Ex Ballboy has pivotal role

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
EX Ballboy has pivotal role

By Dean Ritchie
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25080384-5016544,00.html

A HUMBLE Manly ballboy from the mid-1980s has emerged as a pivotal figure in the futures of Sea Eagles heavyweights Des Hasler, Grant Mayer and Peter Peters.

Philip Dean, a former Sea Eagles marketing manager, is on a seven-man Manly board which is about to decide the future of Hasler, Mayer and Peters.

But Dean is not new to Manly fans, who may remember him on the Brookvale Oval sidelines as ballboy for a 1986 side that included club legends Noel Cleal, Geoff Toovey, Paul Vautin and Cliff Lyons.

Dean was among five of seven directors who voted against Mayer's contract extension, although the CEO - whose resignation has not yet been accepted - may still make a return next season if some board members reverse their decision.

Dean has sided with the Max Delmege faction, fiercely opposed to the Penn clique, which includes Peters and Mayer. He has also been working on Hasler's new deal, which included several Key Performance Indicators - despite the coach's premiership triumph last season.

Hasler was confused last week as to whether he would be offered a new one- or two-year deal. Dean will vote on whether Peters, club events and media manager and Manly institution, is retained.

Dean raised eyebrows by completing a premiership victory lap with the players last year despite having only been a board member for less than three months. He was also given a premiership ring - bemusing players.

"I don't want this being played out in the media,'' Dean said last night. "I've got no comment.''

The drama continues the bloody boardroom battle engulfing Manly as it prepares to play Harlequins in England on Sunday morning.

Peters was last night defiant in the face of being sacked after accusing Delmege on radio last weekend of being "un-Manly'' over a backflip on the future of Mayer.

"I won't be quitting. I'm a life member of the club, are they are going to sack me?'' Peters said. "I've done nothing wrong. I was only supporting Grant Mayer. If there's going to be blood on the floor, my blood, then so be it.''

Manly Leagues Club has paid its outstanding debt of $88,000 to the football club. "It's done. They accepted the terms that we put to them,'' said Leagues Club chairman Bob Reilly. He said the delay in payment came after the Scott Penn-Max Delmege joint venture to redevelop the Leagues Club fell over. Reilly denied the $88,000 was paid through Delmege's lost deposit.

The article is less than complimentary of him and appears to be the work of Penn/Mayer.

Why should he get a premiership ring?  I thought only players and the coach received rings?  The people who actually contributed to the premiership win. 

KPI's for Des?  I think Des knows what he is doing FFS.  Maybe Dean should stick to playing with his footballs.  The sooner the club gets rid of hangers on like this guy the better because they are ripping the club apart at the moment.

Why is the future of Mayer and Peters reliant on this guy?

I look forward to Zorba's column tomorrow.   

I really know nothing about this guy.

Can anyone fill me in? Why does he have such an important role in the club? Other than having been a ball boy 30 years ago?

willstyles link said:

Can anyone fill me in? Why does he have such an important role in the club? Other than having been a ball boy 30 years ago?

He used to be marketing manager I believe. I am actually surprised he is siding with Delmege given comments that were exposed in an article that contained information directly from Phillip Dean a number of years ago.

He was actually pretty good at the marketing caper to an extent as well, I don't hold malice toward him though I would say that given the article it's likely he may hold some to some on this site, i wouldn't know really.

However I think he has moved up the ranks from there anyway, I know he lost his marketing position and has now been moved to secretary for the board or something

Look, the important point in this article is that Mayer and Peter Peters took sides with Board Directors.  They are both employees of the Board and as such should not 'take sides' with any faction.  This article seems to have been inserted into the Tele to discredit Deans and, by implication, Delmege.  Nothing good for the club will come out of this sort of destabilization.  It would be interesting to find out who got in the ear of Ritchie for this article, although I guess we all know.      

Premiership rings, rare as hens teeth, being taken by directors, GMs, and the like, smacks of out of control egos.  Hard to imagine Deans was the only director to receive one.

True leaders put personal egos aside.

You guys are missing the main Point... It sounds like haslers position is only 80% in safety instead of the 99.9999999 it should be. Why wouldn't you offer Des another 3-5 years?

DSM5 link said:
It would be interesting to find out who got in the ear of Ritchie for this article, although I guess we all know.      

