Gallop must go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
*Baz, stop reading here as you may find this upsetting

Gallop should walk after Storm slur
Phil Gould
September 18, 2011

David Gallop should resign. His disgraceful comments directed at the Melbourne Storm fans last week comparing them to terrorists should be the last straw. Not to mention the insensitivity of the timing of this remark on an even larger scale.

I cannot tell you how many calls and messages I have received expressing their disgust at his misguided and emotional outburst. Gallop's deplorable retort is typical of the over-sensitive, highly reactionary management culture he brings to the NRL. He cannot deal with criticism or anything that remotely infers he is not doing a great job. The constant stream of self-promotion and the seconding of Gallop-friendly journalists to push his status or cover for his mistakes are now so obvious to everyone. It's getting very boring.

It's obvious there is no one with the authority or courage in the NRL to sack Gallop. It is also obvious Gallop lives under a blanket of protection from his friends at News Ltd, which also owns the game of rugby league. Had it been any other prominent person in the country who had made such an embarrassing statement, you can only imagine how they would have been slammed by that section of the media until action was taken to remove them from their important position of office.
Advertisement: Story continues below

No one else in the game is going to speak out against Gallop and demand his sacking because they know they too would be vilified for daring to criticise their man.

This is the environment that has existed under Gallop's leadership of the NRL and News Ltd's ownership of the game. If you dare to speak out against their authority you will be publicly slammed so that you get the message to sit down and shut up. Other NRL club chief executives tell me they also fear backlashes against their clubs in other ways if they don't toe the party line.

I can speak from my own experience in this regard, not to mention the pressure on my employers to shut up. Still, I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

I seriously doubt Gallop would win an election among the 16 NRL clubs to get the role of chief executive under the new independent commission if this was put to a vote.

The Storm fans were entitled to voice their protest. They didn't throw any objects. They didn't threaten him with physical attack. It was simply boos and jeers.

The last time I looked Australia was a democracy. They were well within their rights.

Of course, the major point of all of this is that the real truth about the whole Melbourne Storm salary cap story is yet to be told. Gallop keeps saying he is comfortable with the decisions he made and the penalties handed down. Of course, these and other matters concerning the Storm breaches were never tested under oath in court. The full story is guaranteed to emerge one day; of this you can be guaranteed.

In the meantime though, our game deserves new leadership. I speak with other NRL club officials, government officials, venue managers, major sponsors and trading partners and they are always comparing the negotiations they have with the NRL to those dealings they enjoy with other sporting codes. To say our game is off the pace would be an understatement. Mind you, none of this will ever be written while a media company owns the game and controls how our history is being recorded.

There are a lot of great people working in the NRL and ARL departments and many do an outstanding job. However, it's the game's leadership and unworkable ownership that lets them down. Hopefully this will change soon

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/gallop-should-walk-after-storm-slur-20110917-1kezk.html#ixzz1YGEO0UMl

Good on him, he may say some weird stuff sometimes but at least he tells it like it is.

Gould is on the other side of the fence in relation to the media struggle to control the game. While ever News control the game the goose will be safe. If you saw how he embraced the ponie players last night just another example that he, the ponies and harrigan are all on the same pay roll. Again last night the ponies are looked after by the refs.

Quote (Gould) : "Still, I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees."

I've been wondering, as Gallop's nightmare of a Manly/Melbourne grand final inches inexorably closer (no idea what 'inexorably' means but thought I'd chuck it in) ...

Does anyone know that attitude of Glen and Brett (for example) to the prospect of publicly shaking Gallop's hand? This is a public ritual and Gallop is really only there as a symbolic rep of the game, which means decorum should be maintained, nonetheless ... I wonder ...

I assume it is a question that will be raised within the team management in the event (I mean, 'when') we win on Friday.

I don't like the guy that much and found it funny when the teams he emphatically supported for the GF were knocked out this weekend. However, what he says in this article is something that a lot of fans have been thinking, including myself.

There was an article from Ricky Stuart wondering why Arko had respect but Gallop didn't. Its pretty simple: respect is earned and Gallop will never get that respect because he is seen as a News Corp stooge. It's made even worse when News Corp have ordered the IC to have him as CEO for the next 3 years before they will leave the game.

