Fast asleep or wide awoke

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
gambling is legal. let's put the onus on the personal responsibility. sick of this woke nanny state we live in.
So off topic but on the above point of taking responsibility for ones actions.

Did you see over in America that Glee Actress that drowned last year while boating with her 4yo son on a lake? Today an agreement for compensation was reached between the 4yo son and the waterways dept after the 4yo sued for wrongful death of his mother.
Makes me sick that the family of the kid can sue on his behalf for an accident that was ruled an accidental death by the corner. The lady went out on her ski boat and drowned by her own hands and its the lake owners that get sued. Go figure.

Just once I would love see a person who blithely throws about epithets such as woke or nanny state bother to explain what they mean. If anyone actually wants to, rather than sidetrack footy discussions
maybe this can be the place.

GIF by Originals

gambling is legal. let's put the onus on the personal responsibility. sick of this woke nanny state we live in.

You can not watch sport without gambling ads.

Cambo not sure if you have any kids but watching with my son is a battle as the marketing makes it seem so cool etc - they are impressionable kids who can not watch a game without being told to gamble responsibly.

I am not saying ban gambling but how is the advertising of gambling and the detrimental effect on society different from when smoking was banned from advertising (understanding the health impact of smoking is easier to quantify than gambling)

I have kids too.
They watch the same ads.

For my boys, they’ve asked what it’s all about, they don’t seem too fazed.

Smoking harms everyone. Gambling doesn’t. Probably a bad comparison.

As an example, why not ban all fast food advertising as fast foods can make you obese and cause type 2 diabetes amongst a whole host of other health related issues?

Gambling’s a part of society. It doesn’t harm everyone. In fact, done the right way, it’s a fantastic past time for most.

It’s our jobs as parents to give our children the tools to enable them to navigate where gambling fits into their lives, no different than fast food in my opinion.
Must admit, they make it really tempting to have a punt, they have deals like, if your horse runs 2nd or third you get up to $50 as a bonus bet, if your 3rd multi pick bombs out you get a bonus bet, if your team leads at half time, we pay you out as a winner, even if your team losses etc etc. The more Gambling companies that come into the market the better the deal for the punter.

I have kids too.
They watch the same ads.

As an example, why not ban all fast food advertising as fast foods can make you obese and cause type 2 diabetes amongst a whole host of other health related issues?

Gambling’s a part of society. It doesn’t harm everyone. In fact, done the right way, it’s a fantastic past time for most.

It’s our jobs as parents to give our children the tools to enable them to navigate where gambling fits into their lives, no different than fast food in my opinion.

Like I said it is not a direct correlation however there is no doubt that gambling is pretty toxic.

Take this report which showed

Some not so fun facts

Estimates suggest that Australians lost approximately $25 billion on legal forms of gambling in 2018–19, representing the largest per capita losses in the world (Letts 2018; QGSO 2021).

The social costs of gambling – including adverse financial impacts, emotional and psychological costs, relationship and family impacts, and productivity loss and work impacts – have been estimated at around $7 billion in Victoria alone (Browne et al. 2017). Gambling-related harms affect not only the people directly involved, but also their families, peers and the wider community (Goodwin et al. 2017).

Estimates suggest that around 35% of Australian adults aged 18 and over (or 6.5 million people) spent money in a ‘typical month’ (defined as ‘regular gambling’) on 1 or more gambling activities in 2018, a drop from 39% (6.8 million people) in 2015 (Figure 1).

And so on - it is a massive problem

As for fast food I agree on that as well

I have kids too.
They watch the same ads.

Batty you sound like a good parent. But not all kids follow their parents teachings and some innocent people get hurt.

A school mate of mine started gambling small on the horses…. It got to the stage where he lost his home …. And his wife and children. He had a lovely family, lived in a nice suburb in Sydney and it is all gone! Not only is he financially ruined but he is emotionally ruined. Last I heard his wife and children were living out of a caravan. Sometimes others are effected by our poor choices and actions.

We sometimes need rules to protect us against ourself.

We are a betting nation. Lotto, Powerball, KENO, horses, sport Nothing going to change that.
When I arrived in Australia as a 15 year old, my impression of the bloke's back then was they would bet on anything. When I worked as a builders labourer the brickies would put a slice of devon on the ground and bet on the flies that landed on it. I have never been a gambler, and back in my twenties my boss took me to a country trots meeting, introduced me to an old, old bloke called "Charlie, just Charlie". After chatting for five minutes, he took the programme from my boss, marked one number in each race, and handed it back. Every one a winner. Experience, great judge of horse flesh, or as my boss said " its just bent mate".

