Eagles Not Running Out Of Steam

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Phil Gould - Sun Herald - 09/08/15

What an incredible performance by the Manly Sea Eagles in their complete annihilation of the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Brookvale on Friday night.

I would rate this Manly victory as one of the top three performances I have seen by any NRL team this season. It was that good. In fact, it was so dominant, it has you thinking just how far this team might go in this competition. They are now in such good form that I don't think there is a ceiling on where this 2015 Manly campaign might end. It's an incredible turnaround on some of the rubbish they produced earlier in the season. Mind you, they did have injury issues and other distractions. Right now though, they are as good as any team in the competition

When Manly win, invariably it's their halves and classy back-line players who receive all the plaudits. They were outstanding again on Friday night.

But it was the grit and grunt of the unheralded Manly forward pack that set the foundations for this dominant win. They were terrific.

Yep, this win had a real WOW factor about it.

Conversely, I think we might have witnessed exactly where the defending premiers South Sydney currently sit in the pecking order of possible 2015 title contenders.

They were seriously lacking where it mattered most in this contest. It kind of gave you a feeling that we have seen Souths' best already and they don't have another level to go to for the finals series ahead. Their power game certainly helps them stand over some of the lesser equipped teams in the competition. However, whenever a team has stood up to them this season, Souths have been found wanting.

Their attacking game is pretty much a repeat of the same stuff over and over again. They couldn't get their most dangerous attacking weapon Greg Inglis into the game anywhere near often enough. There were moments during the second half where you felt Souths were frustrated and even conceding they had run out of ideas. This was not the performance of a team heading to premiership glory.

Perhaps an early indication of the mindset of these two teams came where Souths elected to take a penalty goal to lead 2-0. Manly then refused two opportunities to kick close-range penalty goals; instead choosing to play on in pursuit of tries. They scored on both occasions. Suddenly they lead 10-2. The psychological war was won and the game was virtually over from that point.

Manly too good. Souths will have cause for concern.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-of-steam-20150808-giuj6h.html#ixzz3iHfZ1tPw
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Only thing I worry about now is that for a team still outside the 8, we're having so much smoke blown up our arse that if we lose a game it might completely destroy the momentum and knock all the wind out of our sails...

The best part is that this would have been a fairly trying season for the players themselves, and so they must be really enjoying this late season surge. For that reason I certainly expect it to continue. Here's hoping.

It also may be possible for us to win every game and miss the 8?

Exactly, if the teams above us keep winning we can miss out.

I however think that a few are faltering so who knows.

One thing is for sure out of nothing we are up to our balls in this competition .

Exactly, if the teams above us keep winning we can miss out.

I however think that a few are faltering so who knows.

One thing is for sure out of nothing we are up to our balls in this competition .

mathematically possibly but there would need to be some huge upsets.

Most likely is we lose 1 game, tie for 8th on 28 points with 3 other teams and F/A

mathematically possibly but there would need to be some huge upsets.

Most likely is we lose 1 game, tie for 8th on 28 points with 3 other teams and F/A

Yes I'd be surprised if we didn't drop one, if we drop two it's sayonara!!

Might come down to Sharkies in Round 26

We need the Dragons to lose a couple, but they have an easy run home after the Broncos next week. Also be handy if the Raiders dropped a couple but apart from us they also have a dream run home. Hopefully Tigers can upset them tomorrow, that'll help our cause.

I think realistically we can't afford to drop another game otherwise we are placing our destiny in the hands of others

After being 1-6 and later 4-10. Anything thing this team achieves now is a bonus, it is a week to week thing and we will need some luck to go our way to get in. I am proud of the team because they have got their act together and are doing themselves justice. The club MUST not repeat the mistakes from last year and early this season and if we get it right we are a match for any team.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6