Exactly, it's not hard to work out who is feeding the Tele these stories, and why wouldn't he? His job is on the line here, and everyone is playing dirty - why should this individual play it any differently?

Cheers for the info on Dean, Dan - at least he has some history at the club in an administrative role.

There was a great quote made recently in Dubbo by one Counsellor referring to another.

"If you were to compile a village out of all the village idiots,  ....... ............. would be the village idiot".

Phillip Deans is Secretary of the Football Club. As said he has long administrative experience but it does appear he was moved aside from the marketing/publicity role when Pat Wilson came in as CEO.

I wonder why all the focus by the Daily on him when he is one of three non-owners on the board. A majority of four is needed before any motion is carried and experience tells that anything less than unanimous will cause all sorts of lobbying.

Again, I wonder what motives Dean has for shafting Mayer? Is it simply to find a CEO who is more likely to kow-tow to those on the Football Club, who probably see themselves as the custodians of the club and the protectors of life on the Peninsula and the 'seaside way'.

I suppose I am asking, is this a personal thing or a genuine concern about Mayer.

I do note that at least Dean is keeping the argument in-house nad not using the media.

Will, it all looked to be settling down and now this.  Who gives out the GF rings?  I would have thought it was the NRL.  If it is, what are they doing handing out more than those to the players and coach.  If the club wants to recognize all those who gave their time and energy to get the team through to the GF and win it, then has the club given out their own brand of GF ring?  Peters would now have two, one for his 73 player contribution and one for being there last year.    

Dan link said:
He used to be marketing manager I believe. I am actually surprised he is siding with Delmege given comments that were exposed in an article that contained information directly from Phillip Dean a number of years ago.

He was sacked by Pat Wilson during his tenure as CEO I believe.

Dan link said:
[quote author=willstyles link=topic=179216.msg207601#msg207601 date=1235083884]

He was actually pretty good at the marketing caper to an extent as well, I don't hold malice toward him though I would say that given the article it's likely he may hold some to some on this site, i wouldn't know really.

However I think he has moved up the ranks from there anyway, I know he lost his marketing position and has now been moved to secretary for the board or something
[/quote]

He was sacked by Pat Wilson during his tenure as CEO I believe so that may give some insight into his competence.

That email would be dynamite if it could be found, wouldn't it ........

This bloke is a turd! A typical marketer who thinks they are more important and valuable to an organisation than what they are.  

KPI's for Des?? Please, this clown is just trying to justify his position with ridiculous conditions using wanky business buzz words.  Des' re-appointment is an open and shut case - "how long do you want to coach for Des??!!" should be the question.

Ask Mata's about KPIs, he seems to be wedded to them.  They're about as relevant as 'change agent', 'outcomes', 'time and motion management', and all the other bull****e business terms that have come and gone with time.  Hasler should be given a three year contract, one to get us back to back and then two to rebuild for another run at a premiership in 2012.

DSM5 link said:
Will, it all looked to be settling down and now this.  Who gives out the GF rings?  I would have thought it was the NRL.  If it is, what are they doing handing out more than those to the players and coach.  If the club wants to recognize all those who gave their time and energy to get the team through to the GF and win it, then has the club given out their own brand of GF ring?  Peters would now have two, one for his 73 player contribution and one for being there last year.   

As far as I know, I thought the company that makes the NRL rings is only commissioned by the NRL to make rings for the players who play in the game, the extended squad (so this year Willow and Cuthbo would've got one each because they were named on an extended bench) and one for the coach.

From memory there was a bit of conjecture about whether someone was going to get a premiership ring this year (i think it was Cam Smith maybe?) and someone offered to buy one for him (had the Storm been victorious). So maybe the club can go outside the NRL and buy extra rings - maybe Delmege splashed out and bought a bunch of extra rings for people who contributed to the win? I dunno. Just speculating here.

Matabele link said:
He was sacked by Pat Wilson during his tenure as CEO I believe so that may give some insight into his competence.

That email would be dynamite if it could be found, wouldn't it ........

Interesting. I spoke to Pat once and found him to be very helpful, but I don't remember much about him - is being sacked by Pat a particularly bad thing? Or was Pat kind of in charge of sacking heaps of people because he came in at a time when the club was basically deadwood.

I don't remember that email either. What did Dean do?

Matabele link said:
Dean bagged Delmege badly for his intervention in the Monasgate affair. 

Deans voting against mayer and Peters sounds like payback to Delmage.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6