Feeding Trolls and how best to progress the forum from discussion you don't want

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
I made the below post in another thread, but thought it worth re-posting in it's own thread for all to read and consider.
There has been a lot of griping about trolls and the continuous speculation on player movements. So there are some simple ways to fix this and stop it from happening, or at least lessening it's impact on the site, and thus you.

------------------------

The easy way to combat the posts about player movements and the crap we don't need to read or talk about over and over again is quite simple. Not to mention the trolls that come in and start posts to get a reaction.

It requires people to post more threads about things other than player movements and to simply ignore the trolls, it's not worth replying to them or trying to argue with them, this is what they want, and they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

So quite simply, if you want to discuss football more, the easiest way is for you to start new threads discussing football, talk about the team lineup, changes you would make, your perspective on the modern game, the ruck, the size of forward packs, the merit of a lighter team vs a heavier one, the importance of defense over attack and so on and so on.

The more detailed and reaction or discussion inciting posts, the better the content and greater discussion becomes, the less likely it will therefore be for you to notice the other crap you do not wish to read, and the more likely you will enjoy your time here.

The great thing about forums is that the process and ability to change is in the hands of the members.

Drown out the posts and information that you don't want to read with posts that make sense and that you do want to read. No need for abuse or other crap, just out post them with actual footy discussion

Remember a community is a sum of it's parts, and therefore the more the people of the community work together to drive change that they want, the better the community becomes.
Silvertails is a community and one based on our love for not only the Sea Eagles, but our love for the great game of Rugby League.

There are so many topics to discuss regarding football and so many things that we could write about, sheesh I could even read a YART every week.

So let's get to it, and lets start talking footy, forget about the trolls and forget about the continuous speculation. Our team has been suffering, there are enough of us that fancy ourselves armchair experts, myself included, that could surely tell us all how the team would perform better, and the merits of their team selection and coaching style.

Anyway mull it over at least :)

If I might also add to Dans post.

If the site experiences periodic invasions (for want of a better description) from other team supporters it is up to you to refrain from responding adversely and then calling for bannings.

If someone/anyone wants to arrive here and inflame posters or bait them, the moderators have common sense judgement & the site terms & conditions to guide us. It would assist greatly if its left to those responsible to deal with them and not have to deal with a raft of posters calling for bannings.

Just use Dans advice and move on is the best thing for all.

One question.

Is Dan a troll. Not using the above username but some other alias. And if he is what do we do about it.

Can he be barred?

Food for thought

I disagree. When trolls appear the best strategy is to point out what we don't agree with, and explain why. Again and again. As many times as it takes. Even ad nauseum. When they see the error of their ways, and realise that Manly is the only legitimate team worth following, they will usually come round to our point of view. Sometimes. Maybe.
(Otherwise, Dan's strategy may be a valid fall-back position.)
:D

bob dylan said:
One question.

Is Dan a troll. Not using the above username but some other alias. And if he is what do we do about it.

Can he be barred?

Food for thought
If I were yes that username could be banned however I am not and don't have the time anyway

RE: Feeding Trolls and how best to progress the forum from discussion you don't want

It's a good idea. I for one have been a little critical of the trolls even being allowed to be on here, but as Dan has explained in great detail it's bloody hard to get rid of them SO I agree don't feed them and they will probably go away.

get-attachment.jpg

If you consider them to be a troll then don't give them the satisfaction of a reply. To further ignore them, click on their username and add them to your "IGNORE" list.

RE: Feeding Trolls and how best to progress the forum from discussion you don't want

Thanks Jethro I haven't seen. Rudi post for a week so all good (mind you he may not have posted for a week either) but he's gone as far as I am concerned.

I found a couple more Trolls: BEWARE!

[attachment=262]

[attachment=263]

Rambofan said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
Notice how none of them have posted in here

What is a troll.Where do I get one.How will I know one If I see one?

The following information should just about cover your questions:

troll
noun

(in Scandinavian folklore) any of a race of supernatural beings, sometimes conceived as giants and sometimes as dwarfs, inhabiting caves or subterranean dwellings.
Slang . a person who lives or sleeps in a park or under a viaduct or bridge, as a bag lady or derelict.
Origin:
1610–20; < Old Norse troll demon

Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2012.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

World English Dictionary
troll 1

— vb
1. angling
a. to draw (a baited line, etc) through the water, often from a boat
b. to fish (a stretch of water) by trolling
c. to fish (for) by trolling
2. to roll or cause to roll
3. archaic to sing (a refrain, chorus, etc) or (of a refrain, etc) to be sung in a loud hearty voice
4. informal ( Brit ) ( intr ) to walk or stroll
5. homosexual slang ( intr ) to stroll around looking for sexual partners; cruise
6. slang ( intr ) computing to post deliberately inflammatory articles on an internet discussion board

