Football Club response to Sea Eagles request for less than 10 games at Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Apologies if this has been posted.

Mr Paul Grzanka
General Manager, Marketing and Consumer
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Sydney Academy of Sport and Recreation,
Wakehurst Pkwy, North Narrabeen NSW 2101
11th August 2015
Dear Paul,
I write in reference to the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles Limited (‘the Sea Eagles’) request for
the Manly-Warringah Rugby League Football Club Limited (‘the Football Club’), as holder of the
Preference Share, to consider the following as per the document “Match-Day Analysis
Summary”:
 The consent of the MWRLFC to play less than 10 games at Brookvale Oval from
2016 onwards;
 The alteration of the Constitutional requirement and Preference Share right to play
a minimum number of games at Brookvale Oval, and
 Endorsement to pursue the best commercial and on-field outcomes with alternative
venues.
The Football Club Board has given very careful consideration to the request and on their behalf
I provide the following response.
The Football Club strongly supports the Sea Eagles pursuing the best commercial
arrangements possible for the existing two home game matches played at alternative venues.
Whilst not privy to the financial details, we understand there are several lucrative options
currently “on the table” for future years.
We are further advised that some of these options involve a multi-year lock in to achieve the
financial outcome.
We strongly support and encourage the Sea Eagles to pursue the two most profitable of these
options, subject to the usual considerations given to the impact on the team and their
performance.
The Football Club Board however does not support the request for an alteration to the
Preference Share right to play a minimum number of games at Brookvale Oval.
Such a request is unacceptable and will set a precedent to move the Sea Eagles away from
Brookvale Oval on an increasing basis.
We acknowledge the challenges and limitations of Brookvale Oval – it is certainly not a new
issue for the Football Club, nor, we assume, for the owners. That is why we have always
supported efforts by the Sea Eagles to seek government funding for its improvement.
We believe these efforts should continue.
Any signal we are reducing our commitment to the place that has been our home ground since
1947 will only serve to give government reasons not to provide support.
We would also be interested to hear how the Sea Eagles are planning to use the existing $10
million pledged by the Prime Minister towards Brookvale Oval and what actions resulted from
the joint Sea Eagles/NRL feasibility study.
We also recall the private owner’s announcement last year of their plans for the complete,
privately funded redevelopment of Brookvale Oval and would be interested in hearing progress
on that front.
Further, we do not give any weight to the argument that taking more games away will help the
Sea Eagles in their current negotiations with Warringah Council. The exorbitant fee to use the
ground is not imposed on a per match basis, but rather on a yearly basis. Based on their words
and actions to date, Council will still claim the upkeep and maintenance costs remain the same and therefore there is nothing to suggest they will reduce the charges for the Sea Eagles
playing fewer games.
The Football Club strongly supports the Sea Eagles’ efforts to challenge Warringah Council
publicly on their fees and charges which are totally out of step with the way other similarly
placed NRL Clubs are treated by their respective Councils.
Warringah Council’s lack of support for a long standing community organisation like the Sea
Eagles is reprehensible.
Finally, although the Football Club Board does not support the request to alter the Preference
Share and remove the minimum number of games at Brookvale Oval provision, there is
certainly provision for any eligible voting member of the Football Club to put forward such a
change to the Constitution and have the members vote.
This could be done by way of moving a Special Resolution at the Annual General Meeting in
accordance with the relevant sections of the Corporations Act (2001) which includes 5% of the
eligible voting members or 100 members to propose the resolution, and with appropriate
notice.
Yours sincerely
Bob Stevenson
Chairman
Manly-Warringah Rugby League Football Club

