Fans call for the NRL to keep games at suburban grounds

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
August 30, 2013 The NRL fan survey is complete and the results are in. See who you voted as the five most entertaining backs in the game.
THE fans have spoken - they want rugby league at suburban grounds.

Respondents in a Daily Telegraph online poll voted overwhelmingly to continue playing at Sydney’s historic yet archaic suburban grounds.

In fact, 82.7 per cent answered no to the question of whether Sydney clubs should abandon suburban grounds for the city’s major stadiums.

NRL FAN SURVEY RESULTS

There is no doubt ANZ Stadium and Allianz Stadium are wonderful rugby league stadiums - but fans still want to take their kids to quaint grounds where they grew up watching footy.

One fan, Al Astley, of Forestville, is often seen with wife Penny at Brookvale Oval.

‘’Suburban grounds are the heart and soul of rugby league,’’ Astley said.

‘’Every rugby league fan grew up at a suburban ground.

‘’Clubs would lose their identity if they were to move permanently to the larger stadiums for every match.

’I know each kid on the northern beaches has spent time at Brookvale Oval. It is part of the area’s DNA.

‘’I love the way the kids are still allowed to run onto field after fulltime. It would be a travesty if future generations couldn’t do that or go to a ground like Brookie.

‘’I am sure local fans feel the same when going to Shark Park, Leichhardt Oval, Centrebet Stadium, Campbelltown, Kogarah and Wollongong.’’

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/fans-call-for-the-nrl-to-keep-games-at-suburban-grounds/story-fndv31ch-1226707710081

swoop said:
Dean Ritchie
’I know each kid on the northern beaches has spent time at Brookvale Oval. It is part of the area’s DNA.

‘’I love the way the kids are still allowed to run onto field after fulltime. It would be a travesty if future generations couldn’t do that or go to a ground like Brookie.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/fans-call-for-the-nrl-to-keep-games-at-suburban-grounds/story-fndv31ch-1226707710081

I'm one of those statistics from many years ago. If kids have personal experiences like that in the early years it can make a connection that has a lasting effect.
My link to Manly goes back to the day I ran onto Brookie oval, post match, aged 7.
I seriously hope the Nrl listens to the fans and continues with suburban grounds as this type of experience connects families to the game and allows them to feel part it.

Agreed. Amongst my favourite childhood memories are my Dad taking my brother & I to Brookie... My 7 yr old daughter will only go to watch the footy when it's at Brookie :)

Look at the English Premier League, a whole heap of the grounds are basically Suburban Grounds that back on to houses. Look at Anfield, 40,000+ and its basically surrounded by houses.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7