Fat Old and Tired

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Just read the following dribble By rebecca Wilson

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/fat-old-and-tired/story-e6frexnr-1226249803396

NINE network boss Jeff Browne, who works directly underneath head honcho David Gyngell, is a lawyer from Melbourne.

He is the bloke who has been placed in charge of the revamp of the network's The Footy Show, the alleged jewel in the crown of the station's rugby league coverage.

It is a show which has been pummelled in the ratings in recent years, running against the overall trend of soaring ratings for the game across the nation.

Browne worked closely alongside Eddie McGuire at Collingwood before being handed the job of managing Nine's Melbourne operation.

He moved to Nine's Sydney bunker less than two years ago but he gave every impression this week that he knows how to make the truly terrible The Footy Show sing again.

Browne has stood by host Paul Vautin this week (who also happens to be a good mate of Gyngell).

Vautin, who advertising guru and rugby league junkie John Singleton described this week as an average footy player and an average host, is one of television's astonishing survivors.

In the face of poor ratings and a growing younger audience that has turned off in droves, Nine has held out for Vautin. Ignoring the fact that the show has gone from being compulsory viewing to unwatchable in recent years, Browne and Gyngell are holding firm with a host who has become irrelevant and very unfunny.

I will add a rider here that the former Queensland Origin player is no friend of mine, having humiliated me on a single The Footy Show appearance many moons ago. Then again, I am no real mate of Matthew Johns either, who was embroiled in a sex scandal several years ago.

Matty Johns has served his time in the wilderness and come back as a better man in his current role as a breakfast radio host.

He remains very smart and often very, very funny. Singleton manages him and this week claimed Johns had refused a role at The Footy Show because Nine would not budge on Fatty's hosting status and told Johns he could not exert any creative control over the program.

Each year since 2008, Nine has trumpeted that it was revamping The Footy Show. Gyngell claimed last year that the program had lost its way and was going to be transformed. It would once again reclaim its place as the go-to show for anyone who loved league and a laugh on a Thursday night.

Instead, Nine bosses have stuck rigidly to a format that is tired and often cringeworthy. There is no sign of improvement. It remains one of the most avoidable programs on any Thursday night in winter.

Browne said this week that Fatty was still "the man", even though it is doubtful Browne has ever watched a show from start to finish given he is not a league fan.

He would not know that Vautin has not changed his act for nearly two decades.

He is still a smart arse who purports to have been a rugby league demigod during his time playing for Queensland.

As my memory serves me, he was very much a bridesmaid in those great Queensland sides, playing fifth fiddle to the likes of Wally Lewis, Allan Langer, Gene Miles and Mal Meninga.

During Vautin's early days as host, he was a funny guy, always quick with the one-liners and a real find as a television talent. He kept the show moving along at a good pace and, together with Peter Sterling, created real talking points for the league world each week.

In recent years, however, he and the rest of the panel have looked like they would rather be home in bed than churning out the same old tired routine. The show is so unfunny I often find myself wishing I lived in Melbourne so I could watch the AFL version of the program. (Well, not really, but you know what I mean.) Matty Johns has every right to believe he could have played a part in revitalising it. He is at least a familiar face to league fans under 30.

Browne has hired former The Footy Show producer Glenn Pallister to come back for another crack at it. Pallister is talented enough but he has worked with Vautin and the rest before.

Fatty did not take much notice of him back then so he is hardly going to start listening now.

The Footy Show needs to become an information-based show with funny bits. That's how it became successful in the first place. We had our hit of news, but we had a laugh as well. Browne, Gyngell and Pallister will never fix it if they keep this lot on fat contracts in return for very little effort.

Singo is right about all of it but I reckon Matty Johns will be better off without it, just like the rest of us.

comment I posted on the DT site (which I dont think will get a look in)
I thought the Title heading was about You Rebecca
Fat Old and Tired
can you take your agenda's over to AFL or Union and leave the NRL stories for real reporters
John

I didn't read it I refuse to read the rubbish that home wrecker attempts to write. But I saw the head line and thought it was an auto biographical article :)

"I will add a rider here that the former Queensland Origin player is no friend of mine, having humiliated me on a single The Footy Show appearance many moons ago.".....so the bitch has been waiting all this time to get even. I'm no fan of the Footy Show but like this vitriol even less.

Rebecca must think that Matty Johns getting guffaws by pretending to be gay and simulating anal sex is what TV audiences want. Maybe some do but it does nothing for me. Matty hasn't been captain of a Premiership side, Fatty has 35 rep games to his 13 plus is a winning SOO coach, and Matty has a fine tv track record with a trashcanned tv show that lasted one season. Really couldn't care less about any of them but in racing parlance Rebecca's horse is going up and down on the one spot 300 mts from the winning post.

Funny thing is word on the street is ms Wilson has a henkering for slightly rotund footballers.

