Experience the key for Manly: Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

WAMF

Bencher
Trailing 18-6 at halftime in Perth to the Warriors last week, Manly's defence of their NRL premiership was in real danger of being surrendered without even making the finals.

A Jorge Taufua try just before the interval saw the Sea Eagles finish the first half with some consolation having been dominated by the team they beat to win the 2011 grand final.

But you don't reach three grand finals in five seasons without knowing a bit about how to win in adversity and that is precisely what Geoff Toovey's side did, reeling in the Warriors' lead to prevail 24-22 thanks to two late Daly Cherry-Evans tries.

The win moved Manly into sixth spot on the ladder, and they now sit outside of the top-four only by virtue of their inferior points differential to North Queensland and Brisbane.

And this is why Steve Matai believes the other teams in finals contention should be wary of Manly in the final five rounds of the campaign.

"The good thing was no one was worried at halftime when we were 18-6 down," Matai told AAP.

"We knew we could come back and win. Because we know each other so well and we've played with each other for so long, that really helps us.

"We've got some youngsters that have come in, but the core group is still there and we know we can still play well."

Injuries and suspensions have been a staple of Matai's career since making his debut in 2004, but the same has applied to Manly this season.

Brett Stewart, Tony Williams, Glenn Stewart and Kieran Foran have all spent significant time on the sidelines. But with the quartet all set to face North Queensland on Saturday, Matai believes the best is yet to come.

"We've had our ups and down with injuries and suspensions and not always been able to put our best team out much this year," Matai said.

"But now we are getting close to that with Brett coming back, and now we've got everyone back on board we're going to be a very tough team to beat for the rest of this season."

Matai is also enjoying a good run in the side after overcoming a serious thumb problem that required surgery and is targeting a return to the New Zealand Test side.

"The neck is settling alright, the shoulder is still giving me a bit of drama. But the medical team here are fantastic and looking after me," he said.

"I've had a shoulder op, I had my thumb done, my neck two years ago but it's coming together now.

"It's been nice to string a few games together, not missing one and the other.

"I've not played for New Zealand for two years now due to injury and suspension, and it would be great to play in the Test in October."

http://www.nrl.com/experience-the-key-for-manly-matai/tabid/10874/newsid/68994/default.aspx

Trailing 18-6 at halftime in Perth to the Warriors last week, Manly's defence of their NRL premiership was in real danger of being surrendered without even making the finals.

A Jorge Taufua try just before the interval saw the Sea Eagles finish the first half with some consolation having been dominated by the team they beat to win the 2011 grand final.

But you don't reach three grand finals in five seasons without knowing a bit about how to win in adversity and that is precisely what Geoff Toovey's side did, reeling in the Warriors' lead to prevail 24-22 thanks to two late Daly Cherry-Evans tries.

The win moved Manly into sixth spot on the ladder, and they now sit outside of the top-four only by virtue of their inferior points differential to North Queensland and Brisbane.

And this is why Steve Matai believes the other teams in finals contention should be wary of Manly in the final five rounds of the campaign.

"The good thing was no one was worried at halftime when we were 18-6 down," Matai told AAP.

"We knew we could come back and win. Because we know each other so well and we've played with each other for so long, that really helps us.

"We've got some youngsters that have come in, but the core group is still there and we know we can still play well."

Injuries and suspensions have been a staple of Matai's career since making his debut in 2004, but the same has applied to Manly this season.

Brett Stewart, Tony Williams, Glenn Stewart and Kieran Foran have all spent significant time on the sidelines. But with the quartet all set to face North Queensland on Saturday, Matai believes the best is yet to come.

"We've had our ups and down with injuries and suspensions and not always been able to put our best team out much this year," Matai said.

"But now we are getting close to that with Brett coming back, and now we've got everyone back on board we're going to be a very tough team to beat for the rest of this season."

Matai is also enjoying a good run in the side after overcoming a serious thumb problem that required surgery and is targeting a return to the New Zealand Test side.

"The neck is settling alright, the shoulder is still giving me a bit of drama. But the medical team here are fantastic and looking after me," he said.

"I've had a shoulder op, I had my thumb done, my neck two years ago but it's coming together now.

"It's been nice to string a few games together, not missing one and the other.

"I've not played for New Zealand for two years now due to injury and suspension, and it would be great to play in the Test in October."

http://www.nrl.com/experience-the-key-for-manly-matai/tabid/10874/newsid/68994/default.aspx

Well, either this is going to be another case of foot in mouth, or the boys are really going to put their money where their mouth is and turn it on. I wait and see.

Well, either this is going to be another case of foot in mouth, or the boys are really going to put their money where their mouth is and turn it on. I wait and see.

Matai has been one of our most consistent players this year. I think he is entitled to express confidence in the teams chances. When it comes to crunch time in the finals this Manly team has a wealth of finals footy experience. The big stage won't effect them. Can Souths or the Bulldogs say the same thing?

Matai has been one of our most consistent players this year. I think he is entitled to express confidence in the teams chances. When it comes to crunch time in the finals this Manly team has a wealth of finals footy experience. The big stage won't effect them. Can Souths or the Bulldogs say the same thing?

Matai has been awesome this year and been a real leader in the team

Matai has been awesome this year and been a real leader in the team

captainskin said:

Don't worry about Matai hel back it up on the field. Always does.

captainskin said:

Don't worry about Matai hel back it up on the field. Always does.

you almost get the impression the team has been waiting for this for a while. This years form has made it harder to be absolutely confident they will rise from a fans view, but there is no doubting they have weapons in the arsenal that no other teams have. If it clicks they are unbeatable, but thats an If. In my view it would only take 2 mean arse, back to back performances to scare the whole comp and shatter belief from many pretenders in the league

you almost get the impression the team has been waiting for this for a while. This years form has made it harder to be absolutely confident they will rise from a fans view, but there is no doubting they have weapons in the arsenal that no other teams have. If it clicks they are unbeatable, but thats an If. In my view it would only take 2 mean arse, back to back performances to scare the whole comp and shatter belief from many pretenders in the league

Manly have the will and the experience to win from whatever position:angel:

The Perth game ended with them scoring 5 tries to 4.
It was only Killer's off night with the kicks that made the scoreboard look like it was a close game, no commentator picked up the anomaly:dodgy:

The Dogs and Rabbitohs are the ones talking up their GF aspirations.
The Son Of Sam would be squirming under the spotlight :p

B2B Manly, any contender needs to take it off you as the Premiership is in your keeping;)

Manly have the will and the experience to win from whatever position:angel:

It was only Killer's off night with the kicks that made the scoreboard look like it was a close game, no commentator picked up the anomaly:dodgy:

The Dogs and Rabbitohs are the ones talking up their GF aspirations.
The Son Of Sam would be squirming under the spotlight :p

B2B Manly, any contender needs to take it off you as the Premiership is in your keeping;)

HappilyManly said:

Other than when the commentators mentioned Killer had missed 3 conversions from the sideline, I guess you're right !

HappilyManly said:

Other than when the commentators mentioned Killer had missed 3 conversions from the sideline, I guess you're right !

WAMF said:
HappilyManly said:

I meant that they said it was won at the death, but Manly were in fact crossing their goal line with ease in the last 20 minutes.

WAMF said:
HappilyManly said:

I meant that they said it was won at the death, but Manly were in fact crossing their goal line with ease in the last 20 minutes.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8