Future Manly Captain

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Vyssini

Reserve Grader
I just saw Matt Balin's interview of earlier this evening on Fox Sports News, and once again must offer him my congratulations on the way he handles himself publicly. He truly is a credit to himself, his family and the Mighty Sea Eagles.

If Tooves ever decided to go for a change of captain (and in no way is this a reflection on Killer or Kingy), we could do worse that Matt Balin.

Come to think of it, we are well off for leadership material- other than those mentioned so far, I think Gifty has leadership credentials- I seem to recall him marshalling the troops on grand final day. DCE and then Foz also represent future captaincy material.

Yes he'll be good but I think Foran, although very young, should be given the captaincy. Might sway him to stay. He'll be one of the first million dollar a season player (once the tv rights are settled)

johnzac said:
Yes he'll be good but I think Foran, although very young, should be given the captaincy. Might sway him to stay. He'll be one of the first million dollar a season player (once the tv rights are settled)

If it meant he stayed with us, then so be it. Nevertheless, having watched some of the highlights of our season again over the past few days, I tend to now agree with the view expressed by a few others on here the other day that I would be prioritising DCE over Foz if we had to target only one of the two due to salary cap constraints.

Vyssini said:
johnzac said:

If it meant he stayed with us, then so be it. Nevertheless, having watched some of the highlights of our season again over the past few days, I tend to now agree with the view expressed by a few others on here the other day that I would be prioritising DCE over Foz if we had to target only one of the two due to salary cap constraints.

I couldn't agree more, DCE is absolutely vital to our footy club going forward. Foran is a top shelf player so it would be a blow to lose him but I put him in the "want" but perhaps not "need" category. Some people forget we had Killer at five eight when we won in '08.

On the Captain debate I would stick with Killer/Kingy for the forseeable future. Captaincy of our great footy club should be earnt! (it's not a right)

Choc is maturing...I think we will one day see the "c" beside his name, and not the "c" most other supporters refer too.

Got to be Foran. He is cut from the same cloth as Toovs and IMO would be just as inspirational a leader as his new coach was. Plus it would also be an incentive for him to stay.

Yeah Ballin is a credit to us, himself and is family.

If we had 13 players with Matts heart we'd never get beat.

And captaincy would sit well with him.

I reckon DCE will have to be an option for captain at some stage,perhaps when these 2 captains retire they can be replaced by DCE-Foran

Gee it would be strange having Foran as Manly captain while he plays with the Dogs.

I guess that will work OK twice a year.

Captaincy would be in this order in my opinion

Lyon, Ballin, Foran

You need a player that is on the field for a lot of the game, and who is respected by players of both teams.

Lyon and Ballin both fit that bill as does Foran, but he is probably 2 years of the captaincy in my opinion

bob dylan said:
Gee it would be strange having Foran as Manly captain while he plays with the Dogs.

Sound pretty sure that Forans on his way to dogs mate?

I got a few friends that hear alot of "rumours" and they sound pretty similar. Apperently keating being shopped round but at same time off contract next year, and the thing's ive seen foran say don't sound to much like he is staying.

Got any reason you seem so sure?

Also guys, not here to stir the pot. I enjoy and love me footy but remember its a game and its a club you support nothing any of you do or any dog fan does changes what our clubs do, so please no chilidish crap.

Foran is potentially future captaincy material, but I think he has enough pressure on him playing in a key position at his age and with his level of experience.

I would like to see Ballin as our next captain, with Foran or DCE to follow when Ballin retires.

Forans body will start to really feel the pain in a few years. The way he plays is not helpful to a lasting Rugby League career. While he is still young now, he will be incapable of being effective later in his career.
It is the same as Karmichael Hunt or SBW. I feel they needed a rest from the grind of League. So if Foran is not here in a few years, then that is fine by me as I feel he will take a bit of the cap with injuries.

dogs12 said:
bob dylan said:

I got a few friends that hear alot of "rumours" and they sound pretty similar. Apperently keating being shopped round but at same time off contract next year, and the thing's ive seen foran say don't sound to much like he is staying.

Also guys, not here to stir the pot. I enjoy and love me footy but remember its a game and its a club you support nothing any of you do or any dog fan does changes what our clubs do, so please no chilidish crap.
lol, you probably had a heart attack when you saw that comment and signed up straight away to question him about it.

Ceagle said:
dogs12 said:
bob dylan said:

lol, you probably had a heart attack when you saw that comment and signed up straight away to question him about it.

Not really mate, i like Foran and think he will complete the dogs squad. In saying that, i'm not surprised to hear he will follow Des, when it all came out i expected 1-2 manly players would follow Des. Pretty common now days with a quality coach to have 1-2 players follow him. Dogs are clearing cap with Millington and few others going past week and shredded alot of average players along with losing 2 big names in Idris and Ryan. Added little bar Graham and some kids.

I'd like to see him but its pretty clear Maloney will be heading back to Sydney too so if he didnt im sure we could have a did at him, in saying that Des seems to make halves better so you never know whats in the back of his head.

I just thought i'd join up as i been looking here now and then, you lot seem to know about what happens at manly pretty quick so i thought i'd ask.

Anyone with any imput?

dogs12 said:
bob dylan said:

It was said in jest.

Whats no so funny is Hodkinson will be a Rooster in 2014, you can bet on that.

bob dylan said:
dogs12 said:
bob dylan said:

It was said in jest.

Whats no so funny is Hodkinson will be a Rooster in 2014, you can bet on that.

Lol, doubt that. Hodkinson will stay i reckon especially with Des. Plus roosters have pearce.

Daniel said:
Captaincy would be in this order in my opinion

Lyon, Ballin, Foran

You need a player that is on the field for a lot of the game, and who is respected by players of both teams.

Lyon and Ballin both fit that bill as does Foran, but he is probably 2 years of the captaincy in my opinion

I think Gifty should be included in any discussion on future captains- he really stepped up this year in terms of "on field leadership", and has always presented himself in a professional manner off the field. Another credible alternative whenever Killer decides to give it up.

Either way, the fact that we have a number of leadership options shows the quality, both in footballing ability, but also as decent human beings, of the players that we have. I for one am proud to be a Sea Eagle!!!

I rekon the way Choc has stepped up at the back end of the season and since the Desgate saga, he deserves a shot at the captaincy.

I know it will never happen, but I can see parallels with Gallen and Choc. I could see Choc lifting to another level as Gallen has since taking over captaincy at the Sharks.

I for one would love to see it tho. Choc rocks!

dogs12 said:
Lol, doubt that. Hodkinson will stay i reckon especially with Des. Plus roosters have pearce.

I take it you are not aware of Pearce's movements in 2014 either, north bound.

Remember where you heard it first.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4