I'd name names but I wouldn't want to get Dan in trouble or be the Piggy in the middle of any lawsuits.

Cambo said:
Funny thing is word on the street is ms Wilson has a henkering for slightly rotund footballers.

I'd name names but I wouldn't want to get Dan in trouble or be the Piggy in the middle of any lawsuits.

I think Wolfman is readymade for a media gig. Footy Show? Worth a try..maybe, when he retires, of course, but with questions about future fitness given his injury plagued rugby league career, a media career may not be that far away....

Cambo said:

That's quite a Riddle you've got there Cam. Can you elaborate any further?

The Footy Show does need to be reinvented with more football-based material, but for John Singleton and Matthew Johns to be so rude is the pot calling the kettle black. Firstly, Fatty was anything but an 'ordinary' footballer. He was a fantastic player. Secondly, if Fatty is an 'ordinary' host then Singleton's hosting skills wouldn't rise above 'pathetic'. Anyone old enough will remember his bumbling efforts to host a talk program on TV, which got cut mercifully short.
Then we have Johns who is talented in short doses but his own program was crap. He can't carry a program, and his humour is 'schoolboy' to say the least.
Singleton and Johns should apologise to Fatty, and pull their heads in. They think they are far more talented than they are!

willstyles said:
Cambo said:

That's quite a Riddle you've got there Cam. Can you elaborate any further?
I could but I don't want the lawyers to come after Dan or myself. Mark that one up to me finally showing some decorum on here.

I do TW, especially a very embarrassing interview with American actress Valerie Perrine.

Phantar said:
I do TW, especially a very embarrassing interview with American actress Valerie Perrine.

Further to my my last, I'm sure that Ms Wilson's dislike of Fatty, is also in part because of his stance during the Superleague war.

ManlyBacker said:
Rebecca must think that Matty Johns getting guffaws by pretending to be gay and simulating anal sex is what TV audiences want. Maybe some do but it does nothing for me. Matty hasn't been captain of a Premiership side, Fatty has 35 rep games to his 13 plus is a winning SOO coach, and Matty has a fine tv track record with a trashcanned tv show that lasted one season. Really couldn't care less about any of them but in racing parlance Rebecca's horse is going up and down on the one spot 300 mts from the winning post.

Love your work MB

Like many on here wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire. But in some ways Fatty, Big Marn have to be moved on I'll give an example last year when they had DCE and Foz on Fatty mentioned that DCE played like Johnny Gibbs, DCE had NFI who that was

eagles2win said:
Like many on here wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire. But in some ways Fatty, Big Marn have to be moved on I'll give an example last year when they had DCE and Foz on Fatty mentioned that DCE played like Johnny Gibbs, DCE had NFI who that was

to be fair playing as a half back for Manly you should know who J Gibbs is. Bit disapointing if he didnt. It would be like Fulton rocking up to traning and the boys saying who is this old geaser. Are they given a run down on club history?

I don't think players are that interested in club history these days. They don't play their junior football trying to imitate the greats of yesteryear. I don't think they want to play for any particular club (because Dad or Uncle did) anymore. They're happy to get a start with any club and start earning the big bucks. That's where clubs need to try and get them interested in the history and true meaning of playing for your club. Most young blokes couldn't care less about club rivalries and long time hatred between clubs and fans. That's why loyalty and contracts mean ****all these days.

mozgrame said:
I don't think players are that interested in club history these days. They don't play their junior football trying to imitate the greats of yesteryear. I don't think they want to play for any particular club (because Dad or Uncle did) anymore. They're happy to get a start with any club and start earning the big bucks. That's where clubs need to try and get them interested in the history and true meaning of playing for your club. Most young blokes couldn't care less about club rivalries and long time hatred between clubs and fans. That's why loyalty and contracts mean ****all these days.

There would be exceptions for this though Choc and Kingy are Manly through and through, one of my uncles works with Choc's mum and has asked would he play for another NRL club she replied no effing way.

I think players that do eventually come here form a stronger bond then at most clubs due to the harassment from other supporters ie do you honestly think that killa would go to another club after the parra thing?

I have heard that at Catalan all players have to speak French on the field to embrace the French culture could explain why they have gone better

I will add a rider here that the former Queensland Origin player is no friend of mine, having humiliated me on a single The Footy Show appearance many moons ago

She doesnt need Fatty to humiliate her, she does a pretty good job of that herself.

the mauler said:
I will add a rider here that the former Queensland Origin player is no friend of mine, having humiliated me on a single The Footy Show appearance many moons ago

She doesnt need Fatty to humiliate her, she does a pretty good job of that herself.

Yes Mauler it must be very humiliating with a head like that

The player from our squad that will probably get a gig down the track is probably Georgie.

Can be funny, serious and articulate

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4