"I write in reference to the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles Limited (‘the Sea Eagles’) request for the Manly-Warringah Rugby League Football Club Limited (‘the Football Club’), as holder of the Preference Share, to consider the following as per the document “Match-Day Analysis Summary”:  The consent of the MWRLFC to play less than 10 games at Brookvale Oval from 2016 onwards;  The alteration of the Constitutional requirement and Preference Share right to play a minimum number of games at Brookvale Oval, and  Endorsement to pursue the best commercial and on-field outcomes with alternative venues. The Football Club Board has given very careful consideration to the request and on their behalf I provide the following response. The Football Club strongly supports the Sea Eagles pursuing the best commercial arrangements possible for the existing two home game matches played at alternative venues. Whilst not privy to the financial details, we understand there are several lucrative options currently “on the table” for future years. We are further advised that some of these options involve a multi-year lock in to achieve the financial outcome. We strongly support and encourage the Sea Eagles to pursue the two most profitable of these options, subject to the usual considerations given to the impact on the team and their performance. The Football Club Board however does not support the request for an alteration to the Preference Share right to play a minimum number of games at Brookvale Oval. Such a request is unacceptable and will set a precedent to move the Sea Eagles away from Brookvale Oval on an increasing basis. We acknowledge the challenges and limitations of Brookvale Oval – it is certainly not a new issue for the Football Club, nor, we assume, for the owners. That is why we have always supported efforts by the Sea Eagles to seek government funding for its improvement. We believe these efforts should continue. Any signal we are reducing our commitment to the place that has been our home ground since 1947 will only serve to give government reasons not to provide support. We would also be interested to hear how the Sea Eagles are planning to use the existing $10 million pledged by the Prime Minister towards Brookvale Oval and what actions resulted from the joint Sea Eagles/NRL feasibility study. We also recall the private owner’s announcement last year of their plans for the complete, privately funded redevelopment of Brookvale Oval and would be interested in hearing progress on that front. Further, we do not give any weight to the argument that taking more games away will help the Sea Eagles in their current negotiations with Warringah Council. The exorbitant fee to use the ground is not imposed on a per match basis, but rather on a yearly basis. Based on their words and actions to date, Council will still claim the upkeep and maintenance costs remain the same and therefore there is nothing to suggest they will reduce the charges for the Sea Eagles playing fewer games. The Football Club strongly supports the Sea Eagles’ efforts to challenge Warringah Council publicly on their fees and charges which are totally out of step with the way other similarly placed NRL Clubs are treated by their respective Councils. Warringah Council’s lack of support for a long standing community organisation like the Sea Eagles is reprehensible. Finally, although the Football Club Board does not support the request to alter the Preference Share and remove the minimum number of games at Brookvale Oval provision, there is certainly provision for any eligible voting member of the Football Club to put forward such a change to the Constitution and have the members vote. This could be done by way of moving a Special Resolution at the Annual General Meeting in accordance with the relevant sections of the Corporations Act (2001) which includes 5% of the eligible voting members or 100 members to propose the resolution, and with appropriate notice. Yours sincerely Bob Stevenson Chairman Manly-Warringah Rugby League Football Club"

This letter was copied to MWRLFC members a few minutes ago and I apologize for the solid block of words. I copied the text and this is how it was pasted.

Good on the MWRLFC in standing its ground on this matter and a number of ver good points were made!

