Game Plan, Round 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fluffy

Journey Man
Well having had time to digest the left field team picked yesterday I have come to the conclusion that Barrett is going to try and run the dogs ragged.

We have probably the smallest pack (including bench) that I can recall us fielding for a long time and having Api, Parcell, Leary, Brown and Green there and only 3 props, 2 very mobile, can only mean we area going for speed and exploitation of the reduced interchange early in the season.

Mateo is another one who isn't the quickest backrower but does create a lot of second phase play as does Taupau. Lussick is the only traditional prop in the team (both Myles and Jake could easily play backrow)

3 question I have:

1. Will this approach work?
2. Is this a one strategy fits all or are we likely to see the side picked based on the opposition
3. Are we starting fitter than other teams but will run out of legs later in the season?

Well having had time to digest the left field team picked yesterday I have come to the conclusion that Barrett is going to try and run the dogs ragged.

We have probably the smallest pack (including bench) that I can recall us fielding for a long time and having Api, Parcell, Leary, Brown and Green there and only 3 props, 2 very mobile, can only mean we area going for speed and exploitation of the reduced interchange early in the season.

Mateo is another one who isn't the quickest backrower but does create a lot of second phase play as does Taupau. Lussick is the only traditional prop in the team (both Myles and Jake could easily play backrow)

3 question I have:

1. Will this approach work?
2. Is this a one strategy fits all or are we likely to see the side picked based on the opposition
3. Are we starting fitter than other teams but will run out of legs later in the season?
I suspect it won't work and that we will get our backsides handed to us. The interchanges have only dropped by 2. Des is banking on the entire backline playing 80 and then interchanging their 6 named props to keep them big and fresh. Our pack will get steamrolled in my opinion.

Smallest pack in a long time?

Last years pack was roughly

Jake
Ballin
Starling
Symonds
Mateo
Lui

Leary
Sene Lefao
Sao
Hasson

Now forget the hookers as size is not a requirement there but in Lussick, Taupau, Mateo, Jake and Myles for mine we have a bigger pack

Des always loved having a 75 minute bench warmer in his side, so realistically he has been preparing for a reduction in interchange numbers for years now.

I don't think the drop from 10 to 8 is going to have a big effect to be honest, on any side really, much less the dogs. It's more media hype. It probably averages out to an extra 5 minutes a forward over the course of a game.

There's gonna be a lot of pressure on jake, Myles and tapow to get us going forward. I think we will struggle when their off the field. Darcy and vave if he plays are going to have to step up for us.

Confident we will score enough points to win but our defence needs to be much better than last year.

I think that we will play an uptempo type of game far less structured than in previous years.

If our forwards hold the dogs pack then our backs wll carve up.

Anyone sneaking out to brookie to spy on the captains run be keen to know if snake trains.

Expect Myles , Kapow, Lussick to match muscle in the middle with Green, Brown to attack the edges with Jake -who is more skillful than given credit for adding go forward & sweeping 2nd man plays from the edge.
A good kicking game should ensure their forward are moved around & regardless how fit they are being talked up in 2016 - will struggle to contain Parcell after 25 minutes first game up.
DCE will do exactly what Barrett wants in an open slather attacking role both sides of the ruck at speed, especially on the back of what has been lacking recently - forwards that bend the line.
Expect Walker to play a more supportive style game & leave DCE the organising & look forward to see him if theres 2nd phase & offload opportunities to use that blinding acceleration & sidestep.
tom T will float around & cash in on any half opportunity & expect the outside backs to get better service & get 1 on 1 with their opposite number after winning the ruck area - again off the new go forward.
Can't wait - bring it!!

Smallest pack in a long time?

Last years pack was roughly

Jake
Ballin
Starling
Symonds
Mateo
Lui

Leary
Sene Lefao
Sao
Hasson

Now forget the hookers as size is not a requirement there but in Lussick, Taupau, Mateo, Jake and Myles for mine we have a bigger pack

Roughly but you forgot Mason

and that is only close to it driven by injuries not coach + tactics which was the point

Long time reader of forum thought it was time to join. Don't want to come of negative but I'm concerned with the team we have picked. Last year our pack was constantly steam rolled and I believed we had rectified that until I saw our second rowers. Green is an unknown and Brown is a great utility but I don't see him as a starting second rower (especially against the dogs pack).
I believe we can only carry leary or brown in the 17 not both. We are also going into the game with two starters in the pack with no trial minutes (brown and api).
Against the dogs I would have started Lawrence as prop and had Jake as a second rower alongside Mateo as if we don't break even up front our great backline will have no space to move.

Expect Myles , Kapow, Lussick to match muscle in the middle with Green, Brown to attack the edges with Jake -who is more skillful than given credit for adding go forward & sweeping 2nd man plays from the edge.
A good kicking game should ensure their forward are moved around & regardless how fit they are being talked up in 2016 - will struggle to contain Parcell after 25 minutes first game up.
DCE will do exactly what Barrett wants in an open slather attacking role both sides of the ruck at speed, especially on the back of what has been lacking recently - forwards that bend the line.
Expect Walker to play a more supportive style game & leave DCE the organising & look forward to see him if theres 2nd phase & offload opportunities to use that blinding acceleration & sidestep.
tom T will float around & cash in on any half opportunity & expect the outside backs to get better service & get 1 on 1 with their opposite number after winning the ruck area - again off the new go forward.
Can't wait - bring it!!

Seems to be the plan but it only works if the dogs get tired. If not they will win the ruck and from a set defense contain us easier. DCE is the main kicker and they will target him so don't expect him to have a great kicking game. Hopefully Walker and Lyon can chip in nicely.

I am not saying it wont work but we need to play very up tempo to achieve it.

We need our forwards to get on the front foot to unleash our key weapon - the backline.
The dogs need their backline to perform to cash in on their key weapon - the forwards.

Interesting game on all levels. Defense will win it no doubt, i just hope its ours.

Long time reader of forum thought it was time to join. Don't want to come of negative but I'm concerned with the team we have picked. Last year our pack was constantly steam rolled and I believed we had rectified that until I saw our second rowers. Green is an unknown and Brown is a great utility but I don't see him as a starting second rower (especially against the dogs pack).
I believe we can only carry leary or brown in the 17 not both. We are also going into the game with two starters in the pack with no trial minutes (brown and api).
Against the dogs I would have started Lawrence as prop and had Jake as a second rower alongside Mateo as if we don't break even up front our great backline will have no space to move.

Lots of newbies, again welcome aboard!!

Welcome mate though I think you are confused on Brown.

He is a back rower who has filled in at a pinch at hooker and in the centres

A representative back rower at that who cleary took with him from the Warriors then Barrett from the Panthers

He is clearly valued by those that matter

It's funny we are all " armchair experts" when it comes to picking who should ( and shouldn't ) play.

Whilst our coach is in nappies as such Cartwright and Seibold are far from junior coaches and I expect the side has been picked on trial and training form.

For one I'm happy with the choices, and if it doesn't work then change it next week.

I've said quite a number of times I don't expect instant success, if we get it great, if we don't it's no big deal.

This is almost like a brand new side they WILL take time to gel.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7