Flags and Banners

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Boozo

Reserve Grader
I found my old Manly flag in the back shed. Hand made and sewn in 1978 and waved joyously at many a ground in the 70's and 80's. Did the artwork myself and press-ganged my mum into doing the sewing. Wonderful memories of footy back in the tribal days when there was a 'softening up period' and we played everyone else twice a year, once at their homeground and once at Brookie.

Finding my old flag got me thinking:

What's the best flag or banner you've seen from both from the current crop and/or the past?

I particuarly like 'PUSH IT UP MANLY'

and

NO ONE LIKES US. WE DON'T CARE

(I'm trying to add a picture as an attachment but keep getting a message saying the file is too large - 1.28MB. I thought I could use up to 3.91MB. If anyone can help me out I'll add the picture later)

My banner, which I got my mum to sow back in 78, read THE MIGHTY MANLY MACHINE. I had to compete with THE GRAHAM EADIE STAND to who got best position back then.
I deleted my HASLER'S HEROES banner before this years GF and changed my sign to OH YEAH on one side and on the other, TRY TIME.

This is the link for a picture of my old flag. (Learning this IT stuff as I go. Hope the link works)
10p6gyw.jpg[

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Save the pic to your pc
Go to a site called tinypic
Upload to it then add the result here

Thanks BE. I've done that. Hope it works

Boozo said:
This is the link for a picture of my old flag. (Learning this IT stuff as I go. Hope the link works)
http://i44.tinypic.com/10p6gyw.jpg[[hr]
[quote='Berkeley_Eagle']
Save the pic to your pc
[/quote]

[/quote]

[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/10p6gyw.jpg

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Boozo said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/10p6gyw.jpg[[hr]
[quote='Berkeley_Eagle']
Save the pic to your pc
[/quote]

[/quote]

[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/10p6gyw.jpg

Much appreciated BE. Thanks again

I've been around for a while but can someone tell me the story behind the Push it up Manly and My Garden Shed banners?

The Push It Up Manly banner came from a little chant that one of our mates on the hill started. A couple of his mates had the sign made up for him and the rest is history.

My Garden Shed was also made I think after we started the "My Garden Shed" chants at games back in 2008. I don't know when Mybludog made the banner. You might need to ask him, but it was sometime after Canberra '08 from what I remember. The chant was used a lot after a few of us on this forum came back from Canberra with the chant in '08.

Thanks for the reply Jono. Push it up is self explanitory but what is my garden shed about?

Stevo said:
Push it up is self explanitory but what is my garden shed about?

http://www.mygardenshed.org/what-is-your-favourite-football-chant/

As per alot of chants, we borrowed My Garden Shed from Pommyball, see above link for information.

But to balance out the world I had a workmate who was out from Birmingham for most of the 08 season, and I sent him home with a few of our own chants to share at Brummie games.

Jono said:
The Push It Up Manly banner came from a little chant that one of our mates on the hill started. A couple of his mates had the sign made up for him and the rest is history.

But the big question is, push what up and where? Don't take offense but in my opinion, for someone not in the know, the banner looks ridiculous without knowing it's meaning. You say it comes from a little chant well maybe if you tell us what the chant is then that may help to understand the banner's meaning too. Your help in the clarification of the banner's meaning would be appreciative.

Stevo said:
Push it up is self explanitory

I beg to differ

Jethro said:
Jono said:

But the big question is, push what up and where? Don't take offense but in my opinion, for someone not in the know, the banner looks ridiculous without knowing it's meaning. You say it comes from a little chant well maybe if you tell us what the chant is then that may help to understand the banner's meaning too. Your help in the clarification of the banner's meaning would be appreciative.

I think the whole ambiguity of it all makes it a great banner, and the effect it has on George Rose when he strolls across motioning with his hands - pushing them up into the air - is a great crowd pleaser.

captainskin said:
Jethro said:
Jono said:

I think the whole ambiguity of it all makes it a great banner

and again, I beg to differ. To me and possibly to many others, without knowing it's meaning, it looks ridiculous.

Don't forget there is a special "Push It Up" dance, to make it even more appealing.

Jethro said:
captainskin said:
Jethro said:
Jono said:

and again, I beg to differ. To me and possibly to many others, without knowing it's meaning, it looks ridiculous.

Regardless, these two banners now are identified heavily with the MWTS group, and funnily enough I sent a request down to Sea Eagle HQ last week for some new images to use next year and one of the three photo's they sent me had these two banners side by side.

So even they are identifying with them.

Do banners have to mean something....you'd have to say the "Snakes Alive" one up further doesn't mean much either, but "Snakes" the owner has made it famous.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Jethro said:
captainskin said:
Jethro said:
Jono said:

Regardless, these two banners now are identified heavily with the MWTS group, and funnily enough I sent a request down to Sea Eagle HQ last week for some new images to use next year and one of the three photo's they sent me had these two banners side by side.

So even they are identifying with them.

Do banners have to mean something....you'd have to say the "Snakes Alive" one up further doesn't mean much either, but "Snakes" the owner has made it famous.

Mark, I don't really care if the Sea Eagles HQ identifies with the "Push It Up" banner and I always thought that "Snake" was Brett Stewart and related the "Snakes Alive" banner to him but now you tell me that Snake is someone else who owns the banner.

All I'm asking for is the meaning of the "Push It Up" banner to help me to understand it but so far, it would appear that nobody can tell me with the information.

"Push it up" could mean so many things from increasing the score against the opposition to a reference to Hoppa Snr's wedgie incident as far as I know. Is it so hard for someone in the know to be able to give the information?

Jono said:

It's an in-joke, more or less.

Wolfpack said:
Jono said:

It's an in-joke, more or less.

So, it's an "IN"-joke is it?

So does anyone outside of the "IN" crowd, know the meaning of the "Push It Up" banner or is everybody else, who is not part of the "IN" crowd (but who likes the banner), just a Lemming amongst a group of other Lemmings, all marching in a conga line of acceptance of the banner just "because" and for no other reason?

I thought that just by being a Manly supporter that we were all equals but obviously not as some are "IN"-crowd and some are not and the "IN" crowd don't like to share information. It all sounds like the "True Supporter" crap rearing it's ugly head again to me.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2