First Test in Murder City

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I doubt it. He was sh*tting bricks out there. He knew he was playing in a Test match.

It was an ugly, very poorly chosen shot, but in fairness to the kid the wicket is doing plenty this morning (will probably get easier throughout the day), he's facing up to the number one quick in the world and he's on debut. Not an easy scenario to be in, and he didn't react well to it.

He would've been better off debuting in Sydney in more comfortable surroundings to ease him into Test cricket, then it would have prepared him better for the hostile surroundings in "Murder City".

Aussies 3/42. Gives you an indication of how difficult the wicket is in the first session....

God, I hope they stop replaying the Hughes dismissal. It gets worse every time I see it. Such a terrible shot... Even under the circumstances I struggle to wonder why he went for it. He must've been even more nervous than he was showing....

You wouldn't see a shot that bad in park cricket. Geez I hope there's more to the hype than what he showed in those 4 balls. Nice catch by Mackenzie though.

What i cannot understand is why he would be facing the first ball. Why not stick him down the other end and at least then he would have had a chance to see the pitch if only a little bit.

Is it just me or is Steyne good against right handers but exeptional against lefties? Or is it just that we have a few lefties in our side? a couple of which have been badly out of form as well.

Has anyone actually seen Hughes bat?

Its the way he bats, get used to seeing that shot, its one of his regulars, as ugly as it is.

And yes Fluff Steyn is something special at the moment.

tbh i dont think the saffies would have win against us without Steyn. Had he been injured instead of clark it would have been a different outcome. The selectors cant be blamed for us copping injuries. Ronald has proven at state level he is a much better batsman than his first few performances but he is definatly a better bowler than batter. His bowling in his first test was well and truly good enough for his position and if he can take 3 wickets here whilst keeping it tight again i would not be against the selectors giving him a decent go at it.

I am extremely curious to see if Hilf can control and work the swing well.

The last 4 first innings total at the Wanderers are (in reverse chronological) SA 226 (won), IND 249 (won), NZ 119 (lost), SA 303 (lost), ENG 411 (won). That goes back to 2005 but our score at 350 is certainly something to bowl at.

North gets his Century on Debut

good job

maybe we should just play blokes that have 10 years experience for 3- 4 years each, well as batsman

well we took a dismal lead of 246 against the best side in the world by a long shot "apparently" (even with a few injuries still)

HUghes mainly (22) and katich have given us another 30 by tea.

it is our to lose from here and unless the pitch really flattens out we should win.

Would be interesting to go 3 - 0 after all ther profits sprouting their crap over the last month. We certainly are not done and we are rebuilding

Profits? There aren't many of those, not in the current economic climate mate.

Aus are playing bloody well at the moment. Hughes batting well, but the bowling was more pleasing. Siddle looked very good, I've backed him as a bowler who will get 300 wickets and been laughed at. I reckon I'll have the last laugh on that one.

After 3 days, I think we'd be really struggling to lose it from here, but weather can stop us from winning. Then again, the whole local tour taught me that games can change in a session.....so.....lets hope we can keep it together, yeah?

In both the first and second test in Australia, we were lengths ahead at certain times - but the crucial and critical sessions later on killed us. When you think that Ntini has had more tests than three quarters of the Aussie bowlers in total, that is part of the issue for our boys.

Good signs though!

That's what I meant - apart from Ponting, there are no survivors from the test in India that we lost after getting them to follow on.

So does anyone think the Saffies will chase down the 450 required. Only 270 odd left to get with 8 wickets in hand. Surely they couldn't do another Perth on us could they ?

A couple of wickets before the new ball is due would be a good start, then hopefully Hilfy can get some swing.

Well we got there, seems like an eternity since we last took 20 wickets in a Test Match.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2