Early Days but.....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
The departure of Hoppa & Robbo is HUGE.
Hoppa gained more yards than anyone in the NRL & his class like the flick pass to Gift in the gf will be a massive loss.
Robbo was possably the most underrated finisher to play the game & his value was not just finding the line but doing the 1% plays all day that others did not. For positional play he was 10/10 & the players loved having him out there.
Wolf is a sensation at his best but is injured 70% of the time - hopefully this changes in 2012.
Oldfield has unlimited potential but is still green in many ways - will be a star imo & hopefully 2012.
Farrar is a reasonable utility but for those who say he has improved whilst overseas, its more to do with a step down in quality in that comp. Whare seems to have something but just seems to be treading water & not improving to the next level which is dissappointing after his sensational debut vs Cowgirls 2 years ago.
As far as the trial - stick it in the trashcan. If the pre season guide was something to go by Cronulla, Penrith, Penrith & raiders would have dominated recent seasons yet they have only battled for the spoon.
Manly again in 2012 but our missing 2011 GF wingers will be our biggest hurdle imo.

Robbo is the one that was always 'cleaning up' as well as scoring.

Hoppa let in almost as many as he scored. If you discount his inexperience,he was a shadow of Robbo.

Looking forward to this year's Manly Rookie of the Year :)

Defense is Oldfield's problem. Get that right and he'll be a very good player. He's very quick.

been told Jorge Taufua was the stand out in TYC last season. Played fullback so should be good with defending kicks and can play wing/centre also. Foxsports listed him as the most likley rookie to break into NRL for Manly this season.

Does anyway have some feedback on him in trial? Big unit also. 100kg

Not sure of any trial feedback , this was on foxsports on the young gun radar - Jorge Taufua (Wing)
The reigning premiers will field a largely unchanged line-up to that which lifted the trophy in 2011, meaning the club’s youngsters face a tough ask breaking into the top grade. One who could see game time at some stage this season is outside back Jorge Taufua. He was a member of both the Toyota Cup and NSW Cup sides last year, and he certainly left an impression on both competitions. Taufua played predominantly at fullback for the under-20s, and he proved a real weapon with his size and speed. His 102kg frame gives him the versatility to fill in at centre, fullback or on the wing. Look for Geoff Toovey to give the youngster his first taste of the top grade during the Origin period.

Oldfield needs to play outside Killer. He looked rock solid there in his first few games in the top grade last year. It was only when he played outside of Matai did he have some problems which is understandable. Killer would give a young bloke all the confidence in the world, but as Matai is a lot more aggressive that would leave a young fellah bit nervous about what he might do. It makes sense to me to put Wolfman out on that side and continue to have that as our power side and the finesse on the other flank.

Darren said:
Big wraps on toyota cup winger Patrick Sipley who may really kick on in 2012.

This guy is huge. He is listed at 193cm and weighing 108. That's taller than Jason King and almost as heavy! Imagine how big he'll be when he 'grows up'.

I didnt realise Patrick Sipley was that big also! id perhaps groom couple of these boys for centres down the track.You can Learn everything you need to know as a centre from Jamie Lyon and also a bit of(alot of) aggresion from matai including some ball running should hold them in good sted. They obviously will have size and power cause they are big units will be interesting to watch them develop!

HappilyManly said:

Hoppa let in almost as many as he scored. If you discount his inexperience,he was a shadow of Robbo.

HM - everyone deserves an opinion & I'm more dissapointed with how Hoppa left than most here but....
He made more yards than anyone...in the comp for games played.
Scored some ridiculous tries with no room & had freakish moments.
Safe as anyone under the high ball.
Dont recall him let many in at all:huh:
With defence the key in SOO I doubt he would have been selected if he had such deficiencies in defence.
Personally very bitter at Hoppas underhanded departure & agree with your Robbo sentiments - an absolute champion.

MK Eagle said:
HappilyManly said:

HM - everyone deserves an opinion & I'm more dissapointed with how Hoppa left than most here but....
He made more yards than anyone...in the comp for games played.
Scored some ridiculous tries with no room & had freakish moments.
Safe as anyone under the high ball.
Dont recall him let many in at all:huh:
With defence the key in SOO I doubt he would have been selected if he had such deficiencies in defence.
Personally very bitter at Hoppas underhanded departure & agree with your Robbo sentiments - an absolute champion.

Feel the same MK re Hoppas sneaky departure, it would seem that being honest isn't a prerequisite of being a Mormon.

Accept the difference in perspective re Hoppa's defence. The GF Manu try had him way off his wing and that is due to inexperience.
All able to be fixed,but Robbo never lacked this awareness.

I do not believe that Hoppa had any say in his contract details.
His dopey farther controls the tribe,and Hoppa is the nominated breadwinner :(

Plenty has been written of Hoppa jnr's departure but what is the story with Robbo? Was he let go because of salary cap constraints? I never recall any stories of Manly negotiating with him just a story that he had signed for London Broncos in the ESL.

Mals said:
Plenty has been written of Hoppa jnr's departure but what is the story with Robbo? Was he let go because of salary cap constraints? I never recall any stories of Manly negotiating with him just a story that he had signed for London Broncos in the ESL.

Think it was done earlier in 2011 Mals with everything on the table & no underhanded BS - just what you would expect from Robbo.
If ever there was an example to youngsters of playing to your potential & turning up every week - Robbo is the yardstick.
Oldfield needs to watch as much footage of Robbo as he can because he has the raw potential to become a great finisher.

Cheers MK Eagle. Robbo is a class act on & off the field. He will be greatly missed this year...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4