Eagles' biggest fan boycotts final over Zorba saga

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
ON Saturday there will be one notable absentee from the Sea Eagles finals clash with North Queensland - the club’s unofficial 18th man, Alex Ma.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/eagles-biggest-fan-boycotts-final-over-zorba-saga/

Here's Zorba's comments:

Peter Peters: Club is bigger than me
7/9/2011 1:52 PM
Peter Peters
Sportal

You don't always get to write your own ending in life and leaving the Sea Eagles amid great drama and controversy was not how I'd planned my exit.

To describe the past week or so as tumultuous would be a great understatement - and those who know me well will tell you I am anything but understated.

While I am saddened to be leaving this fabulous club after an association stretching back more than 40 years, I won't be going out kicking and screaming.

The Sea Eagles mean too much to me for me to unload on them.

There is a new direction the club is taking and they've made it clear I am not part of it.

Put simply, if they don't have a place for me then I don't want to be there.

The club is bigger than Peter Peters.

I am but a full stop in one paragraph of this club's history.

There have been people who have put in far more than me and have asked for nothing in return.

I'm sad but at the same time relieved it's going to come to an end soon.

I am ready to walk away and begin a fresh, new chapter in my life.

I can now add a few extra pages to the book I am writing - and I can assure you the tome will have plenty of people from a variety of sports I've covered over the years ducking for cover.

You'll definitely still see me at Brookie supporting the team next season and beyond.

I am a life member and no one can take that away from me.

I have been blown away by the support I have received this week from fans, sponsors, players, friends, members of the media and my wonderful family.

Some of the messages have left me in tears.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all.

Now I just want to do my best over the next few weeks for the players, fans and fabulous staff I work with before walking away peacefully, hopefully with the club's eighth premiership in the bag.

And don't bet against it happening.

This is one of the strongest playing groups I've ever come across.

They showed how tough they were in Brisbane last Sunday.

Down 14-0 with a host of players missing and with a 50,000-strong crowd baying for blood in Darren Lockyer's final regular season game, Manly were staring down the barrel of a heavy defeat.

But they dragged themselves back into the contest and can consider themselves unlucky not to have gone on and won it.

Des Hasler-coached teams play for every second of every game each and every week.

It will take a very good side to stop them.

First up it's the Cowboys and while it will be a tough match, I expect Manly to prevail by a few points.

My other winners for week one of the finals are: Dragons, Warriors and Storm.

See you next week!

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-opinion-display/peter-peters-club-is-bigger-than-me-137174

Great article Zorba you are a class act above those faceless man, and some of our fair weather friend supporters of the club .

Now
Ben Kennedy walks out on Manly over Peter Peters' sacking
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/ben-kennedy-walks-out-on-manly-over-peter-peters-sacking/story-e6frexnr-1226131659609

Someone should be paying dearly for the p1ss poor timing.
I think BK has nailed it.

A fine and expected statement from Peter Peters. Kennedy's rant leaves me puzzled. Obviously he wasn't a rusted on supporter. Great player and we owe him plenty, but I can't agree with his sentiments.

DSM5 said:
A fine and expected statement from Peter Peters. Kennedy's rant leaves me puzzled. Obviously he wasn't a rusted on supporter. Great player and we owe him plenty, but I can't agree with his sentiments.
So you think the timing was perfect?

I don't get the BK ramble either. I don't understand why all this is still in the media? Sure, feel bad for your mate, but don't voice it in the paper. We have a final series to win. Get behind the team, and club, and give them all the support they deserve.

If this whole saga does derail Manly's season, and only time will tell if it will, then BK, Arko, Bozo and anyone else who continues to bring it up and keeping it in the news will be as much to blame as the people/person responsible for the timing of the announcement. IMO if Steve Menzies can be moved on earlier than what he wanted to be then anyone can. I like Zorba, but I'm a Manly fan first and foremost and there is not one single person who is bigger than the club. Let's move on and send Zorba out with another premiership.

Can't understand why Zorba had to write an article like that now! He shouldve left that sort of thing till the end of the season. Just talk about our upcoming games, and our tilt for the title. This will just inflame the situation and keep it brewing for a few more days. This whole saga is dividing the club, that's the last thing we need at this time of year!

Phil Rothfield says

"THE world has gone officially mad. To call a very attractive young lady "a good sort'' is a compliment, not an insult. Manly's decision to suspend Peter 'Zorba' Peters shows exactly why the club needs his public-relations skills now more than ever to protect a rookie CEO and the boardroom boofheads who have overreacted in such an outrageous manner. Peters should not have made the remark on camera. It was an idiotic thing to say, but I've known Zorba for 35 years and there's a lot of things you could say about him, but he is certainly not sexist.
In fact, I know he goes out of his way to help young media managers at other clubs - many of them females - learn the ropes in a very tough environment. I've also never known a man as generous with his time with handicapped or special needs children. He should be immediately reinstated".

The issue here is Ben is not only turning his back on The Club for making a decision. He's turning his back on his former team mates and fans alike, and shows a very different side to his character that I really, REALLY don't like. Enflaming the situation at the worst possible time is not cool.

As for the kid, he's 18, and probably immature, like all 18 year olds, so if he doesn't want to support the 18-19 players that have busted their balls all year putting in for his enjoyment, he is entitled to that.

People need to grow up, and realise that change is part of life, especially if you want to grow a business losing money hand over foot.

That being said, everyone knows my disdain for the current board, so maybe the process could have been handled MUCH better.

Does Bob Reilly need to be held accountable for his contributions in the dismissals of Mayer and and now Zorba?
Is he the no.1 faceless man many people seem to refer too?

I personally think that all this loyal support for Zorba will fire the players up for a big win as the players love Zorba. and will want to send him off on a winning note. So let us voice our disgust at what has happened and support the players as they are the ones that are going to win it for us and not those faceless cock holders that hide behind their desk.

Respect for BK just plummeted.

As for Alex, immature or not, the players have always done their best for him. I would sit down and have a long chat with this kid if I were his parents; are they tacitly teaching him that at the first sign someone does something you don't like you should stop being their friend and stop supporting them in what they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8