Extra prop options for next years team.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
From most reports cunningham and oldfield didn't look out of place in the junior kangaroos test, and both seem to have long rep futures. Maybee Cunningham could be the extra prop in our rotation this year. Would be a great cheap prop, and someone we can retain well into the next few years when he hits his peak.  Let's just hope they give him a full offseason to prepare and bulk up and be read to fill a bench impact props position. 

I don't know that you'd consider him extra, I think he's well and truly part of the plans.

i only meant that everyone seems hell bent on securing another prop. Maybee james cunningham is viewed as a better option for us. If they have seen fit to give him a junior kangaroo test spot he must have alot of potential.  I seem to also think that the club might be looking forward with its recruitment plans to the forming of the independant comission. Where the retention of juniors, that will recieve big salary cap  dispensation for years of service will become a must. i am at least willing to lay some faith in the club, and hope that this is possibly behind alot of their recruiting for the future. Lets hope that our new bunch of juniors who already seem to be getting alot of junior rep honours will become the backbone for our club and alow us plenty of room to move under the cap in the future, through this club loyalty scheme.

I put it to you this way, he hasn't got much in front of him - if he is any good he should get a shot next season at some stage

clontaago link said:
Our props for next year dont look good against other sides.

Agree - Kite and King need to play at their absolute bets all year, George has to get fit.  Cross/Cunningham/Joe G and anybody else really need to stand up.  I think Props are more of a risk than half back actually

Well, I'm excited by the prospect of a local junior prop who is a junior kangaroo. This year according to the MWSE website he was 197cm and 102 kg. I reckon there'd be a fair bit of excitement on this blog if we signed a junior international prop who is that size at a young age. So Rhino I'm with you, it's a great thing that we have him as a future prospect.

Cunningham will be at least one possibly two years away from playing first grade.

Ds intends using Joe G as a makeshift prop this year.  

Fro link said:
What about next year Tookey?

Nah next years ****ed.  Joe G has a bad injury and won't be back for the start of the season.  I thought that he was good this year though.  Better than quicksand cross

tookey link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=185844.msg304024#msg304024 date=1288067016]
Better than quicksand cross

You just cant help but get that sinking feeling when you cross quicksand.

Shoe1 link said:
Well, I'm excited by the prospect of a local junior prop who is a junior kangaroo. This year according to the MWSE website he was 197cm and 102 kg. I reckon there'd be a fair bit of excitement on this blog if we signed a junior international prop who is that size at a young age. So Rhino I'm with you, it's a great thing that we have him as a future prospect.

I agree. Everyone jizzes themselves if we sign someone but they seem to see retention of juniors as a sign that we can't compete.
Screw that attitude. I want to see a day when we have a whole team that've never played first grade for another club & a fair chunk of them are local juniors. It may never happen as sometimes you need to look elsewhere to ensure the team is competitive but it should be something to aim for even if we know we'll never quite get it.

Duff link said:
[quote author=Shoe1 link=topic=185844.msg304016#msg304016 date=1288062785]

I agree. Everyone jizzes themselves if we sign someone but they seem to see retention of juniors as a sign that we can't compete.
Screw that attitude. I want to see a day when we have a whole team that've never played first grade for another club & a fair chunk of them are local juniors. It may never happen as sometimes you need to look elsewhere to ensure the team is competitive but it should be something to aim for even if we know we'll never quite get it.
[/quote]Agree with all of the above. I remember when our 76 and 78 premiership winning teams each had 8 local juniors (including reserve players). Plus the likes of Eadie, Fulton, Steve Martin et al. So much for buying premierships!

Stewart (wollongong)
Robertson (Canberra)
Bell (Storm)
Matai (Wynumm Manly)
Williams (Parra)
Lyon (St Helens - Parra)
Orford (Norther Eagle - Storm)
Kite (Dragons)
Ballin (Brisbane)
Perry (Newcastle)
Watmough (Local Junior)
Hall (South Sydney)
Stewart (Wollongong)

LeStrange (Sydney city)
Bryant (No idea)
King (Local Junior)
Beaver (Local Junior)

You could almost say that we bought our 2008 Premiership.

Copa Eagle link said:
Stewart (wollongong)
Robertson (Canberra)
Bell (Storm)
Matai (Wynumm Manly)
Williams (Parra)
Lyon (St Helens - Parra)
Orford (Norther Eagle - Storm)
Kite (Dragons)
Ballin (Brisbane)
Perry (Newcastle)
Watmough (Local Junior)
Hall (South Sydney)
Stewart (Wollongong)

LeStrange (Sydney city)
Bryant (No idea)
King (Local Junior)
Beaver (Local Junior)

You could almost say that we bought our 2008 Premiership.

Orford - Norths
Kite - Canberra
LeStrange - Parra
Bryant - Canberra

I dare say that manly would not have won premierships without the likes of Brannigan, O'Neill, Reilly, Lowe, Lyons, Boyd, Ridge etc none of whom were juniors.  

We would have a better chance of having more juniors come through the ranks if we had a reserve grade side because at the moment a lot of players are are lost to the club once they leave under 20's and don't make the sunshine coast side.

If it wasn't for reserve grade I doubt that the likes of Glenn Stewart, Hall or Bryant would have made it to first grade with us.

The NRL won't give salary cap concessions for junior players who come through the ranks because it would favour teams like Penrif, Parramatta etc over clubs like the roosters and us to a lesser degree.

There is little incentive to develop juniors when there are no concessions offered and clubs like the roosters can come and poach them anyway.

I don't think that there would be many supporters who wouldn't jizz themselves if we signed Burgess from souths for next year. 

Sorry Rambo lol. back to topic:

Starting Forwards:
8. King
9.Ballin
10.Kite
11.Watmough
12.Rodney
13.Stewart

Bench:
Williams
Cunningham
Rose
Cross

Post  automatically merged: [time]1288157642[/time]

tookey link said:
I dare say that manly would not have won premierships without the likes of Brannigan, O'Neill, Reilly, Lowe, Lyons, Boyd, Ridge etc none of whom were juniors. 

We would have a better chance of having more juniors come through the ranks if we had a reserve grade side because at the moment any late bloomers are lost to the system once they leave under 20's and don't make the sunshine coast side.

If it wasn't for reserve grade I doubt that the likes of Glenn Stewart, Hall or Bryant would have made it to first grade with us.

Then again it has been shown many times in the past that teams lose their promising juniors to clubs who simly pay them more.

The NRL won't give salary cap concessions for junior players who come through the ranks because it would favour teams like Penrif, Parramatta etc over clubs like the roosters and us to a lesser degree.

I dream of the day when i can sit on the Kill watch under 20,s Reserve Grade then 1st grade !

Post  automatically merged: [time]1288157728[/time]

hill lol *

These day's you need a mixture of local's and player's from other area's.
Also think some of the prop's mentioned in this thread are 2 -3 year's away from making it into the NRL.

Wouldn't surprise me if we make a move for a big name prop next season.

Cunningham is still way too young. Props aren't ready to handle it properly till mid 20's.

You've been doing too much housework mickqld, judging from that sweeping statement.

Some props don't 'mature' until they are a bit older, in fact I'd agree that probably most don't. But there are definitely some who can cut it from a young age, and there have always been such players.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4