"I write in reference to the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles Limited (‘the Sea Eagles’) request for the Manly-Warringah Rugby League Football Club Limited (‘the Football Club’), as holder of the Preference Share, to consider the following as per the document “Match-Day Analysis Summary”:  The consent of the MWRLFC to play less than 10 games at Brookvale Oval from 2016 onwards;  The alteration of the Constitutional requirement and Preference Share right to play a minimum number of games at Brookvale Oval, and  Endorsement to pursue the best commercial and on-field outcomes with alternative venues. The Football Club Board has given very careful consideration to the request and on their behalf I provide the following response. The Football Club strongly supports the Sea Eagles pursuing the best commercial arrangements possible for the existing two home game matches played at alternative venues. Whilst not privy to the financial details, we understand there are several lucrative options currently “on the table” for future years. We are further advised that some of these options involve a multi-year lock in to achieve the financial outcome. We strongly support and encourage the Sea Eagles to pursue the two most profitable of these options, subject to the usual considerations given to the impact on the team and their performance. The Football Club Board however does not support the request for an alteration to the Preference Share right to play a minimum number of games at Brookvale Oval. Such a request is unacceptable and will set a precedent to move the Sea Eagles away from Brookvale Oval on an increasing basis. We acknowledge the challenges and limitations of Brookvale Oval – it is certainly not a new issue for the Football Club, nor, we assume, for the owners. That is why we have always supported efforts by the Sea Eagles to seek government funding for its improvement. We believe these efforts should continue. Any signal we are reducing our commitment to the place that has been our home ground since 1947 will only serve to give government reasons not to provide support. We would also be interested to hear how the Sea Eagles are planning to use the existing $10 million pledged by the Prime Minister towards Brookvale Oval and what actions resulted from the joint Sea Eagles/NRL feasibility study. We also recall the private owner’s announcement last year of their plans for the complete, privately funded redevelopment of Brookvale Oval and would be interested in hearing progress on that front. Further, we do not give any weight to the argument that taking more games away will help the Sea Eagles in their current negotiations with Warringah Council. The exorbitant fee to use the ground is not imposed on a per match basis, but rather on a yearly basis. Based on their words and actions to date, Council will still claim the upkeep and maintenance costs remain the same and therefore there is nothing to suggest they will reduce the charges for the Sea Eagles playing fewer games. The Football Club strongly supports the Sea Eagles’ efforts to challenge Warringah Council publicly on their fees and charges which are totally out of step with the way other similarly placed NRL Clubs are treated by their respective Councils. Warringah Council’s lack of support for a long standing community organisation like the Sea Eagles is reprehensible. Finally, although the Football Club Board does not support the request to alter the Preference Share and remove the minimum number of games at Brookvale Oval provision, there is certainly provision for any eligible voting member of the Football Club to put forward such a change to the Constitution and have the members vote. This could be done by way of moving a Special Resolution at the Annual General Meeting in accordance with the relevant sections of the Corporations Act (2001) which includes 5% of the eligible voting members or 100 members to propose the resolution, and with appropriate notice. Yours sincerely Bob Stevenson Chairman Manly-Warringah Rugby League Football Club"

This letter was copied to MWRLFC members a few minutes ago and I apologize for the solid block of words. I copied the text and this is how it was pasted.

Good on the MWRLFC in standing its ground on this matter and a number of ver good points were made!

My only question is to us .Can we all as a club and culture at the sea eagles survive the Penn controlled time at our club. ? I hope we can and soon see the back of them before the place as we all have known it is lost forever.

I don't really agree with this. I think 8 games at Brooky is enough. 2 Gosford, one at Homebush on a big weekend and one bush (Monday nighter).

Financially it clearly doesn't make sense and with more live games on telly they will lose even more money being forced to use it. These guys blocking also gives the council the upper hand in negotiations so why they released this while the negotitations are still going is beyond me.

They should be allowed to take a couple of the **** games that are locked in for times that historically draw poor crowds away on a conditional basis. That makes sense but these guys aren't into solutions, just blocking stuff.

Dislike or troll away...

I don't really agree with this. I think 8 games at Brooky is enough. 2 Gosford, one at Homebush on a big weekend and one bush (Monday nighter).

Financially it clearly doesn't make sense and with more live games on telly they will lose even more money being forced to use it. These guys blocking also gives the council the upper hand in negotiations so why they released this while the negotitations are still going is beyond me.

They should be allowed to take a couple of the **** games that are locked in for times that historically draw poor crowds away on a conditional basis. That makes sense but these guys aren't into solutions, just blocking stuff.

