Even More Stupid!!!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Opposition calls for Superleague-style NRL overhaul

Sonny Bill Williams's defection from the Bulldogs has raised questions about the future of NRL playing contracts (Getty Images: Mark Nolan)

The Federal Opposition has called on the NRL to look at ideas from the ill-fated Superleague to carry out a major overhaul of the competition in the wake of Sonny Bill Williams's decision to quit the code.

Williams walked out on the Bulldogs over the weekend and is currently in London reportedly waiting to travel to France to link up with rugby union side Toulon.

The Bulldogs and the NRL are taking legal action to enforce his five-year contract.

But Opposition spokesman on sport Pat Farmer says the NRL has to look at expanding the game to compete with other codes.

"They need to have a very good look at John Ribot's original masterpiece, which was of course the Superleague, and see how on earth they're going to take on soccer and rugby in the future," he said.

"It is not so much about persecuting Sonny Bill Williams, but to look at what they're going to do as far as turning the NRL into a truly national sport or international sport."

Meanwhile, the manager of rugby league's Agents Association says he does not want to see players following Williams and walking out on their contracts.

Paul Osborne says he has got no problem with players heading overseas to make more money, and says agents are entitled to get the best deal possible for their clients.

But he said things needed to be done properly.

"When getting that result means breaking a contract, that's when we have problems," he said.

"But obviously if a player is free to go, his contract's finished here or the clubs prepared to let him go.

"Good luck to him, but what we're seeing at the moment isn't great."

Unbelievable - the opposition are asking for more time in opposition!!!!

all they need to do is clear out all super league crap and people from the game and take back to the arl

If there are going to be amalgamations of Sydney clubs then expect the old superleague teams to be the winners.  Manly should be sfe this time though. 

The comp needs to be national. We can't survive by sticking to 30% of the east coast.

The NRL has come to point where it needs to tell some of the Sydney clubs that if they want to stay in the comp, they need to relocate. Deciding who should be based on a membership drive over the next few years. Those with the lease members and % of home ground crowds should have to go.

doesn't need to be national.
NRL is a far more telegenic game than AFL and it rates heaps higher.  No point spending millions to transplant a team into some towm where no one gives a crap when there is far more money to be made from the game on tv, and it doesnt quite matter as much where the teams are orginally from.  Some expansion is fine: Central Coast, Wellington and maybe even WA.  But going further in to places like Adelaide would be a easte of time. 

The game would have more than enough money to retain whoever they wanted if they had a decent tv deal and if they improved their third patrty sponsorships. 

We need a Sunshine Coast team or Fraser Coast team. There are plenty of ppl up here who enjoy league

The Gronk link said:
How about a team that plays in your backyard Dan?

It didn't take long for you to become a parochial qlder!!

Well I am hardly going to advocate a new inclusion in the comp that doesn't benefit me!

And My backyard isn't big enough, SeaGull Oval will do though

The "John Ribot masterpiece"?! I think Farmer still has some pills left over from Nelson's party bowl. Trust the Libs to back a business model based on greed and increasing dollars to administrators.

It is not a bad idea but deep down I don't think a team would survive in the Sunshine Coast. I have known that area very well for over 20 years and the retirees couldn't care less unless the Toaders are beating the Blues. The only time they travel is when the caravan needs a service.

I would suggest allowing the cap to increase by 50% and do so by allowing a change to the club constitutions enabling corporate and individual ownership. Sydney needs to lose about 4 teams. Central Coast would definitely work and perhaps a club based around Coffs or Port.

ManlyBacker link said:
It is not a bad idea but deep down I don't think a team would survive in the Sunshine Coast. I have known that area very well for over 20 years and the retirees couldn't care less unless the Toaders are beating the Blues. The only time they travel is when the caravan needs a service.

Coffs or Port.

Sunshine coast and Hervey bay is an infinitely different place to even 5 years ago. No longer is it the Newly Weds or Nearly Dead's even last night at OzTag I was astounded at how many people my age had moved up here. Quite a few from Sydney and Central Coast

As for Coffs, we all know what happened the last time footballers were there!

The only areas that don't have teams that might be commercial are the Sunshine Coast in the future and the Central Coast. Melbourne are propped up by News and still can't make a buck despite two premierships and all the media help. Perth has the Force and the Saffies over there won't embrace League. Adelaide is just plain dead. Even the Warriors in NZ are struggling to keep afloat.

Raise the cap and you lose teams, less players play grade and in the end you will end up with about 8 elite teams and a 12 team Sydney suburban comp similar to pre 1988!!!

There is the type of money we are talking about coming into the Sunshine Coast right now. The real estate profiteers are waning. The infrastructure backenders are positioning as we speak.

If there was a Sunshine Coast NRL Sea Eagles they would win the chase for the corporate dollar very quickly.   

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4