I John Lang would do a great job
[/quote]
I dont think they would pick a former QLD player to coach NSW no matter how good he is.

on good old tommy, i head Phil gould tell a story once when they finished interviewing raper on the sunday footy show, saying there was a representitive coach who gots his whole team together in a hotel room, hiring a hooker for the intention that everyone has a go and bond!
Unfortunately the coach went first and everyone walked out in disgust... anyone know who he was referring to in this story?

Fro link said:
[quote author=Zep link=topic=177800.msg188979#msg188979 date=1215234601]

Ask Terry Fearnley.
[/quote]

Doesnt anyone remember Terry Fearnley and why no State Coach will coach Aus?

It had to do with him picking the NSW halves (Hasler and Kenny) instead of Wally. Mind you, form on tour demanded that decision - Wally did very little for any team he played for, outside two good games for Qld a year!!!!

Fearnley's team won against both the Kiwis and Poms but the Qlders bleated like sheep, but the bottom line is that most of them played much better in Interstate games and Origin than they did in either club or International games.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8