Forget Rothfield, your Round 1 team and why??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Lets get back to Footy.......we have a lot of new faces and need to fill in some spaces so list your round 1 team, and apart from the obvious ( Snake at fullback etc) list why you picked them in that position.

Rothfield
Ritchie
Zorba
Wilson
Webster
Massoud
Hughes
Kent
Gallop
Harrigan
Sterling
May
Hasler
Cleal

Vs

Manly

With cricket bats

Napper said:
Rothfield
Ritchie
Zorba
Wilson
Webster
Massoud
Hughes
Kent
Gallop
Harrigan
Sterling
May
Hasler

Laurie Daley, Roy Masters and Warren Ryan on the bench

6 of the 7 backs pick themselves
1 snake
2 Jorge
3 captain charger :)
4 matai
5?
6 foz
7 DCE

So who wears 5 assuming wolfman isn't ready
Tonga
Farrar
Hiku

Then
King
Ballin
Kite
Choc
12?
13 gifty

Who gets 12
Joe
Bruher
Richie f
Horo

Where I see the most opportunity is the bench
Rose
Lawrence
Horo
Richie f
Chee kam
Mauro
Farrar
Liam Foran
Bruher

I think hiku will be on the wing if woman isn't ready.
I think Lawrence will make the bench, with horo and buhrer bench/run on between them, depending on where choc pays.
I also think lawton is a smoky for the utility spot on the bench.

Expecting chee kam, gower, Sao, Chisholm, l foran to all see game time at some stage of the year.

Rose and mauro will not make the bench, at full strength.

joeboy said:
I think hiku will be on the wing if woman isn't ready.
I think Lawrence will make the bench, with horo and buhrer bench/run on between them, depending on where choc pays.
I also think lawton is a smoky for the utility spot on the bench.

Expecting chee kam, gower, Sao, Chisholm, l foran to all see game time at some stage of the year.

Rose and mauro will not make the bench, at full strength.

I couldn't agree more. Especially about Lawton. Although that depends on how Buhrer gets used.

Lawrence seems certain to get a solid crack off the bench.

I expect Gutherson and Trbojevic to get some game time by the end of the year. Both were being considered for some time in 2012, but were considered just a little too young. Both will be 19 later this year

And I wouldn't be surprised if young Jamil Hopoate makes an appearance later in the year as well. I believe after the scare of losing any chance of playing footie again and no other employment options, I suspect we'll see a committed young Hopa 3 this year.

Bearfax said:
I expect Gutherson and Trbojevic to get some game time by the end of the year. Both were being considered for some time in 2012, but were considered just a little too young. Both will be 19 later this year

And I wouldn't be surprised if young Jamil Hopoate makes an appearance later in the year as well. I believe after the scare of losing any chance of playing footie again and no other employment options, I suspect we'll see a committed young Hopa 3 this year.

No chance. They're only 18.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again... I think Stromquist would be a great addition to the bench. I hope he gets a look at our club! I'd hate to see him become a star at another club, knowing he is a local junior from the great Asquith Club and also was a member of our great NYC team of a few years back. Just would really hate to see him lost.

Napper said:
Bearfax said:

No chance. They're only 18.

I dont think there's any restriction on them playing at 18 and my understanding is Trbojevic turned 18 mid last year and Gutherson later 2012. I'm pretty sure that the rule change a few years ago made 18 the age when you could first play first grade. Used to be younger. Fulton played for Manly first when he was 17 and I think Roy Bull may have got a game when he was 16. I think Hopoate is 18 too, or will be early this year.

I think that's right about Fulton. He played first grade in the Wollongong comp at 16 and came to Manly the next year already a star. He captain-coached City against Country when he was only 20!

And never played reserve grade in his whole career.

The positions up for grabs are the 5, 12 and the bench.
I'm guessing Wolfman and Buhrer may not be ready for Round 1, so I'll go -
5. Esi Tonga
12. Justin Horo
17. Liam Foran

Jatz Crackers said:
You have to be careful when its a forward. There is real danger if say an 18 year old is thrown in against older more experienced forwards.

I will acknowledge that point though I think you'll find there are been quite a few 17 year old forwards and some 16 year old ones who have been brought into first grade. There was one who played for Cronulla about a decade or so ago who I was pretty sure was 16 and went on to play rep football. I might be wrong but I think there is now a restriction that you have to have turned 17 on Jan 1 to be able to play first grade during that year though that may now be 18. Cant seem to find the info.

No big changes, buhrer to rotate with horo. We may see a young kid on the flank if wolfy is not fit hiku more than likely. Our bench must stand up this season big weakness last year.

1) Snake
2) Taufua
3) Lyon
4) Matai
5) Wolfman (Hiku/Farrar if Wolfman not fit)
6) Foz
7) DCE
8) King
9) Ballin
10) Kite
11) Watmough (Back of the left edge
12) Buhrer (Galuvao if Buhrer not fit) #12 will play tight hopefully)
13) Gift

14) Lawton (Impact ala L'Estrange)
15) Lawrence
16) Galuvao/Horo
17) Richie F

Size and speed on the bench, something we missed sorely last season.

We can't forget that Faoso ( is that how it's spelt) played in the GF last year,he will get a bench spot for sure.

Bearfax said:
Jatz Crackers said:
You have to be careful when its a forward. There is real danger if say an 18 year old is thrown in against older more experienced forwards.

I will acknowledge that point though I think you'll find there are been quite a few 17 year old forwards and some 16 year old ones who have been brought into first grade. There was one who played for Cronulla about a decade or so ago who I was pretty sure was 16 and went on to play rep football. I might be wrong but I think there is now a restriction that you have to have turned 17 on Jan 1 to be able to play first grade during that year though that may now be 18. Cant seem to find the info.

I can still recall a gruesome photo in the SMH many years ago and I think it was of a boom rookie prop called Kevin Gibson who debuted for St George in 1968. He was hailed as a giant front row prodigy. But they sent him out against the fearsome Souths pack, who deliberately targeted him … and didn't miss. The photo of him being taken off showed his nose smeared all over his face and blood everywhere. He never played first grade again until he came back as a plodder in 1975-6.

I was a kid and that image made a lasting impression on me about the toughness and absolute ruthless violence of the game back then. The Manly players who went out and played clean, skilful attacking football against those thugs quickly became heroes to me, while Souths were to be feared and hated. The primeval aspect certainly held a weird fascination for me.

The game is a lot different now but Jatz still makes a very valid point. It is the reason a player like Glenn Stewart was held back until he had matured a bit more physically.

Stewart
Taufua
Matai
Lyon
Williams
Foran
DCE
King
Ballin
Kite
Horo
Watmough
Stewart

Buhrer
Gulavao
Fa'oso
Lawrence

I'm not really sure about Lawrence. I know he's been played as a prop but apparently he's fast, agile and super fit. He may be used in both front and second row rotations?

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8