Expansion likely put off to 2015

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagles2win

Bencher
Gallop has come out and said the this is the likely year of expansion.

IMO this put's an end to the Bears bid and possibly the CQld bid.

This really play's into the hands of three bids hands

WA Reds

Ipswich

Brisbane 2

The IC would be stupid to ignore these three.

The NRL desperately need a team in WA and more teams in QLD. A 2nd Brisbane or at least southern QLD team would add to the TV deal. How many people in Brisbane would have foxtel? The Boncos play most of their games on Friday nights and there is no need for the majority of their fans to fork out for a few non-friday games a year. By bringing in another QLD team, the obligatory QLD friday night game gets spread more between Brisbane, GC and the new QLD team (given the Cowboys play all their games on Saturdays) and QLD fans will be forced to get foxtel like NSW fans. The CC Bears add absolutely nothing to the game and simply put more pressure on Sydney clubs (which there is already too many of) for fans and for juniors. The Brisbane 2 bid have already publicly stated that they believe WA will be atmitted, the fight is on for the 2nd spot.

The lead that the CC has on developing their bid will be eaten away with any delays in expansion since they can't really do much more where other bids certainly can. IMO the fact that the CC bid is claiming to cover the area from Neutral Bay to the CC means they are accepting that they are another Sydney club and should automatically be eliminated by the NRL from the possibility of entering in the next expansion round.

One would think this would be a decision for the yet to be created IC rather then gallop, but it seems not.

Looks like we can already see who wears the pants in the NRL.

He also felt that fans don't want a knockout comp between the teams.

Sorry Dave didn't receive that memo.
I want Manly to have that many trophies it causes blindness when people walk in to the trophy room

Excellent news if it means the bears are dead and buried once and for all

Bears wont be a premiership threat,i dont care if they let them in as the CENTRAL COAST BEARS,north sydney however they can stay out of,that is ours

The bears are dead anyway, so I would pefer to see someone bring a team in and break up brisbanes one city advantage. Also a MWTS trip to perth sounds like gold.

2015,you say!That would test the resolve of all those CC bears members and sponsors.I wonder how long they're going to ante up,with no exposure for the sponsors,and no team for the members,for another 4 years?hahaha.....bye bye bears!

I certainly wouldn't be forking out my hard earned annually for a non-existant team, especially when there is no guarantee that the team will ever exist.

Expansion = Thinning

Not a good idea unless you can lure quality players back from the Superleague, or have an expansion program at the bottom end to develop and promote juniors.

The 2011 season already seems a little thin on quality, star players, as the gulf between the top and the bottom teams widens.

There definitely needs to be a second Brisbane team. The Broncos have such a huge advantage over other clubs, being the only fish in a big pond.

Is there a clause in the TV contract that one of the Friday night matches has to feature a Qld team? Or is this just implied?

Why wouldn't a true Qld RL supporter watch a Friday night match between non-Qld teams? I watch non-Sydney matches. Would the ratings fall off that much in Qld?

I also don't know why Channel Nine want two Friday night matches. Frankly, I was happy for it to be a delayed telecast starting at 8.30pm. I made sure I didn't know the progress score and treated it as I do the delayed Sunday telecast as if it is live.

I vehemently believe we should have more matches on a Sunday afternoon. You get bigger crowds and better standards of football. You could spread the coverage among several TV networks, perhaps one match starting at 12.30pm, another at 2pm and then the 4pm delayed coverage.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6