Fake Crowds on TV

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
CHANNEL Nine has revealed a bold plan to repackage its Monday night programming with live AFL matches complete with virtual crowds.

Nine's executive director Jeff Browne said Monday night football was likely to underpin its push for a slice of the next AFL broadcast rights deal from 2012, but he regarded it as primarily a television game in which he would compensate for half-full stadiums with virtual crowds.

For example, if Etihad Stadium had a crowd of less than 20,000, thousands of spectators could be inserted into empty seats using digital technology.

''I think Monday night is the new franchise for the AFL, and we want it,'' Browne told The Age. ''It's a traditional timeslot in sports all around the world.

''Obviously, being a Monday night, you'd attract less people to the match. But there are some great technological innovations we can put around it to make it a fantastic game for television, and we'd show it live.

''People are being diabolically conservative about this. The fact is people are home on Monday nights and they are out on Friday nights.''

Seven, which televised the Monday night round-seven St Kilda-Carlton match, was moderately satisfied with the ratings but indicated the timeslot would not be a part of its plans. The AFL also remains lukewarm, concerned at fixture problems in spreading each round over four days.

The AFL, which hopes to sell its next five-year broadcast package complete with nine weekly home-and-away games for $1 billion, said the virtual audience would solve the TV problem but not the prospect of relatively empty Monday night stadiums.

That's a staggering admission that Monday night affects one's gate.  I wonder how many Monday night games the Drag Queens will host this year? 

Incidentally, does anyone watch football for the crowd shots?  Methinks this is just Channel 9's way of announcing they'll make a play for AFL rights.

God I hope we can lose Monday night football on NRL i absolutely hate it. Sure you watch it if your team is on, but otherwise why bother

I am on the opposite Dan, I like it until our mob in involved which is when I hate it !!

We have only lost 4 this season and 3 of them on Mondays !

I hate MNF with a passion. The odd game a few times a season would be fine but basically another game on Sunday arvo would be much more preferable.

I hate MNF aswell, not only that but ch9 don't take that into consideration and a team who played Monday could possibly have to back up on the friday. MNF sucks.

swoop link said:
I hate MNF aswell, not only that but ch9 don't take that into consideration and a team who played Monday could possibly have to back up on the friday.
  No they don't.  They have to be allocated a game after the Friday. 

Matabele link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=183458.msg264739#msg264739 date=1275296758]
I hate MNF aswell, not only that but ch9 don't take that into consideration and a team who played Monday could possibly have to back up on the friday.
  No they don't.  They have to be allocated a game after the Friday. 
[/quote]

Didn't know that, but most teams backing up struggle.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4