I think there lies a vast difference between the notions of banning/restricting the plague of betting advertising .... and the actual banning of betting.

From my limited understanding it is the former that is proposed .. not the latter.

I think there lies a vast difference between the notions of banning/restricting the plague of betting advertising .... and the actual banning of betting.

From my limited understanding it is the former that is proposed .. not the latter.
I'm good with both Woodsie

Professional Sports really needs to ban all advertising that relates to gambling, fast food, and alcohol, because people are MORANS who are entirely incapable of making their own choices. I know a kid who has taken to gambling sugar free, carob chocolate and soy milk drinks at school.

There should be more focus by the NRL on social issues. Such as forcing players to run out onto a field in rainbow socks, unless of course the player happens to be a Muslim female in the AFLW. Then it's okay to be non compliant on the grounds that it goes against her religious beliefs.

Wide awoke indeed.

Last edited:
Will agree to disagree - for me there is more than enough research that shows that the personal experiences on here are not indicative of all experiences.

For me the saturation of gambling across all media channels shows how much money these companies make...and the only way they make money is when punters do not.

Sorry to hear about your school mate. That sounds horrible.

In relation to this discussion though, do you know anyone that gambles and enjoys it and doesn’t have such a horrific story to tell? I know plenty.
I also have a mates father who tragically lost the family home through gambling.
But the overwhelming majority of people I know don’t have issues with gambling to the point it affects their personal lives.

My point is there will always be extremes, however if the vast majority can enjoy things like gambling without it affecting their lives, do you punish the masses because a minority have an issue?
I don’t have the answers, just posing the question.

My example with food for instance, do you ban all fast food because a lot of the population are overweight and can’t control it? Or is the onus on the individual to manage food themselves?

I understand rules to protect ourselves… but surely it’s a numbers game. If the majority can gamble responsibly - should they be punished for those that can’t?

Once again, sorry to hear about your mate.
I agree with your comments but the rules are to protect the minority.
A lot of people cannot use their common sense, they spoil it for everyone. That’s why we have school 40 zones, speed limits on highways and motorways, gun laws, drink driving limits, compulsory seat belts….etc. if more people used their common sense we would require so many policed restrictions.

I think you’ve proven my point for me.

Those laws you mention above can be broken over and over and over again…in the same way a gambler can choose to gamble and gamble and gamble. No amount of restrictions will ever stop someone who chooses to do something.

If I get a speeding fine, I’ll probably slow down for the next few months cause I’ve learnt my temporary lesson.

Alternatively, if I choose not to wear a seatbelt and have an accident - that’s on me.

If I choose to drink and drive and have an accident and go to jail, that’s on me.

It’s my choice to make those mistakes again… my choice.

If I have a problem with gambling (which affects my personal life/income - like a speeding fine etc), I should probably stop or slow down or learn my lesson or seek help or self exclude etc etc. So many different options out there.

There has to be accountability on the individual.

Anyway, good chat.
The police fines do work … maybe not on you… but I cannot afford to get a speeding fine they are ridiculously large, I cannot afford demerit points as I need my license for work … it has been proven that there are less road deaths since the introduction of mandatory seat belts….and our gun restrictions are certainly better than the US gun laws or lack thereof.

Anyway I agree over policing can be a problem but likewise so can under regulating

Just once I would love see a person who blithely throws about epithets such as woke or nanny state bother to explain what they mean. If anyone actually wants to, rather than sidetrack footy discussions
maybe this can be the place.

GIF by Originals
This is a strange request SER8 because many of your previous posts read like pages extracted from the woke daily telegraph. In fact, I think your level of "wokeness" is off the Richter Scale. You seem like a relatively intelligent person - surely you're aware of the wide awoke flavour that seasons your opinions.

Last edited:
You seem like a relatively intelligent person
By the way, flattery won't get you far. Like almost everyone else, I am of average intelligence. I find that is all that is needed to understand most stuff (and to see through most BS)!

Tony Abbott was complaining about the “wokes” the other day. He said that The Life of Brian wouldn’t be allowed to be made today because of the “wokes”. The funny thing is, that church he holds so dear wanted it cancelled at the time. I guess the Catholic Church were part of the “wokes” of the 70’s. Woke Tony.

In summary, the people who use “woke” don’t know what it means.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7