Foran and JWH in NZ squad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Manly youngsters Kieren Foran and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves will be forced to make decisions on their international allegiance after being named in a 45-man New Zealand squad for the end-of-season Quad-Nations tournament.

The squad also includes Warriors sensation Kevin Locke and Newcastle back rower Zeb Taia, whose eligibility is yet to be confirmed by the Rugby League International Federation.

Foran and Waerea-Hargreaves have both represented Australia at junior level -- the former as a member of the Australian schoolboys and the latter in the 2007 rugby union World Cup.

Their selections stunned Manly officials given neither is a regular first grader -- both have played only a handful of games in the NRL. Their selection could also force both to decide on their representative futures despite the likelihood neither will be chosen in the final squad to play against Australia, England and France later in the year.

"The selection of a player like Kieran Foran from Manly shows there are pathways into our national teams for New Zealand-eligible players living in Australia," Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney said.

"We're committed to giving players like Kieran every opportunity to represent their country."

bottom of http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25888996-5012431,00.html

Foran was a couple of years above my brother at primary school in St Ives (with Pearce). Not sure how he qualifies for NZ.

He was born in NZ to NZ parents and he has stated that he wants to play for NZ in the future.

Is Matai in the squad? I haven't seen or head of his name yet!!

Matai is in.

Squad: L Anderson (Warrington), R Asotasi (South Sydney), A Blair (Melbourne), L Covell (Cronulla), G Eastwood (Canterbury), D Fa'alogo (South Sydney), N Fien (St George Illawarra), K Foran (Manly), A Glenn (Brisbane), B Goodwin (Bulldogs), D Halatau (Wests Tigers), B Harrison (Canberra), L Hohaia (NZ Warriors), K Inu (Parramatta), S Kenny-Dowall (Sydney Roosters), T Leuluai (Wigan), J Lima (Melbourne), K Locke (NZ Warriors), I Luke (South Sydney), S Mannering (NZ Warriors), B Marshall (Wests Tigers), S Matai (Manly), B Matulino (NZ Warriors), F Moimoi (Parramatta), J Nightingale (St George Illawarra), F-P Nuuausala (Sydney Roosters), R Packer (NZ Warriors), S Perrett (Sydney Roosters), E Pettybourne (South Sydney), F Pritchard (Penrith), S Rapira (NZ Warriors), B Roberts (Canterbury), J Ropati (NZ Warriors), S Sa (Sydney Roosters), J Sau (Newcastle), J Smith (St George Illawarra), I Soliola (Sydney Roosters), C Stanley (St George Illawarra), Z Taia (Newcastle), F Talanoa (South Sydney), T Tuiaki (Wests Tigers), M Vatuvei (NZ Warriors), J Waerea-Hargreaves (Manly), B Webb (Leeds), A Winterstein (Brisbane).

Three Super League players have been included in New Zealand's 45-man train-on squad named for the end-of-season Gillette Four Nations series in England and France.

Wigan scrum half or hooker Thomas Leuluai is one of 20 members of the 24-man squad that carried the Kiwis to World Cup glory in last November's final against Australia.

Leeds fullback Brent Webb is included after missing the tournament through injury and there is a recall for Warrington second rower Louis Anderson.

Also included in coach Stephen Kearney's initial squad are South Sydney forward David Fa'alogo and Sydney Roosters centre Iosia Soliola, who will both be playing in Super League in 2010 with Huddersfield and St Helens respectively, and Canterbury Bulldogs forward Greg Eastwood, who is due to join Leeds.

The only players not selected from the World Cup are captain Nathan Cayless, who has retired from international football, injured pair Sika Manu and Evarn Tuimavave and David Kidwell, who has been in playing the New South Wales Cup.

As well as Webb, Kearney has recalled Roy Asotasi, Jeff Lima, Frank Pritchard and Soliola, who also missed the World Cup through injury and join 13 uncapped players.

"The squad reinforces the quality and depth of players we have to choose from when looking to select New Zealand teams these days," said Kearney. "It's getting better all the time."

"We've named 45 players but there are plenty with good claims that haven't been included. That's a sign of the competition we now have for spots and that has to be good for our game."

"There's a lot of football to be played before we can be sure what team we will finally have for the Four Nations but we believe we'll have a competitive squad to go to Europe."

The Kiwis will take on Tonga in a one-off Test in Rotorua on October 14 before setting off for London, where they will open their Four Nations campaign against Australia at the Twickenham Stoop 10 days later.

Their next match is against France in Toulouse on October 31 before the Kiwis return to the United Kingdom to meet England at Huddersfield on November 7. The final will be played at Elland Road a week later.

I posted this up last night but hasn't shown up yet

Both Foran's stated quite a while back they wanted to play for NZ

Kiwi Eagle link said:

and the Other Foran seems to have dropped off the radar

Yep

Was shafted by the Warriors, he wasn't even making reserve grade at times, so he left them and plays for Newtown now, and was picked in the NSW residents side at halfback

Kiwi Eagle link said:

Typical NZ attitude aussie system does the work and you steal them.To rugby league nz is like england is to cricket

reyam link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=181275.msg235237#msg235237 date=1249535381]

Typical NZ attitude aussie system does the work and you steal them.To rugby league nz is like england is to cricket
[/quote]

Guess they just thought they wouldn't mind defending the World Cup

Another small snippet in the Manly Daily is that Manly's head trainer and conditioner Don Singe has been co-opted by Kiwi coach Steve Kearney to look after the World Cup champs for the series. Kearney consulted with Des before offering the job to Singe. Singe was with the Marlins and was in Japan as a rugby conditioner before being lured back by Des.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4