Every game live $1.7 billion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
WWW.abc grandstand are reporting the new deal is nearly done, I'd hope google or another Web based business would have been included to broaden access."

Quote:

"The NRL could receive up to $1.7 billion in a record broadcast deal with Fox Sports which will see every game in every round shown live for the first time.

News Corp reported on Tuesday the soon-to-be-secured deal between the NRL and Fox Sports for rugby league broadcast rights from 2018 to 2022 could see major changes to match scheduling, including a Thursday night game and possibly ending Monday night football.

Only one match would be held on Friday night under the new deal, with three on both Saturday and Sunday and the new Thursday night football fixture.

All eight matches would be shown live on Fox Sports, with an additional three games to be broadcast live on free-to-air television.

State of Origin, said to be more valuable than even the NRL grand final, will remain on free-to-air.

The $1.7 billion broadcast windfall will be a 70 per cent increase on their current $1billion deal, which would help the NRL to lift the salary cap from $7.5 million to $11 million.

Grants to clubs would also rise from $7.8 million to $12 million, helping them retain the game's elite players."

Amazing news if foxtel will be showing all games live. Channel 9 can get stuffed.

If you have foxtel :confused:. I know that Fox coverage is better but keeping games on free to air is important for keeping your supporter base.

Glad to hear the Monday night game is switching to thursday, and hopefully we will get some Saturday arvo fixtures.

Intersting read about the salary cap, that lifetime deal with DCE is looking even better.

Last edited:
To lock a sport into a single platform deal until 2022 is just crazy. The way we are changing our viewing habits I think the nrl is missing a huge opportunity.
Edit, cam Smith will never retire when he sees these $$$

If you have foxtel :confused:. I know that Fox coverage is better but keeping games on free to air is important for keeping your supporter base.

Glad to hear the Monday night game is switching to thursday, and hopefully we will get some Saturday arvo fixtures.

Intersting read about the salary cap, that lifetime deal with DCE is looking even better.
I agree but the new deal is giving more FTA games aswell so a win/win really.

The govt ensures a certain amount of games are shown free to air including origin and gf in the good of public interest. There is an agreement in place that is renegotiated every so often. Anti siphoning agreement.

Under those terms cherries contract doesnt look to huge either. In 5 years he may be cheap

I'm skeptical that the "deal is almost done". Have the 12 non-NRL owned clubs voted on it? I believe this is just 'spin' from that Scottish banker.

I'm skeptical that the "deal is almost done". Have the 12 non-NRL owned clubs voted on it? I believe this is just 'spin' from that Scottish banker.

Agreed, isnt there mutiny in the air from those 12 clubs??

NRL propaganda at best. The clubs have had a gutful, the real story will break very soon.

I might have to stop being a cheap bastard and get Foxtel........
I wouldn't say your being a cheap bastard lol, Foxtel is a ripoff but its a must if you love sports imo. You can get the sports pack for around 50 bucks a month which isnt too bad at 13 bucks a week.

If this ends the Broncos mortgage on Friday night football then I'm happy.
Well it should as it would be the priority match of the week, and I doubt it that Brisbane would be a priority that often, unless they were playing a high ranking Sydney team

The clubs will be happy with the lift in the funds they get to 12m. And if figures are true there is now 1m difference between salary cap and amount they get.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2