Fittler all but resigned to losing Tupou

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Fittler all but resigned to losing Tupou

Glenn Jackson | April 21, 2008

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/fittler-all-but-resigned-to-losing-tupou/2008/04/20/1208629732433.html

If Roosters fans have woken this morning dirty that their side gave up an eight-point lead to capitulate in the second half against Newcastle yesterday, their day will not get any better from the club's admission they have all but given up on re-signing representative second-rower Anthony Tupou.

Coach Brad Fittler last night admitted he was almost resigned to losing one of the last marquee players on the market - effectively handing him to Manly.

"We're pretty much at the stage where we'll most probably lose him," Fittler told Newcastle radio before kick-off yesterday.

"It's no secret to the boys and no secret to anyone out there. It's a shame because he's a champion bloke.

"If anyone were to pick him up, I couldn't imagine a better buy this year, next year or years after that."

The post-match horizon had, unsurprisingly, not improved his thinking.

"At the moment, the salary cap's very limited," he said. "It's extremely disappointing. He's a fantastic person, and a fantastic player."

Still, Tupou maintained he had not decided where he would head next season, while Roosters boss Brian Canavan was a little less downbeat about the club's chances of retaining their star back-rower.

Canavan will pore over the books again today, however it is becoming increasingly clear the Roosters do not have enough funds under the salary cap - certainly not enough to match the sort of offer being waved at the Test back-rower from the Sea Eagles - unless they can shed some high-priced talent quickly.

"We'll revisit it again [today]," he said.

But the murky situation involving Tupou was enough for Canavan to call for the scrapping of the current free-for-all transfer system in favour of a post-season window.

"We're rushing business decisions," Canavan said, admitting that scenario was evident in Tupou's case. "Often that has a negative outcome for one party or the other."

It was a dog of a day all round for the Roosters, especially for halfback Mitchell Pearce, who started it in the running for a State of Origin jumper but ended it with blood on his boots over the critical game-turning play - a missed touch finder which led to the Knights grabbing the lead in the 74th minute.

They never surrendered it.

"It was just one of them things," Pearce said. "I miskicked it, and they scored off the next set. I've just got to learn from it. I said sorry to the boys. What more can I do? There were a lot more mistakes in the game but it was a big thing.

"I don't feel good about it."

Fittler, though, maintained the best team won on the day.

"At times we looked like the stronger team, but at no stage did we look like the more enthusiastic or the hungrier team," he said.

"That's where we've won all our games this year, with our attitude. If there was a 50/50 they just grabbed it.

"They won the fight in nearly everything."

2 ball playing back rowers in Cuthbo and Tupou would take a lot of pressure off Orford next year if we don’t manage to pick up a 5/8th of some sort.

*fingers crossed*

This is basically an admission that Beaver is going for sure. Good news if we get him as it will balance our pack. Now just look at an inside back or two.

Well according to todays new we have pulled our offer for Tupou......so work that out.

League
Dogs snap at chance of Barrett
By Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett
April 21, 2008 THE Bulldogs have expressed an interest in Trent Barrett should the former St George Illawarra and Test half decide to cut short his stint in England.

......blah blah blah blah...................

Anthony Tupou looks certain to extend his stay at Bondi Junction following Manly's decision to pull their offer off the table for the Test backrower.

The Sea Eagles are believed to have notified Tupou's manager Darryl Mather, of their decision last week and are now focused on recruiting fringe first-graders, particularly backrowers and halves.

It has been reported Tupou was looking at a $1.4 million deal if he moved to Sydney's northern beaches.

"We're fed up talking about Anthony Tupou," Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said on Sunday.

"The club has to move forward and I've no doubt that we'll hear from a number of player managers this week."

Tupou was reluctant to comment on his future, saying he was yet to make a decision.

full article here

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23571346-23214,00.html

Sick of players taking so long to make a decision. It took me less time to decide on a house to buy!

This could be a change in strategy around our media, PR.  For the last few years there were stories floating around that we have 'signed' Tahu, Creagh, Carney etc etc.

The club looks like it is playing down this rumour to better manage the negoatiations, unlike in the past when they either fueled the rumour or just let it run its course.

yeah true Wheel True, either way the tougher approach is something I like

The Wheel link said:
This could be a change in strategy around our media, PR.  For the last few years there were stories floating around that we have 'signed' Tahu, Creagh, Carney etc etc.

The club looks like it is playing down this rumour to better manage the negoatiations, unlike in the past when they either fueled the rumour or just let it run its course.

I agree mate. Mayer is a pretty cluey character.

Waiting for the MNF character to post another derogatory post. Noticed on friday night he was quick to come onto the forum when we got behind but was nowhere to be seen when we won!!!

Ryan link said:
[quote author=The Wheel link=topic=177378.msg182801#msg182801 date=1208744524]

[/quote]

Isn't Zorba our Media manager  ;)

The Wheel link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=177378.msg182805#msg182805 date=1208746789]
[quote author=The Wheel link=topic=177378.msg182801#msg182801 date=1208744524]

[/quote]

Isn't Zorba our Media manager   ;)
[/quote]

He was on the radio last week, saying Matai was making a return to footy, and expect to be surprised by the position he plays on the field.

He played Center.

You couldn't imagine my horror  ::)

;D

Canteen Worker link said:
Where is that clap emoticon!!!!  Great post.

eusa_clap.gif

clap0xd.gif

Canteen Worker link said:
Waiting for the MNF character to post another derogatory post. Noticed on friday night he was quick to come onto the forum when we got behind but was nowhere to be seen when we won!!!

too true the wanker hasn't been sighted since
Animation%2051.gif

Why would we go and spend up big on another backrower when we need to spend money on a quality half and 5/8.  Tupou is just talking up his contract negs with the rorters.     

Tupou ended up at the Sharks apparently. $1.5 mill over four years - as far as I know that is less than the 400k we offered. Apparently the reason he chose the Sharks was to play under Stuart.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html

THE Cronulla Sharks have tonight signed Test forward Anthony Tupou from the Roosters on a four year deal.
Tupou is understood to have agreed to a $1.5 million deal that will see him leave Bondi after six-years.

The Sharks had to beat off a massive offer from Manly and a desperate attempt by Roosters supremeo Nick Polits to keep the strapping forward at the club.

Sources tonight indicated it was the opportunity to play under Kangaroo coach Stuart that swayed the deal the Sharks way for four seasons in the Shire.

Makes sense too in the shire is a lot closer to the city than narrabeen. Mind you, important to note that Manly released today that they had withdrawn the offer. The article is therefore wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7