Facebook vs Myspace

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Interesting to see what Murdoch has to say about Facebook.  He didn't get rich by getting things wrong, but I'm not sure about this one:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/facebook-just-a-directory-myspace-owner-murdoch-says/2008/06/23/1214073106435.html

For mine Facebook is vastly better than myspace.  Myspace has become just another SPAM service for dodgy artists eager to make a name for themselves.  IMHO Facebook is much better from the perspective of "social networking".  Might be an INFJ thing though.

They have 2 different aims.

Facebook is now being picked up by universities as a learning and networking tool. We have a link into it with our applications so you can network with ppl doing your course or even in your class!

We also have another service names Scholar which is the same as facebook

Myspace aims at the entertainment industry, it is a way for people with say a band to show and provide their music to the world and maintain a band profile etc.
That is and was it's main and original aim, it was also a way for ppl who say liked "A band" to find other ppl who liked the band and then go in together.

What Murdoch is saying is actually true, Facebook is more of a gimmick site, and not truly Social networking, you can go on there and find friends and then all of a sudden have a million stupid applications plugged in and people flinging crap at you.

It's navigation leaves a little to be desired also.

I rarely use either, I have a rpofile on both but very rarely login as there is not a great need for me to do so.

If I were a student I would use Facebook with it's education sector aims, and tie ins with Blackboard and CE Vista, and also use it to network with people on campus.

If I were a DJ or band I would use myspace to promote.

I agree with the add-on problems on Facebook but I don't add the wants that are silly or that I don't like. It has allowed me to catch up with many old friends that I hadn't seen for years.

Dan link said:
Myspace aims at the entertainment industry, it is a way for people with say a band to show and provide their music to the world and maintain a band profile etc.
That is and was it's main and original aim, it was also a way for ppl who say liked \"A band\" to find other ppl who liked the band and then go in together.

So exactly what I was saying - myspace is a SPAM site for dodgy musical "talent".  Exactly why I avoid it.

Dan, perhaps you and I have a different understanding of "social networking" that comes with being extrovert/introvert. 

I reckon the Introverts like Facebook because it gives them a reactionary firewall.  Myspace is invasive.

And as an advertiser, Facebook advertising ROCKS!

I disagree there, now that facebook releases profiles to google!

Social networking has many forms, it just so happens you are not a musician so have little use for Myspace, however if say Depeche Mode were coming over and you didn't know anyone who liked them but wanted to meet up with like minded fans and go to the concert with them, myspaqce would be the vehicle to achieve that

Coming from Mr Facebook himself!

Problem with Facebook, is seeing so many horrible faces.

what can I say, I know a lot of good looking girls

Dan link said:
however if say Depeche Mode were coming over and you didn't know anyone who liked them but wanted to meet up with like minded fans and go to the concert with them, myspaqce would be the vehicle to achieve that

I'd just join the Facebook group - probably via the event function.

Besides Depeche Mode are buckleys of touring this cultural desert.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6