I believe Gallop should have gone in front of the clubs and the IC, stated his case then allowed it to go to a vote. If he had been doing a good job he wouldn't need this assurance and the clubs would have elected him as the CEO. However, News Corp know he'd lose the job at a vote and that shows that there is no respect there for him from the clubs.

We need a leader that has the respect of his bosses. Until then the NRL will remain inferior to the AFL. Demetriou is well respected because he earned that respect. He didn't plead for it or ask for it. It's time Gallop learned a thing or two from him.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Quote (Gould) : "Still, I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees."

I've been wondering, as Gallop's nightmare of a Manly/Melbourne grand final inches inexorably closer (no idea what 'inexorably' means but thought I'd chuck it in) ...

Does anyone know that attitude of Glen and Brett (for example) to the prospect of publicly shaking Gallop's hand? This is a public ritual and Gallop is really only there as a symbolic rep of the game, which means decorum should be maintained, nonetheless ... I wonder ...

I assume it is a question that will be raised within the team management in the event (I mean, 'when') we win on Friday.

I believe they should. Don't have to say anything, or smile, just shake his hand and be done with it. Not doing so will probably cop us another fine.

He should resign leading up to grand final week.

Shaking the winners and losers hands on grand final day should be his last act as an official of rugby league. I think our players would welcome shaking his hand, knowing that he will disappear from the scene moments later.

No apology was acknowledged or given, so he should rack off and never come back!

Tar and feathering during the post match celebration is not encouraged, however "the goose step" whilst running up the podium to accept medals is something I would like to see. Plus, the whole team giving David the royal bird during the team trophy photo.

They should just golly their hand before it is offered to Gallop to shake.

bazeagle said:
Gus has had an agenda for years. Gallop is fine.

I'm happy with anyone having an opinion, but why do you think he is fine? I just don't get Gallop or his personality and leadership skills giving us the package required to drive our game forward. He is almost always surly. My vote is to dump him.

Cmon Baz, you are a Gallop supporter, yet everytime someone asks you to put a case forward in the positive for him, you have absolutely zero to offer, apart from name calling, on what the good he is bringing to the game of Rugby League is ?

Kiwi Eagle said:
Cmon Baz, you are a Gallop supporter, yet everytime someone asks you to put a case forward in the positive for him, you have absolutely zero to offer, apart from name calling, on what the good he is bringing to the game of Rugby League is ?
I reckon he does a pretty fair job. From a simple fans point of view, the game is amazingly entertaining. It's riveting being a fan. He has managed to help bring about record crowds & record TV viewing numbers. And that has been achieved in a climate of old school chips on shoulders by certain media and club personnel, stupid vendettas and factional political agendas. It's almost impossible to win in that climate. Yes he's made mistakes. Everyone on this forum makes those at work. Or is he the only one? Come on. It's time to move on. And enjoy the greatest game. Rugby League.

That is better, some reasoning behind it

The point of the record crowds and viewing numbers are exactly the reason a lot of people are unimpressed with his work, because the product is great, but we aren't getting value for money from the TV deals he has negotiated, and he allows Channel 9 to provide poor coverage at times without putting any pressure on to change things

With what the game should be getting financially, no club should be struggling

I personally don't think he has the skills at handling various situations that is required. I thought his decision with the Storm last year was spot on, but the way he has handled things post that has been poor

Baz feel free to take up a collection for him, my mail is he is about to be dropped by those who stuck him in power in the first place.

Oh yeah and another thing. Slamming Gallop smacks of the tall poppy problem that plagues this country. He's ok. Like I say, he's not done everything right. And I believe he would be the first to say that. Like I said in another post: Leave Gallop Alone. We've got a comp to win.

Cambo said:
The Eagle said:
bazeagle said:
Gus has had an agenda for years. Gallop is fine.

Obvious Bronco fan,you love news limited and their merkinry
Merkinry lol !!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant

* one more tirade at an individual like this and it is bye-bye Eagle time *

We were almost killed by the merkinry of David Gallop and
his company news limited,i wonder what BazEagle would think
of that? Manly dead would surely be a cause for celebration
for this trolling merkinry member

On a more intellegent note i still believe Gallop would love us to
be dead,we basically funded the ARL during the superleague war
double what most other ARL clubs did,this joker needs to be snuffed
out of his current post