Fit Jack shapes up for exciting season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Fit Jack shapes up for exciting season

Joe Barton

27 February 2008

http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/02/27/8932_sports.html

THERE has been a good feeling around the Afamasaga household this pre-season.

For the first time in four years Jack Afamasaga has survived an off-season without one of his legs going under the knife.

In 2004 the ball-playing back-rower had surgery on his right ankle, then the next year he suffered from compartment syndrome in both of his calves.

In 2006 a knee injury suffered mid-year required a complete reconstruction - surgery which ruined his entire off-season.

"Everything with my legs is fine for the first time," he told The Manly Daily with relief ahead of the Sea Eagles trial against the Warriors in Caloundra on Friday night.

"It is massively pleasing.

"Last year, coming over from Parramatta, I couldn't run at all. I looked like a gimp when I tried to run.

"I had no flexibility and no strength in my knee.

"This pre and off-season is the only one where I've done nothing to my legs, nothing that's going to keep me out of the game. I've got plenty of miles in my legs. It's shaping up to be an exciting year."

Afamasaga had one minor hiccup during the break, when he broke his hand while sparring during training.

"I broke my hand boxing with a mate," he said.

"So I had to have surgery on it, but I've recovered pretty good from that. There's a good feeling around the house.

"My partner is always telling me that this year is going to be a massive year, it's up to me now."

Afamasaga missed Manly's first trial against Melbourne with a stomach virus, but last night the Wellington junior was named in a 24-man squad to take on the Warriors.

The 23-year-old is desperate to cement a spot in Manly's top 17 with the Sea Eagles possessing some of the strongest forwards in the NRL.

"I do enjoy the competition," he said. "Some people take offence or don't like it, but I take it as something to challenge yourself on."

Sea Eagles boss Grant Mayer has emphatically ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Bulldogs CEO position.

Mayer, the Bulldogs operations manager from 1999 to 2005, is contracted at Manly until October next year.

"I'm not going anywhere," Mayer said.

Mayer had better NOT go anywhere !! We don't want a repeat of that last goose, who is now failing at Rugby Union.

With a reported salary of $350K on offer at the Dogs you would have to think there is at least a temptation to Mayer to consider the any offer that may be made.

As for being under under contract Manly have shown that they are sympathetic when it comes to allowing employees to maximise their earning potential.

The Bulldogs have already stated that they want "one of their own" to assume the CEO role, Mayer will tick that box in the application form.

If the board signed off the Monagahan deal will they do the same with Mayer if the request was made? To say no may be viewed as some as being hypocritical.

Ryan link said:
Mayer had better NOT go anywhere !! We don't want a repeat of that last goose, who is now failing at Rugby Union.
I think you will find Wilson has been dumped since John O"Neill went back to Rugby or is on the outer and heading west!!!

Had high hopes for big Jack last year. I was disappointed.

The contract is up Jack and you have no injuries, no impediments Its now or never.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6