— n
7. the act or an instance of trolling
8. angling a bait or lure used in trolling, such as a spinner
9. slang computing a person who submits deliberately inflammatory articles to an internet discussion

troll 2

— n
(in Scandinavian folklore) one of a class of supernatural creatures that dwell in caves or mountains and are depicted either as dwarfs or as giants

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009

Slang Dictionary

troll definition

n.
an ugly person; a grouchy person. : Gee, that dame is a real troll. What's her problem?
n.
an internet user who sends inflammatory or provocative messages designed to elicit negative responses or start a flame-war. (As a fisherman trolls for an unsuspecting fish.) : Don't answer those silly messages. Some troll is just looking for an argument.
n.
a message sent by a troll (sense 2). : Every time I get a troll, I just delete it.

Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.
Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw Hill.

Computing Dictionary

troll definition

An electronic mail message, Usenet posting or other (electronic) communication which is intentionally incorrect, but not overtly controversial (compare flame bait), or the act of sending such a message. Trolling aims to elicit an emotional reaction from those with a hair-trigger on the reply key. A really subtle troll makes some people lose their minds.
(1994-10-17)

The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © Denis Howe 2010 http://foldoc.org

Encyclopedia Definition

troll

in early Scandinavian folklore, giant, monstrous being, sometimes possessing magic powers. Hostile to men, trolls lived in castles and haunted the surrounding districts after dark. If exposed to sunlight they burst or turned to stone. In later tales trolls often are man-sized or smaller beings similar to dwarfs and elves. They live in mountains, sometimes steal human maidens, and can transform themselves and prophesy. In the Shetland and Orkney islands, Celtic areas once settled by Scandinavians, trolls are called trows and appear as small malign creatures who dwell in mounds or near the sea. In the plays of the Norwegian dramatist Henrik Ibsen, especially Peer Gynt (1867) and The Master Builder (1892), trolls are used as symbols of destructive instincts. Trolls in modern tales for children often live under bridges, menacing travelers and exacting tasks or tolls.

Encyclopedia Britannica, 2008. Encyclopedia Britannica Online.

Sounds like you've been 'In the Hall of (Jason) the Mountain King' recently Jethro. With apologies to Edvard Grieg.

Or am I being too esoteric in my trolling?

Phantar said:
Sounds like you've been 'In the Hall of (Jason) the Mountain King' recently Jethro. With apologies to Edvard Grieg.

Or am I being too esoteric in my trolling?

I had no idea what you were on about Phantar regarding 'In the Hall of (Jason) the Mountain King'. I had to use Google to find out.

For any who are interested (if not then don't bother reading any further):

Wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Hall_of_the_Mountain_King )

In the Hall of the Mountain King (Norwegian: I Dovregubbens hall) is a piece of orchestral music, Opus 23, composed by Edvard Grieg for Henrik Ibsen’s play Peer Gynt, which premiered in Oslo on February 24, 1876. (It was later extracted as the final piece of Peer Gynt, Suite No. 1, Op. 46.) Although a performance of the full piece runs to only two and a half minutes, it has attained iconic status in popular culture and is easily recognized, though not, perhaps, by name.

A fantasy story written in verse, Peer Gynt tells of the adventures of the eponymous Peer. The sequence illustrated by the music of In the Hall of the Mountain King is when Peer sneaks into the Mountain King’s castle. The piece then describes Peer’s attempts to escape from the King and his trolls after having insulted his daughter.

“(The troll-courtiers): Slagt ham! Kristenmands søn har dåret.
Dovregubbens veneste mø!
Slagt ham!
Slagt ham!
(a troll-imp): Må jeg skjære ham i fingeren?
(another troll-imp): Må jeg rive ham i håret?
(a troll-maiden): Hu, hej, lad mig bide ham i låret!
(a troll-witch with a ladle): Skal han lages til sod og sø?
(another troll-witch, with a chopper): Skal han steges på spid eller brunes i gryde?
(the Old Man of the Dovre): Isvand i blodet!”

“Slay him! The Christian’s son has bewitched
The Dovre King’s fairest daughter!
Slay him!
Slay him!

May I hack him on the fingers?
May I tug him by the hair?
Hu, hei, let me bite him in the haunches!
Shall he be boiled into broth and bree?
Shall he roast on a spit or be browned in a stewpan?

Ice to your blood, friends! “

I do recognise the music though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpzxKsSEZg

As for your "am I being too esoteric in my trolling" question: possibly.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6