From RLW

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
A bit from the mole covering the Menzies rumours

"it's believed he was keen to have a farewell season with Manly, but the club knocked him back. Some Manly sponsors are bitterly disappointed the Sea Eagles didn't come to the party"

Thoughts ? If true, a very hard call to make, but ultimately probably the correct call imo. Another season of him would have been great, but would probably have been at the expense of some young blokes that will serve the club well for many years

Oh man, this topic has been done to death. Hopefully when Beaver finally retires it will be the last we'll hear of it.

For the record I think it was the right call for MWSE to make. It was the best send off than anyone could've gotten & it happened at the right stage of his career to boot. While Beave would've been great to have there in 2009 (in hindsight) his career would've been all downhill from there on, he went out at the top.

The RLW item is actually referring to next year, not 2009. I think they should have given him another year in 2009 but to bring him back after 3 years overseas, at his age, would be a mistake IMO.

No player is greater than the club. Allowing a 39 year old a saloon ride into an NRL team is a tall ask.

I'd sign him for a few bucks. Get the record back ( as he deserves) and fill a hole. Why not? No downsides to this.

DSM5 said:
I'd sign him for a few bucks. Get the record back ( as he deserves) and fill a hole. Why not? No downsides to this.

What if say a 1 year deal meant we lost a player like Buhrer or Tony Williams ?

Let it rest. He went out the way He deserved. Try scoring hero in a GF winning side.

Don't push Your luck, it could end in disaster.

I'd have Beaver back in a heartbeat!
He can still play at NRL standard and could offer great versatility off the bench.
Imagine:
1) coming back to break the record of most games played.
2) the "Beeeaverrrrr" chant resonating at Brookie again.
3) his father figure experience for the younger players & the lift of intensity when he runs on for the rest of the players!

Kiwi Eagle said:
DSM5 said:

What would u say if we didnt lose anyone

Would say we were cheating the cap ;)

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
DSM5 said:

What would u say if we didnt lose anyone

It is possible to look at this through beaver coloured glasses

Look at the struggle players have had in coming back to the NRL post spells in the UK - plus his age would be a factor

Not forgetting (as mentioned elsewhere) the impact on player rentention

Kiwi Eagle said:
DSM5 said:

Why them 2 kiwi theres plenty others harrison mauro & a few others can make way, Rodneys already going..

lsz said:

Look at the struggle players have had in coming back to the NRL post spells in the UK - plus his age would be a factor

Off the bench , i think Menzies would have the bigger impact then a few who have come back over,, Des comeback & won a premiership with us after his stint over in the UK,, The only thing is his age , but he would be a contributor to the team no matter what.. Stewart on one side & Menzies on the other in attack .. i miss that

People need to look past the sentimental value of Beaver, he's done. There's no point wasting a roster spot on a guy who would basically be a coach/guiding influence when that spot could be given to a promising youngster who could contribute to the club further down the line.

He was great back in 2008 but that was three years ago, he wont be the same if he came back now. I really doubt that he would contribute anything that we couldn't get from a younger player that actually fits into the big picture.

jjai said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
DSM5 said:

Why them 2 kiwi theres plenty others harrison mauro & a few others can make way, Rodneys already going..

lsz said:

Off the bench , i think Menzies would have the bigger impact then a few who have come back over,, Des comeback & won a premiership with us after his stint over in the UK,, The only thing is his age , but he would be a contributor to the team no matter what.. Stewart on one side & Menzies on the other in attack .. i miss that

Coz those 2 were off contract and I imagine would attract interest from around the league

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6