Extra round in 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Auckland's Eden Park is being lined up to host a lucrative rugby league double-header in 2013 with the NRL looking at adding an extra round that season.
The NRL are looking to stage the round at three venues.
Eden Park could potentially host two matches including the Warriors on a Friday night, Brisbane would enjoy a triple-header on Saturday and three matches would be played at ANZ Stadium in Sydney on the Sunday.
The NRL believes the concept is commercially attractive; suggesting $A3m ($NZ3.75m) in gate-takings could be split evenly amongst the clubs.
"The blockbuster round concept is something which we would like to discuss with the clubs but we believe it could be an exciting new concept for fans," said NRL football operations director Nathan McGuirk.
Club chairman and chief executives will vote on the concept today in Sydney.
There are also continued suggestions of Auckland getting to host a State of Origin game.
There are also hopes to play the Origin games on Mondays from 2013 with an eye on player welfare.
Eden Park has hosted a rugby league World Cup final, an Anzac test and this year the Warriors kicked off their season there against the Eels.

I like the concept but I couldn't sit through 3 games! The double header is OK but obviously only if your team is involved. Of course it doesn't mean zip if your watching it on TV, just as long as ours is an away game anyway.

I went to the double-header at Suncorp and must admit I lost interest in the second match - Dogs V Titans - after a few minutes, and went to the Manly after function.
It was like watching reserve grade, in more ways than one. I'm not sure it is a successful formula.

The stupidity of the NRL never ceases to amaze me.

First thing is that no one is going to sit through three matches, either at the ground or on tv.

Secondly, why add an extra round to the comp to do this? Why not just use one of the twenty six rounds of football that are already played?

The reason I would imagine they are adding an extra round is so no teams are short changed on gate takings. On a normal round the 8 home teams (which may not at their normal home ground) split the gate takings.

With this concept they will split gate takings between all teams, so it would be unfair to make it part of the normal schedule.

But as others have said I don't see the point of 3 games in a row at one ground.

With the tv, do 9and Fox both have to set up cameras and commentary booths at the Suncorp on the Sunday, and assuming 7pm and 9pm (local) for the 2 games in NZ on the Friday means 9 can delay both games by several hours ... Yay !!

It's a stupid idea. They are doing it to try to get a packed house. You'll have fans of the first 2 teams playing leave either immediately after their team has played or at some point during the second game. Very few people who support the 3rd teams will turn up much before half time in the second match. They are not going to get the atmosphere they are after. Also, who's going to play the 2nd NZ game? Is it going to be something like Canberra v Cronulla where you'll get bugger all fans tuning up?
The fact that the idea got this far shows how many idiots there are at the NRL. The idea should have been shut down between the brain and the mouth of the idiot that thought of it.

NRL copying something of the RLF.

They usually put teams against rivals i.e in the Super League they do this:
Wigan vs St Helens
Hull FC vs Hull KR
Bradford vs Leeds

That wouldn't surprise me but the rugby league playing region of England covers an area no bigger than the area from Newcastle to Wollongong. To play a triple header with all teams coming from within that area makes a little more sense. To play 3 games in Brisbane with even one of the "home" teams having to travel about 1300km and all 3 away teams having to travel interstate just doesn't make sense. It makes even less sense to have 2 games in NZ with 3 teams travelling.

firechild said:
That wouldn't surprise me but the rugby league playing region of England covers an area no bigger than the area from Newcastle to Wollongong. To play a triple header with all teams coming from within that area makes a little more sense. To play 3 games in Brisbane with even one of the "home" teams having to travel about 1300km and all 3 away teams having to travel interstate just doesn't make sense. It makes even less sense to have 2 games in NZ with 3 teams travelling.

Catalan still have to travel over the channel as well.
Not saying it's a good idea though.
The idea that I'm loving is the Kiwi Origin Series. Hopefully kids from New Zealand will now stop picking NSW or QLD

Wolfpack said:

First thing is that no one is going to sit through three matches, either at the ground or on tv.

WTF? Poeple do it every Saturday night!

Fonz said:
Wolfpack said:

WTF? Poeple do it every Saturday night!

I actually do 4 sometimes 5

NYC/Qld Cup, NRL game 1, 2, 3 and sometimes a stream of a Super League game

eagles2win said:
firechild said:

The idea that I'm loving is the Kiwi Origin Series. Hopefully kids from New Zealand will now stop picking NSW or QLD

But the triple header that was mentioned was this:
Wigan vs St Helens
Hull FC vs Hull KR
Bradford vs Leeds

So none of the teams are travelling very far. Not like Melbourne and Canberra playing in Brisbane or Auckland.

firechild said:
eagles2win said:
firechild said:

But the triple header that was mentioned was this:
Wigan vs St Helens
Hull FC vs Hull KR
Bradford vs Leeds

So none of the teams are travelling very far. Not like Melbourne and Canberra playing in Brisbane or Auckland.

They play a full round at one of the big stadiums(this year at Millenium Stadium). That was three games that came to mind.
But if you want the full thing:

Wigan vs St Helens
Castleford vs Wakefield
Catalan vs Quins
Huddersfield vs Warrington
Hull FC vs Hull KR
Bradford vs Leeds
Crusaders vs Salford

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10