"Flawed attack"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
"Flawed attack"

It's not often I agree with that puffy headed buffoon otherwise known as Phil Gould but his comments on the Sunday Roast today were interesting.

His synopsis is our 3 main playmakers all run sideways and just crowd the outside backs so all we have left is to jag a few lucky tries from kicks and Watmough as the only straight runner.

I would have to whole heartedly agree with that - Orford, Lyon and Ballin have developed a horrible habit of a failure to go direct. 

Gould's statement was that it has been this way for 6 months and nothing has been done to rectify it and that because of it "our attack is flawed" and we will not score points in pressure games.

Re: "Flawed attack"

Agree with what he is saying but he was also saying a couple of weeks ago that we were back and are the real deal (or words to that effect).

We seem to be panicking and trying to score of every set, what happened to building pressure and then scoring points off the back of that. Too many stupid balls that do not need to be thrown costing us field position and eventually points. Wolfman should have a spell and come back when the beard is back in full bloom! OX I love you but your making it very hard for me to stand up for you.
Top 4 is gone I hope we don't play Melbourne or the dragons in the semis!

Fulton link said:
We seem to be panicking and trying to score of every set, what happened to building pressure and then scoring points off the back of that. Too many stupid balls that do not need to be thrown costing us field position and eventually points. Wolfman should have a spell and come back when the beard is back in full bloom! OX I love you but your making it very hard for me to stand up for you.
Top 4 is gone I hope we don't play Melbourne or the dragons in the semis!

We are giving away far too many dumb penalties as well

The defence is crap as well as we are leaking far too may tries against us.  Gould also said that the players are not defending for each other.

It's called Flawford attack  *boom tish*

Get the defence right then attack will follow hopefully, playing catch up seems to make them panic.

thats why Foran was so good.. hed take the line on. Move Lyon where he belongs FFS Dessie!

This sideways running rubbish started in earnest in the Sharks game 4 rounds ago.

Matabele link said:
It's not often I agree with that puffy headed buffoon otherwise known as Phil Gould

Phil Gould is very seldom wrong on footy matters Mata, so I don't know what that says about you mate :p

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=181310.msg235764#msg235764 date=1249787648]
It's not often I agree with that puffy headed buffoon otherwise known as Phil Gould

Phil Gould is very seldom wrong on footy matters Mata, so I don't know what that says about you mate :p
[/quote]  That I know one more thing about football than News Limited's stable of journalists!

Mata, I have been saying this all along. We just don't seem to have the ability to run straight and break the defensive line or have the players following up someone who can create half break and swoop on the pass. We do it at times in patches but it’s not consistent enough.

Well what happen on Saturday is now dead and buried in the past, time to move on and hopefully smiles to be had by all next week if we can get one up on the Rorters.

No mention of the extreme LACK of support play??

The offloads, when they happen, are going to players standing flat footed because it seems everyone is waiting for someone else to move forward.

Robbo is killing me with this, he's just never there in attack. Whatever happened to wingers/centres and fullback running in to take the offload to make the break and score the try?!

It's like no-one can bothered at the moment. Monday nights game was a prime example of this. Nobody was backing up in attack. I can't comment too much on Saturdays game as I refused to watch the entire debacle but I'm sure it was evident then as well.

Perhaps the time has come to stop saying the other teams have been "lucky" in beating us and the bounce of the ball wasn't going our way. The entire club needs to stand up, be accountable for their own actions/inactions and earn their salary.

*rant over  ;D*

Concerned Supporter, you are right there

The drifting across the field attack wouldn't be so bad, if somebody other than Watmough would run an angle off the playmakers shoulder and run straight and hard.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=181310.msg235808#msg235808 date=1249807468]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=181310.msg235764#msg235764 date=1249787648]

Phil is a league genius and guru, wonder why he is coming second last in the SMH tipping, and not even a close second. I suppose if you say a real lot of things chances are some of them will be correct.

[/quote]  That I know one more thing about football than News Limited's stable of journalists!
[/quote]

Forget about tips, they mean nothing. A couple of years back some 8 year old kid won a comp in 1 of the mags or papers

Listen to him call a game of footy, and how often something he picks up on, and tells you, happens within the next 5 minutes. It is not simple stuff either

Matabele link said:
It's not often I agree with that puffy headed buffoon otherwise known as Phil Gould but his comments on the Sunday Roast today were interesting.

His synopsis is our 3 main playmakers all run sideways and just crowd the outside backs so all we have left is to jag a few lucky tries from kicks and Watmough as the only straight runner.

I would have to whole heartedly agree with that - Orford, Lyon and Ballin have developed a horrible habit of a failure to go direct. 

Gould's statement was that it has been this way for 6 months and nothing has been done to rectify it and that because of it \"our attack is flawed\" and we will not score points in pressure games.

Warren Ryan was saying essentially the same thing on ABC radio.

Last year it seemed we had Beaver, Snake and Choc coming through as straighter runners to Orford and Lyon's sideways setup moves.

DSM5 link said:
I do it all the time Kiwi, and you pillory me for it.

I must admit that I don't hear your commentaries while watching the games DSM. Where can I find those ?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2