Film: Manly v Wests @ Pratten Park early 1970s

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Haven't watched the whole thing yet and the quality is tough on my eyesight, but my guess is 1972 or '73 because No 2 looks like Ken Irvine. Fulton is there as 4 and Mal Reilly 8, I'll have a better look later when I've got time.

It looks like Mal Reilly who is carting that dog off the field by its neck. May be a young Eadie in #14. But all long before my time.

Great stuff. Was that Tooves' old man in No 5 ?:D
You just don't get half-time entertainment like that anymore (except at Panthers). The arm -wrestling at the end was gold!:p
My fav has to be @ 8.38 ...does it get anymore Australian than that!:)
..only one complaint...who the hell sticks Whitney Houston on as background music to this!:s...(that's up there with my father-in-law who sticks Kenny G on every goddam family video he makes...he makes a lot!...[end rant]. :blush:

Was No.5 Max Brown maybe? I think I saw Bill Hamilton, Fred Jones, Terry Randall and Ian Martin.

The Wests jerseys are like cartoon super hero characters. The size of the white V is enormous. So are the numbers on the back.

The scary thing is, even though I wasn't at this game because it was at Pratten Park, I always used to go to the match of the day whenever Manly was playing, either at the SCG, or Sportsground, seems like three lifetimes ago.

None of the fans seemed to have team colour supporter gear. Was no one making and selling it back then?

Good to see Manly had cheerleaders though. At an away game too.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Haven't watched the whole thing yet and the quality is tough on my eyesight, but my guess is 1972 or '73 because No 2 looks like Ken Irvine. Fulton is there as 4 and Mal Reilly 8, I'll have a better look later when I've got time.
If you have a good look you will find Zorba in there as well :D

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Good old Derek Moritz !
He was a pretty good player, for a couple of years just below rep standard at fullback or wing.
Quick quiz. How many NRL stars have carried the name Derek?

Brissie Kid said:
It looks like Mal Reilly who is carting that dog off the field by its neck. May be a young Eadie in #14. But all long before my time.
Classic footage. Couple of things we don't see nowadays, one of the game's greats carrying a dog (!) and a Manly player helping to carry an injured Wests player off the field.

Almost certainly it was Round 10, 30th May, 1971.
Manly 34, Wests 9. Crowd 6,903. Referee: Laurie Bruyeres (who wasnt bad).
Manly Tries: Ian Martin X 2, Eddie Whiley, Irvine, Eadie, Randall and Zorba.

I definitely was not there that day. :) And likely it was not on the radio. Almost certain the match of the day would have been Canterbury v Balmain. 2SM, Frank Hyde, etc.

EagleFromMay1967 said:

I definitely was not there that day. :) And likely it was not on the radio. Almost certain the match of the day would have been Canterbury v Balmain. 2SM, Frank Hyde, etc.

Records show that you are correct.
It was probably the last year they played at Pratten park as well.

Quite interesting. The League wanting to promote Sunday footy, could not get access to the ground as on Sundays, the Church Soccer association had the rights to the ground.

Peter C said:
EagleFromMay1967 said:

Records show that you are correct.
It was probably the last year they played at Pratten park as well.

No Pratten being used until '73 on an occasional basis.
I work quite near there these days, i could easily go for a stroll over there at lunchtime, and go for a run around it, pretend i'm Irvine :), and its 1971.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6