From Kid to King

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
King's long wait for the NRL crown

Jason Avedissian MD
08Sep07

WHEN the Sea Eagles were routinely qualifying for the finals during the mid 1990s, Jason King was there watching from the stands at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The all-seated Moore Park venue was where all finals matches were played in those days, ensuring each team a fair crack at premiership glory.

But over a decade on and the semi-finals are played in the suburbs, in King's backyard at Brookvale where he grew up idolising his beloved Sea Eagles.

``When I was growing up I had to go to the SFS, I went to all the games I could,'' he said this week.

``I never thought I'd be playing a semi at Brookie.

``But when I came into league (in 2001), I thought it would be awesome to get a home semi . . . we've never had the chance before.

``We came close last year, but now it's happening and I can't wait. Being a local junior makes it really special.

``We have worked so hard and this is a small step towards our dream.''

Clearly that dream is lifting the NRL title on the evening of September 30 at Telstra Stadium.

King knows it's a few weeks off yet, but he is confident under coach Des Hasler the club has the arsenal to go all the way.

``We've definitely got the fire power to do it,'' he said.

``We've got a few players here who are really high quality and been in the semis before. We've just got to keep playing the way we've played the majority of the year.''

The timing of Brent Kite's injury also gives King the chance to grab the number eight jumper and start up front.

The 26-year-old has played two matches off the bench since returning from a knee injury a fortnight ago.

He is now ready to lead the way against the Rabbitohs in the qualifying final at Brookvale Oval tonight.

``I'm feeling really good, feeling quite refreshed,'' King said.

``It was a little bit frustrating there for a while not playing, but I think it was good to give the body a rest.

``I'm excited about the opportunity and can't wait to start.''

Jason King has never played better than he did in the first half tonight.....Ever..

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jason King has never played better than he did in the first half tonight.....Ever..

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I wholeheartedly agree and intended to start a thread on it. He was incredibly tough and outshone the game's supposed best prop - Asotasi.

Fantastic effort from King who has shed the Princess tag forever.

King take a bow. Mind you Cuthbo was huge as well and today he stood tall and showed he is made of the right stuff. Started in a big game against two outstanding props and did the stuff. Played well in the tight, defended as well as I have ever seen him do so and got away some great balls.

both laid the platform early against better opposition on paper.

both are manly juniors (apparently we have none thought??)

both, and im very suprised at this had big impacts when coming back on later too

Yeah, your all right.

Jason King, last night was unbelievable and i guess it shows why the club have stuck by him.

As CW said.. Cuthbertson was excellent last night too.. he has a big future.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6