Finally, I can post about the mighty sea eagles without having to pay $48!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

weev

Bencher
Last year was a big fan of the official site and loved the forum.

However, its gone downhill. I don't know any forum on the web that has charged for posting. 

Cheers to the admins/developers for making this site free. Took me a while to find it!

I have stopped going to MSE. Virtually everything there is posted here except the members newsletters etc that I don't get and don't really miss.

Gday Weev. Its customary to shout everyone a beer and to name your first born after someone here.

Jatz has such a confident & dashing ring to it doesnt it.

Jatz Crackers link said:
Gday Weev. Its customary to shout everyone a beer and to name your first born after someone here.

so you've named yours Mata  :D

weev link said:
Last year was a big fan of the official site and loved the forum.

However, its gone downhill. I don't know any forum on the web that has charged for posting. 

Agree!
That's mainly why I am here (& other forums too) instead of there any more.

Ridiculous to charge for an online community discussion forum!

ABSOLUTELY!!

A club charging for membership is just so greedy!

And who cares if the club needs to pay for someone to run their members forum - it's just another way for them to make money when we all know they are loaded.

Max Delmege is obviously minted so should just keep giving the club more money and not be so tight fisted (Scott Penn also needs to get his hands out of his pocket again)

They even make us pay to go in to the ground when you can watch it for free on the telly.

And those players – how come they get paid when the boys at local oval do it for nothing!

Whilst we are on about it, why do we have to pay for merchandise - shouldn't we get those shirts for free from the NRL or the sponsors as we are walking around advertising their clubs and businesses?

Can’t wait until the club goes broke again like it nearly did a few years ago and then there will be no need for anyone to pay anything and we won’t have to worry about forums (paid or un-paid)……

Hey Pontian - More money in my pocket as I didn't have to be in Moscow this morning (I'm a glass half full sort of person...)
Re the above post - tongue very firmly in cheek.......
Cheers
Vid

Actually I agree with Vidmar on this.  You are not paying $40 to post on the MSE forum.  You are paying to become a member of your football team and thereby contributing to its success.  Being able to post on the MSE forum is just one of the many beneifts of becoming a member.

Berkeley_Eagle link said:
[quote author=Jatz Crackers link=topic=177527.msg184954#msg184954 date=1211374880]

so you've named yours Mata  :D
[/quote]

Of course not. I named mine Gong  ;)

vidmar link said:
ABSOLUTELY!!

A club charging for membership is just so greedy!

And who cares if the club needs to pay for someone to run their members forum - it's just another way for them to make money when we all know they are loaded.

etc etc

Charging for membership is not greedy. Charging for posting on a community forum is.

Lets look at it another way. You post for free, become supportive of the club and then join/buy merchandise/go to matches.

You give something and then seek to convert across to paying customers. They did this but now they exclude new entry.

The result: the forum will shrink, the site will shrink and then they won't be able to staff it of develop it.

I would suggest having standard and premium members. The premium members get more forum functionality plus the extras (tickets, caps, etc).  While standard members get free with limited functionality.

Converting standard members to premium is a better web business model than just locking everyone out. How would that model grow?

I don't have a problem with how they have done it tbh. Less than $1 a week to be a member of the club

Your example lacks 1 aspect weev, if you are going to be on the forum you are already supportive of the club

I can see what weevs is saying. Sometimes you hang around for a while and then get involved. However you can still read posts and it is only when you want to post yourself that you have to put your money up. Fair enough.

Paying to me is to support the club rather than to post on a forum. I would rather post here anyway!!!

Quote: Charging for membership is not greedy. Charging for posting on a community forum is.

Reply: This is a community forum and free of charge as are a number of others for supporters of the club and the code in general.

The member’s forum isn’t – It’s for members.

No-one is disadvantaged if they want to swap chat with like minded fans as they can go to the “free to air” forums?

Quote: “Lets look at it another way. You post for free, become supportive of the club and then join/buy merchandise/go to matches.”

Reply: Hmmm…..interesting point, but, you don’t have to post to be supportive of the club?
Why join if you can post for free (How many people who posted for free previously have now committed financially to the club by becoming members?)

Equally so I doubt that people won’t buy merchandise if they can’t post (In fact you can buy merchandise from the official site and not be a member?)

Posting is not going to influence what team a person supports or the number of games they go to – I personally know a fair few members (Both screaming Eagles and Football club) who are based in country NSW, QLD and even WA who only get to the odd few games – they are members to support the club financially as they can’t commit to or benefit from supporting the club by buying season tickets.

To re-iterate – the money charged is for membership which ultimately benefits the club (read the latest about the Sydney clubs struggling financially and then argue with me that the club is wrong in trying to boost members and increase cash flow?)

Quote: You give something and then seek to convert across to paying customers. They did this but now they exclude new entry.

Reply: Your argument doesn’t hold water – people had free reign on the site previously – why haven’t they converted to membership?

As someone said previously – less than $2 a round to support the club is affordable to the vast majority

Ask not what your club can do for you – Ask what you can do for your club?

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4