Forward Passes!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

conanu

Bencher
Dont we blow the whistle for forward passes anymore?

There were two blatent ones from Widdop to Blair in the Melbourne game that were tries. Lulu-eye did two obvious ones in the play directly before the Warriors first 2. No one seems to notice them anymore even the commentators dont mention them anymore.

Yes, seems to be a lot of forward passes these days not getting called.

Maybe an OPSM shout out is needed again

Glad it's not just me that's noticing we got duded yet again !!!!!! So frustrating ,I never post on Fb but my status yesterday was I didn't know forward passes were allowed when scoring tries these days ........how bad was the Hayne try forward pass what a joke !

I guess it's frustrating when you can see it clearly on the telecast, but the on field officials can't see it. I can understand how they (the refs) may not always be in a good position to get a side on view of most passes, seeing as one is in front of the ruck and one is behind and not likely to be parallel to the play to judge the passes. Forward passes should be mainly the domain of the touchies, they should be positioning themselves along the advantage line and getting the best view. They've got very little else to do these days

It's a simplistic view to say that video refs should be able to rule on forward passes. It's easy to call it when they are blatant (Hayne try being case in point), but at some point it will become subjective and with that you get controversy. This is why they changed the rule so video refs couldn't rule on forward passes, the system wasn't perfect. Camera angle is never perfectly perpendicular to the sideline at the point of the pass so replays aren't always clear.

I've seen plenty of flat or non forward passes pulled up lately as well. I think we just need to accept that the game isn't perfect and human error will always be part of it.

I don't always blame the pinkies. I've always said the best place to pick up a forward pass is on TV. Even allowing for the angle of the camera, the markings help a lot and you're not looking through bodies.

I hate to have to put this forward but if any of us really wanted to see league minus all the forward passes then a device attached/inserted to the actual footy combined with devices on sidline mean question marks from the likes of us would be a thing of the past.

The technology is inexpensive and readily available to any sport.

TokyoEagle said:
Touchies job, what else do these guys do. They must be the most overpaid job in Australia ATM.

the touchies were too busy calling us off side on sunday to worry about policing the forward passes!

The amount of tunnel ball from the warriors was an effin joke last Sunday. Proper play the ball seems optional with these refs.

Jatz Crackers said:
I hate to have to put this forward but if any of us really wanted to see league minus all the forward passes then a device attached/inserted to the actual footy combined with devices on sidline mean question marks from the likes of us would be a thing of the past.

The physics around a passed football, previously discussed about how a ball not considered forward really does travel in-front of the line of release, would confuse the technology.

Touchies just need to be more vigilant/vocal about calling them.

I think the technology would be smart enough to determine relative motion from the point of pass release. Determining the point of release in real time would be the difficult issue I would imagine.

Jatz Crackers said:

Spot on. Dont they have it in soccer now to stop incorrect rulings when the ball lands over the goal line?

cava2323 said:
The amount of tunnel ball from the warriors was an effin joke last Sunday. Proper play the ball seems optional with these refs.

I noticed that too and was screaming at the telly. A couple of their players do it nearly every time they play the ball and it definitely speeds up the ruck and gets defenders on the back foot. Crack down required!

Cameron Smith anyone? Every short ball from him at Dummy half is forward FFS and there is no momentum because he is standing still. I'd go as far as saying the ball must go backwards from the hands not flat, flat passes may be penalised which is then the grey area, forward passes will all be penalised then hopefully.

Chip and Chase said:
I think the technology would be smart enough to determine relative motion from the point of pass release. Determining the point of release in real time would be the difficult issue I would imagine.

The last time i made a pass at someone, i was penalised, and told not to be so forward. I was just seeking a point of release, for fs, Next time, have resolved to 'use technology', and imagination, to achieve pass release.

If my 'touchies' are too vocal, will that 'distract' everyone and prevent me from attaching/inserting a device ?

Chip and Chase said:

The 'system' would still need to somehow work out when a player catching a ball forward of the release line is receiving a fair forward pass, or a genuine one.

It would need to know when ball travel is out of the hand, as opposed to kicking or even simple forward motion while in the hand (player momentum, dummies, etc).

It just sounds like a more complicated system which will simply not cope with the variables within the game, and on the pass. Just get the human element more right; touchies do their jobs!!!

Napper said:
Jatz Crackers said:

Spot on. Dont they have it in soccer now to stop incorrect rulings when the ball lands over the goal line?

Isn't that rule in soccer just about using a review system, from a camera in-line with the goal line? Not sure it's a chip.

If it is a chip, then the system would be far easier when considering a single movable object against a stationary line.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Chip and Chase said:

The last time i made a pass at someone, i was penalised, and told not to be so forward. I was just seeking a point of release, for fs, Next time, have resolved to 'use technology', and imagination, to achieve pass release.

If my 'touchies' are too vocal, will that 'distract' everyone and prevent me from attaching/inserting a device ?

Can I just clarify whether you are male or female before I respond to that post.

This pops up every now and then.
To appreciate some of the variables associated with momentum of players when passing the ball, I always recommend this simple experiment.
Take the F3 (or your favourite motorway) and maintain a speed of 110kph. Cruise control helps, if you have it.
Exactly as you draw level with the twin servo exit (or some other clear landmark of your choice) throw your old TV, using a backwards motion, out the passenger side window. (You can use the driver side, but not recommended.)
You will see the TV roll (or sometimes shatter) in a clearly forward direction, even though it was thrown backwards.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
This pops up every now and then.
To appreciate some of the variables associated with momentum of players when passing the ball, I always recommend this simple experiment.
Take the F3 (or your favourite motorway) and maintain a speed of 110kph. Cruise control helps, if you have it.
Exactly as you draw level with the twin servo exit (or some other clear landmark of your choice) throw your old TV, using a backwards motion, out the passenger side window. (You can use the driver side, but not recommended.)
You will see the TV roll (or sometimes shatter) in a clearly forward direction, even though it was thrown backwards.

What you said is true but it does not explain forward passes from dummy half (cameron smith) and thurston when he is running sideways across the field.

Jatz Crackers said:

Is this technology available?

Just need to measure whether the centre of the ball decelerates (backward) or accelerates (forward) towards the opposition tryline when passed. Simple enough in theory.

Maybe there's some practical issues to overcome to make it a reality, but would prefer an objective decision. Would also deal with the problem of referees calling virtually every dropped ball a knock-on.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8