First crack at the big time for Shane

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
First crack at the big time for Shane

68f0def76681707d700b9ba148915d07_resized.jpg

11 Feb 09 by Jason Avedissian

RISING young Manly back Shane Neumann is set to be given first crack at Steven Bell’s vacant jumper, with the inexperienced back declaring a summer spent bulking up could help him become an NRL regular.

Neumann is certain to be part of Manly’s 23 to 24-man squad to tour England for the upcoming World Club Challenge clash against Leeds.

The 21-year-old has played just four NRL matches since making a successful debut against the Broncos in May 2007.

But with Bell joining French club Catalans in the summer, Neumann appears certain to be given first crack at the vacancy.

``That (NRL football) would be a goal,’’ the young Queenslander said. ``It would be good to be named (in the touring party) and take the opportunity with both hands.

``If I’m lucky enough to get a go, the pressure would be on to hold the jumper. ``But, there’s a lot of things up in the air and there’s a few players vying for that position, so it’s going to be a good challenge for me.

``It’s going to be hard to crack a grand final-winning team. Whatever comes my way I’ll take.’’

Neumann, contracted to Manly until the end of 2010, said bulking up three kilograms to 98kg in the summer will give him more presence on the park.

``Personally, training is going better this year than previous years,’’ he said. ``I’ve reached a few personal goals, putting on a little bit more weight. The training is helping me (put on weight), and I’m eating more. I haven’t lost any speed, so that’s a bonus.’’

The Brisbane-born Sea Eagle said Bell has parted some of his known defensive secrets to help his cause.

``During training he (Bell) always had little points for me to work on, even in defence, to help me out,’’ Neumann said.

Manly coach Des Hasler will reveal his squad to tour England tomorrow.

I hope he gets a run. Maybe with the depth of squad (in the centres and backrow) and lack of injuries manly might employ a rotation policy.

Yeah it's looking more like Des will give some of the young guys run in the top grade this year.

With players like Shane Neumann & William Hopoate who both have speed. Then there's Tony Williams size and power and Jared Hargreaves is showing good signs i think were in for another great year with the Eagles in 2009.

I'm hoping he will become a "Glenn Stewart" and come out of the woodwork, Shane has been ordinary for past 2 years, he is a smallish centre, not quick and ordinary defence, I know Des rates him so hoping he will have improved, on past form he is no look in for nrl

Darren link said:
I'm hoping he will become a \"Glenn Stewart\" and come out of the woodwork, Shane has been ordinary for past 2 years, he is a smallish centre, not quick and ordinary defence, I know Des rates him so hoping he will have improved, on past form he is no look in for nrl

Darren so you don't think Shane Neumann will make it into the top grade ?

I dont rate him, to me not quick or elusive enough however I hope I am proved wrong

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6