Forecast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Clint

Tipping Member
I am looking to the year ahead and am as hopeful as anyone that we have another successful season.
I have looked at the teams around us in the comp & can't help but think a lot of them have improved with their respective rosters, whilst I think, if anything, we have lost a bit on personnel compared to last year. I appreciate we have some exciting youngsters coming through, but they are probably not yet to the standard of some of the guys we lost.

With the exception that Toovey will have had a full year under his belt, and will therefore be better prepared, why will we go two better than last year, when it appears a lot of the other teams have improved their roster and we haven't?

T-Rex on his day is one of the most destructive attacking weapons in the NRL. Did we see those days regularly last year ?? It's a no from me. Personally I think we are better off with someone who will deliver consistent performances, even if they are a level or two below T-Rex's "potential". At least you know what you are getting and can tailor your attack around what you have. We will just have to go with a different tactic down that side this year, it will give others an opportunity to shine.

Whare is a loss as far as depth goes, but if we lose Killer or Shoulders for any length of time then we will struggle regardless of who mans up. Farrer has his haters here, but I think he is a more than capable NRL standard back, and provides good wing / fullback cover. Wingers are just decoration (so long as they can catch and run) therefore don't count the loss of Oldfield as a biggie. Look at what Horhay produced last year, nothing to say that some of those fringe backs won't do the same. Tonga, Hiku, Gutherson will all relish an opportunity if it is provided.

Lussick, Harrison and Mauro have been adequately replaced already in my book. Fa'aoso, Lawton, Lawrence, Horo, MCK will/should do as good a job as those 3, it wasn't a high bar they set.

On the balance of things I think we are better off than last year. Maybe centre/five eighth depth is a bit down with Whare and Foran's experience being lost but everything else looks OK. I think we have the cattle to go all the way if they stay fit. There is definite improvement to be had in consistency of performance from last season so nothing to say we won't go another game or two further.

I think that the stable off season and the specialty coaches will see Manly more consistent in 2013.

Last year's 'We didn't turn up' must be beaten out of the Players heads by now.:mad:

I really like the 1 year recruits too, as they will be pushing the incumbents to the limit! :D

Bring it On - 2V2Victory!

We could win the grand final again, which is my tip.

However I also hear some little voice whispering caution. After being up for so long, the odds are that at some stage – either sooner or later - our club will have a more mediocre year.

I have no fears about the quality of our roster. The recruitment side has been handled very well. The challenge will be more the mental side of things. A few key injuries early could put us behind the eight-ball confidence and momentum-wise.

For me, a strong showing this season will confirm Toovey's credibility as a top coach in his own right.

My reasons are fairly simple like me Clint..... but here go's.
In 2012 we had a foward pack that was often out enthused & though I dont like to confess it, looked slow motion compared to others.
On our day & we had plenty, when we matched opposition in the ruck we had some impressive wins...why?? 6 & 7 had time to dominate.
Imo the underrated aggressive signings Fa'aso / Horo though not superstars will lift the intensity here & actually lift a few of the older players enthusiasm also.
Also 2 absolute superstar young guns in Chee Kam & Sao - who may need till 2014 but WILL prove a sensational signing imo.
Also think the speedy Lawton could trouble plenty off the bench in La Strange mode.
Bottom line if our fowards can even match opponents the 6 & 7 under Tooves/Johns guidance will lead this side all the way in 2013.
The outside backs fully fit are clearly the best in the NRL imo, just need an even break to own this comp.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6