Embarrassed Manly pack looks to restore pride

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
A Sea Eagles pack that has matched it with some of the best forward packs in the NRL this year will be looking to restore some pride against Cronulla at Brookvale Oval on Sunday after being embarrassed at Leichhardt in Round 5.

The still-developing Manly forward rotation surprised plenty with huge showings in wins over Souths in Round 2 and the Roosters in Round 4, but was swamped by a young and energetic Wests Tigers outfit in a 34-18 loss last weekend.

Read More

A Sea Eagles pack that has matched it with some of the best forward packs in the NRL this year will be looking to restore some pride against Cronulla at Brookvale Oval on Sunday after being embarrasse
1200-justin-horo1.jpg
d at Leichhardt in Round 5.

The still-developing Manly forward rotation surprised plenty with huge showings in wins over Souths in Round 2 and the Roosters in Round 4, but was swamped by a young and energetic Wests Tigers outfit in a 34-18 loss last weekend.

Prop Josh Starling, who played a vital role in those wins, concedes the pack's pride was damaged after the loss.

"They out-enthused us in every way possible... we've really got to step it up this week because we can't let that happen two weeks in a row," Starling said.

"They just wanted it a bit more than us, they came out firing and we turned over too much ball and we couldn't hold it with them after all that defence.

"We won't want to do that in front of the Manly fans because they'll let us know. We can't afford to be inconsistent anymore, we had a great couple of weeks against the big packs then the Tigers came out and blew us off the park, we can't do that.

"We've just got to have a look at ourselves and realise you don't want to play like that again, Tooves [coach Geoff Toovey] doesn't have a problem with shoving you back to reserve grade so no-one's safe."

Second-rower Justin Horo said the side didn't want to blame an energy sapping win over the Roosters the week before as an excuse but said it may have contributed to the lacklustre showing.

"It was a very disappointing effort from us, a little bit embarrassing to be honest," Horo said.

"They came out firing and thoroughly deserved to win on the back of that.

"They got the jump on us on the weekend as a forward pack and we'll have to remember that for next time we play."

However Horo denied the side was ambushed by the Tigers' fast start.

"People bring that up, I don't think we ever get complacent about 'we're going to take it easier' on any certain sides, sometimes those big games like the Roosters takes a lot out of you, you don't really feel the effects until maybe the week after but that's just another excuse. We've got to be ready to play every week and we weren't."

Five-eighth Kieran Foran said despite the heavy nature of the loss there is no cause for concern.

"We probably just turned up a little bit off, you've got to give full credit to the Tigers, they played very direct and probably carried the ball a bit harder than we did and tackled a bit harder. I think we got blown off the park, it's a hard mountain to climb when you look up at the scoreboard and it's 26 nil," Foran said.

"I honestly couldn't remember the last time that's happened to us. It was unusual, it's a different sort of feeling, to have that feeling where you're continually behind the posts, we don't normally get that here.

"I just think it was one of those weeks, we've just got to put it behind us now and get back to the winning form."

Chris Kennedy

http://www.nrl.com/embarrassed-manly-pack-looks-to-restore-pride/tabid/10874/newsid/77491/default.aspx

I think the guys realise there are no easy games in the NRL anymore.

Good luck next week against the Sharks who are also due for a win. Lets hope its not against us.

I really noticed it during the game that the Tigers players were verbally giving it to our blokes. I couldn't believe it...

One things for sure I cant wait for the next game against the Tigers, the boys will definitely have a score to settle.

Hearing Aaron Woods on the side line (after reaming us) ,labelling Fulton and Galloway as the new bruise brothers..I couldn't disagree.They smashed us. I only hope that Tooves has that on vid loop in the sheds on the 11th July.

We have one of these games every know and then. We will bounce back this weekend. Anyone know if Jake T will get a run this year?

Thought he would be on the bench at least for this year

wombatgc said:
Hearing Aaron Woods on the side line (after reaming us) ,labelling Fulton and Galloway as the new bruise brothers..I couldn't disagree.They smashed us. I only hope that Tooves has that on vid loop in the sheds on the 11th July.

I can disagree; what have these clowns achieved in the game? Both are at the backend of their careers, and Fulton was a passenger coming off the bench in the 05 GF, Galloway has won bugger all, and played one Origin match.

They beat a flat Manly team at their home ground, and all of the sudden they are shooting their mouths off. As for Woods, he was given a bath by the QLD forwards when he played for NSW, and went missing in action. He is not a tough player, he just a solid first grade hit up merchant who had a good game on the weekend.

I cannot fathom how the Tigers pack are being measured on a couple of games. When they stand up year in year out in the biggest games of the year and play 4 GF within 6 seasons, can they lay claim to being a great pack of forwards.

Snake said:
wombatgc said:

I can disagree; what have these clowns achieved in the game? Both are at the backend of their careers, and Fulton was a passenger coming off the bench in the 05 GF, Galloway has won bugger all, and played one Origin match.

They beat a flat Manly team at their home ground, and all of the sudden they are shooting their mouths off. As for Woods, he was given a bath by the QLD forwards when he played for NSW, and went missing in action. He is not a tough player, he just a solid first grade hit up merchant who had a good game on the weekend.

I cannot fathom how the Tigers pack are being measured on a couple of games. When they stand up year in year out in the biggest games of the year and play 4 GF within 6 seasons, can they lay claim to being a great pack of forwards.

Keep believing that, I wan't to see the reprisal on the 11th July.

Hopefully they back up the rhetoric with a battering of the fish this weekend.

Beware the wounded Sea Eagle.......if I was Carney, Gallen etc I'd be getting mighty nervous about this weekend.

This is a team with Origin/Test/Premiership experience coming out of their collective wazoos, and they just were made to look very ordinary against the Tigers.......an absolute thrashing both on the scoreboard and on the Sharks bodies is coming this weekend.

Agree I hope the pigs bounce back and then some this week. Historically we usually do and it just happens to be Shark on the menu.

Also want the Tigpies to win about a dozen more games, make the 8 and do some damage there, before they start the verbal and strut.

Even Manly can have a bad day; we rarely have bad seasons ( or decades, Tigers...)

I don't usually buy into a lot of the pseudo pop psychology on forums, but I'm actually feeling the hurt pride a number of the boys may well be carrying, and tend to actually believe and understand the motivation for a big show of redemption this week. I may be off, but if they didn't show up this week then I would be quite concerned.

If over-confidence from winning 1 game i anything to go by....the cowboys are specials to thump tigers this weekend. Tigers been going on like they've won the next 5 gf's straight!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2