Dislike or troll away...
Hey Loobs some good points.
Do you have a connection to the Penns? You seem to me ( I haven't read all your posts hence the question) to be rather pro Penn and a bit anti the DRLFC in a few posts. I just trying understand all the forum characters.
Cheers

One of the most important things you can do to have your say (if you are not already) is to become a member of the Football Club. It doesn't cost much and after a three years you do get to vote on who represents us on the board and in turn where we play, what colours we wear. I joined after Northern Eagles debacle as I never wanted to ever feel again powerless and that I didn't have any say in what happened to the Sea Eagles.

Hey Loobs some good points.
Do you have a connection to the Penns? You seem to me ( I haven't read all your posts hence the question) to be rather pro Penn and a bit anti the DRLFC in a few posts. I just trying understand all the forum characters.
Cheers
Haha no I'm just of the opinion that the landscape has changed and the live aspect will lose to TV.

If we as a club want to expand our fan base and survive then we need to take games out of Brookie. We are too closely associated with a very specific area and it is a double edged sword. Great because of the pride in the club and connection to the beaches but it limits our growth.

As far as the district club goes, I'm not an out and out hater but they put up this defender of the people facade while offering no solutions.

Dislike or troll away...
As a member I'd be happy to debate the pros and cons and consider maybe 1 extra game being taken elsewhere. The wording of the above seems to suggest an unspecified number of games for an unspecified number of years, so I support the footy club saying no. However give us the details Sea Eagles Board and we can have an intelligent look at this.

Another thing to consider is that we are very likely to have a northern beaches regional council by next season, as the State Gov is close to making this happen. The sea eagles board will have a new, bigger council to negotiate with, who will need a regional focus. Potentially a different kettle of fish to the basket case council of warringah. Let's hope this is understood at board level, and that a strategy is in place.

We don't want to love the club to death, easy for those to say get rid of Scott Penn but who takes over? Potentially we could be the Perth Sea a Eagles if we go broke or the Penns hand back the license. Then what will you FC do??

I agree with a lot of the points above, provide some detail and it can be considered.

We must stick solid behind Bob Stephenson, who is a good man with the same values that the overwhelming majority of us here have. We can't let any more games go from Brookie or else it will be like removing a foundation stone from a wall. Once we weaken control the Penns will chip away until we lose our spiritual home.
With the proposed new TV deal it's obvious that the NRL cares solely about TV rights and not about fans who actually make the sacrifices to attend matches. It will mean crowds will continue to decline as more eyeballs are fixed on TV screens. So, playing at a stadium any larger than Brookie is irrelevant. . . . unless the NRL likes seeing acres of empty seats.
Amongst all the back-slapping about the extra money being ploughed into rugby league I can find no mention of the NRL reducing ticket pricing. They are treating us like second-class citizens, yet it won;t take much to lose us.

My fear is what would happen in the event of the Penn's going down the gurgler. Australian sport is littered with privately owned clubs that went down when their owners did.

We don't want to love the club to death, easy for those to say get rid of Scott Penn but who takes over? Potentially we could be the Perth Sea a Eagles if we go broke or the Penns hand back the license. Then what will you FC do??

I agree with a lot of the points above, provide some detail and it can be considered.

If the Franchise goes broke, the NRL take over and try to find another financial partner - like Titans, Tigers, Knights, St George. They have just committed to 8 games per week till 2022 on TV.

The Warringah Council consultation has been going on for years - Kerry Sbiraa has even presented updates at the FC AGMs.

It is not the FC that is the problem, nor is it their decision - its is the 75% Members that will vote on this matter should a feasible to Council Plan be actually submitted.

The DA proposed by the Penns is the stumbling block at the Council, as it would dramatically change the landscape and clog the transit of Brookvale.

The $20 million available could be used to extend the seating/facilities. It is not enough to build an 8 story multi use commercial/residential building on the site.

All the proposals are available on the Warringah Council site.

My fear is what would happen in the event of the Penn's going down the gurgler. Australian sport is littered with privately owned clubs that went down when their owners did.
Nah we're good so long as we are a country of lard arses looking for the easy way out...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7