Fox to scrap Saturday night NRL double header

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
FOX Sports want the NRL to abandon the two Saturday night games at 7.30pm on viewer's choice from next year.

Instead the Pay TV network wants the extra game to be played and shown live at either 3pm on Saturdays or at 6pm on Sunday evenings.

The draw is to be released in three days yet, unbelievably, the NRL and the networks are still to finalise and agree on the actual schedule.

Their rivals at the AFL have had their draw out for month.

What we do know is that Fox Sports no longer want two games in the Saturday 7.30 timeslot.

While viewer's choice is available on the red button, they feel the ratings for a 9.30pm replay can be improved by playing another live game.

They see Sunday evenings and Saturday afternoons as the best options.

What we do know is that the NRL will look to reduce afternoon football over the opening three rounds of the of the competition.

The move is to alleviate concerns of players and coaches of the impact of hot autumn temperatures.

Seven of the eight matches will be played in either twilight or evening timeslots to assist in combating the effects of heat stress on the stars.

There is also talk of drinks breaks every 20 minutes.

Whatever happens, Fox Sports is desperate to get rid of the two clashing Saturday night games.

Early in the season they want Sunday night before moving to Saturday afternoons as the weather gets colder.

In the first round of the competition, Souths will play the Roosters at ANZ Stadium on the Thursday evening followed by the Broncos and the Bulldogs on Friday night.

We're hearing Manly will play arch-rivals Melbourne Storm on the Saturday night.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/whats-the-buzz-fox-sports-fights-to-scrap-saturday-night-nrl-double-header-in-2014/story-fni2flhh-1226772205265

please let it go back to saturday 3pm & not sunday at 6pm.

i guess if it happens we will see if the nrl want people at the game(3pm saturday) or ratings on tv(6pm sunday night)

Ryan said:
Awwww...I loved buckling in to a Saturday night of footy and beers.

I'm with you Ryan. I loved 5:30 games on sat at brookie. Afternoon beers go to game then kick on after the game.

This decision looks like a win for we fans. Could the TV networks be listening to us? It would be the first time.

For those who play sport on weekends, the Saturday 5.30 pm game was a shocker. I still love 3 pm on Sunday for Brookie and what gets up my nose is that we get so few despite the Broncos etc getting their favoured Friday night times. Live crowds are important too - Sun 6 pm would be much better than MNF which is a joke!

Great idea the 2 games at 730 Sat was rediculous same as the 2 games on fri night. More Sunday arvo /evening games please and the 3 games on Sat 3.30 530 730 would be awesome..

mickqld said:
Great idea the 2 games at 730 Sat was rediculous same as the 2 games on fri night. More Sunday arvo /evening games please and the 3 games on Sat 3.30 530 730 would be awesome..

Behind you 100% Mick!

The Who said:
This decision looks like a win for we fans. Could the TV networks be listening to us? It would be the first time.

Yeah maybe, but only by the pay tv side of things. Nein will still persist with it's 2 games (1 live and the other edited and riddled with ads) on Friday nights I'm sure. :rolleyes:

for those who need to travel to games at brookie the 3pm sat games sound great but sunday night would be a bit harder to attend(but an improvement on monday night).

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Like the idea of 3:30 5:30 & 7:30 live games
Piss the MNF game off to 6pm Sunday too

The NRL need the Monday BE. How else are they supposed to stitch Manly up with short turnarounds ?

Id like to see 3pm, 5pm 7pm Saturday and Sunday 2 games by 2pm and 3pm get rid of Monday night games, if the nrl listen to foxtel and put a sunday 6pm game I hope the crowds don't show up

I would love to see more games on Saturday afternoons during the winter months. We need to keep night football for the warmer months of March and April and August and September.

I would like to see per round. 1 game on a Friday night and make it fair on every club, so sick of the Friday night Broncos and Rabbits.

a game on Saturday at 3pm, 5pm and 7pm, a Super Sunday, one match kicking off at 1pm, 3pm and 5pm and then a Monday night game.

A rule should be brought out as well , that NO club is forced to play a game with a less than 6 day turn around. The unfairness of the draw over the last few years has given teams like the donkeys a huge leg up.

The Sunday 6pm timeslot is great. Keeps that nice weekend feeling going a bit longer before the upcoming working week blues hit.

NRL need more day games as a spectacle and as a family promotion. Saturday afternnon I love ,but i dislike the sunday night games as much

Its pretty hard with families on a sunday night, generally trying to get back into routine with dinner and sleep times, ready for school etc after the weekend

jbb/james said:
NRL need more day games as a spectacle and as a family promotion. Saturday afternnon I love ,but i dislike the sunday night games as much

Its pretty hard with families on a sunday night, generally trying to get back into routine with dinner and sleep times, ready for school etc after the weekend

Try Phenergan ice cream about 4'ish...works a treat!:blush:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8