FORAN AT 9 ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ERNIE FOR NO7

Reserve Grader
FORAN at No. 9
A person who I respect very highly as a football judge has been telling me for more than a year that he believes that FORAN would make a champion no. 9.

I had up to now thought that would be such a waste to play him there - But after watching his defence and involvement last Sunday and with his speed of the mark, I have come around to his thinking.

Foran changed the momentum of the game last week against the Roosters. I can now see Foran playing like a Cameron Smith but with a metre more speed. Matt Ballin is a solid toiler but, Foran offers more spark in both attack and defence. In the modern game the dummy halves create lots of half chances and provide a lot of the go forward. Look how effective Farrah and Smith are and Luke is the most penetrative player for the Rabbitohs. You take these players out of those teams and they really struggle.

The number 9’s have become the team’s key player and I think there is real merit in playing Foran there. I think he can become an inspirational team leader in this spot.

What do others think ?

I'm certainly liking his game as 5/8, but I can see where you're coming from. Might also open up a spot for Riccardi (since everyone here rates the guy).
How would you play it though? Ballin starts and Foran off the bench? Seems to waste Foran since he (and Matty) can play for the full 80 minutes.

Foran admitted at the end of last year his body was busted up.  Not sure if he able to take the extra defensive workload at hooker at this stage. 

Maybe another year or two as his body matures.

Manly til i die link said:
Matty Ballin's one of the best hookers in the comp, no need to change that position

I'm not so sure about that anymore.
Ballin is very predictable, although no one can knock his commitment but I think there may be better options in the coming years. He is not creative and lacks speed off the mark. His kicking is quite ordinary for a hooker.
That said, he does his job each week and is consistent without being brilliant.

I watched sunday's game again and Foran is getting better each week at 5/8th.

WAMF link said:
[quote author=Manly til i die link=topic=187042.msg326254#msg326254 date=1300778498]
Matty Ballin's one of the best hookers in the comp, no need to change that position

I'm not so sure about that anymore.
Ballin is very predictable, although no one can knock his commitment but I think there may be better options in the coming years. He is not creative and lacks speed off the mark. His kicking is quite ordinary for a hooker.
That said, he does his job each week and is consistent without being brilliant.
[/quote]

Ive seen this from mid last season....

A little birdy told me a couple of weeks ago that DCE was being given a chance for the first half of the comp and if he hasn't mesured up then Riccardi WILL take his place !!

I'm not sure how creative and quick off the mark he'll be after a few weeks of double the defensive load. I'm sure he'd make a fine dummy half though, but I don't see the need for him to move from 5/8 right at the moment.

I agree that we do need some spark in the 9 as Ballin has stagnated somewhat in his development.

Foran is gonna be one of the legends of the game if he plays to his potential which I know he will! He has a great maturity and class about him

Foran would go great in any position!

On his debut game he was bashing forwards twice the size as him and I thought to myself this kid will be as hard and tenacious as Wally Lewis but as skillfull and crafty as Andrew Johns.

Leave him in the 6 Jersey and watch him progress to be  1 of the greatest players to wear a sea eagles jersey!!

Sterlo mentioned in the Roosters game that Foran is the best young player in the game, but doesnt know which position suits him best. If Andrew Johns has been working with our halves, then Joey would be able to tell us all. I personally think leave him at 6, but if he is in our team at 6,7,9 or 13 I'm happy!

He's quick with brains (centre -5/8: havent seen anyone like him since BrettKenny)....and can tackle like a lock. Leave him right where he is with space and perspective while he's young. At 5/8 he can get involved when he sees the opportunity. Happy days!

Wow, there is some pretty heavy comparisons going on here...Lewis, Johns, Kenny. That's pretty exalted company, and frankly I don't see that quite yet with Foran, he's not a great natural ball player IMO.

I have to disagree with some of the thoughts on Ballin.

Mid season last year, we had forwards that weren't going forward, a half back that didn't seem to know what he was doing and missing some serious strike power in the backs.

Its pretty hard to be creative or quick from dummy half when your forwards aren't penetrating the line.

Ballin was left trying to control the ruck almost single handedly, hence his kicking from dummy half, which quite franklyat times looked like "oh **** we're going nowhere... might as well kick the **** out of it and hope for the best"

With a more dominant halves combination this year, I think we will see more of the Ballin of 08 rather than 09 or 2010.

I'm not totally convinced.  I don't think he'd be able to do at dummy half what a Cameron Smith and Robbie Farah can do from there and that is to control the game.  I think he's best suited a picking and choosing his times and not being a major focus of the attack.

it is a hyperthetical becuase it wont happen this year or next, but it will be interesting what transpires with Foran a couple seasons the track. I have been one of his biggest fans and when you have  a talent like him you try to involve him as much in the game as you can.

He is really starting to develop as an elite five-eighth, and now people are suggesting to move him to 9... I dont think so.

I think his best position will ultimately turn out to be centre. He's not a natural ball player even though he goes OK. He seems much happier when he can run the ball and take on the defence. That's more a natural centres game.

Right now he's better off at #6 but in 2-3 years when we may need to find replacements for Matai & Lyon, he could slot into the centres with Riccardi moving into the halves with DCE.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6