Fired-up Manly coach Geoff Toovey unloads on refs and declares penalties a 'lucky dip'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
A FURIOUS Geoff Toovey has called for the NRL to dump the two-referee system after an extraordinary attack on match officials in the wake of last night's 20-12 loss to Canterbury.

Stopping short of saying incompetent refereeing cost his side the match, a livid Toovey exploded at the post-match media conference with an unprovoked tirade where he questioned several decisions and declared penalties were now "a lucky dip".
Toovey also challenged the NRL to explain why the game's top referees were not in charge of last night's match - and said it was a waste of time seeking a meeting with referees bosses Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper because they can't admit to mistakes.
"I have to query the league and say where is the two best referees in the game for this game tonight - because the blokes in the middle definitely weren't the two best for this job," Toovey fired.

"They had terrible games. Terrible decisions. I can't wait until they try and explain some of them.
"The second try, a metre off-side. Fullback being taken out, they said was a turnover. Shepherd and they get a penalty. The 10 (metres) non-existent.
"The penalties are like a lucky dip, you just don't know what you are going to get.
"Who is answerable for it? Who is going to say, yes, we got it wrong?"
Fed-up with the same frustrations many coaches have been complaining about all year, Toovey stopped short of blaming the poor decisions for his team's defeat.
"I don't want to go that far because you make your own luck and we were a bit off first half - but let's just say it didn't help.
"And as I said, what is the repercussions for it?
"There is none.
"Why didn't we have the two best referees for tonight's game?"
Asked what a coach can do if he is not satisfied, Toovey fired: "Maybe like other coaches in the competition I need to go and have a meeting with them like certain other coaches do."
Asked if those meetings got him anywhere in the past, he answered: "No, it doesn't.
"I had discussions at the beginning of the year and they just say no you are wrong, we're right, that's it.
"That's as far as it goes.
"Let's have one (referee). I have always been about one referee, make one person accountable."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/fired-up-manly-coach-geoff-toovey-unloads-on-refs-and-declares-penalties-a-lucky-dip/story-e6frexnr-1226431310078

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4