Geoff Toovey’s Manly Sea Eagle career as player and coach will end on Sunday

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

tookey

First Grader
671612-e0578d72-5220-11e5-b4b9-6e09adcdd8b2.jpg

Geoff Toovey with the Manly Sea Eagles ahead of the 2013 grand final.

GEOFF Toovey was mistaken for a ball boy when he made his debut for Manly in 1988.

Sure, he was always the smallest — a 168cm, 70kg halfback with blonde hair.

But he was always, always, the toughest.

Through 238 games as a player, 104 matches as a coach and countless training sessions, Toovey never gave an inch.

But no more.

Barring a miracle, the Geoff Toovey era will end at 6pm on Sunday after the Sea Eagles play Cronulla at Remondis Stadium.

He may be leaving, but Toovey will never be forgotten at Manly.

“He is one of the greatest Manly players of all time,” fellow Seas Eagles great Steve Menzies said.

“Tooves is one of the toughest players ever — not just at Manly but ever.

“That is something that will stand out for me.

“He’s not the biggest player but he would take on the big guys.

“Tooves was old-school — he could get knocked around but get back up again. His leadership qualities as a player and coach have been inspirational.”

Toovey won the Clive Churchill Medal after Manly’s 1996 grand final win over St George and played in two other losing grand finals.

671720-ebfec834-5220-11e5-b4b9-6e09adcdd8b2.jpg

As a player, Toovey was one of the toughest ever and won a premiership with Manly in 1996.

“Geoff Toovey is one of the most highly decorated players ever to represent Manly,” said Manly godfather Ken Arthurson. “And he is one of the most highly regarded.

“People that know me know how much I put in loyalty and there has been no more loyal bloke than Geoff Toovey.

“He has been magnificent for Manly and I hope he stays involved in the club in some form or another.

“I was one of the judges to pick the 12 toughest men to ever play rugby league. I certainly voted for Geoff, as did most of the others and he was included. For a bloke of his stature, he was so tough.”
Whether with the ball or in attack, Toovey could be devastating.

Toovey may stay involved at the club but it is more likely there will be a clean break.

He may pop up at another club. But his Manly legacy with forever live.

“He is no doubt one of the toughest players to ever play rugby league,” said former Manly teammate David Gillespie.

“Tooves was small in stature but had a huge heart.

“He just kept bouncing. I saw him cop some terrible punishment on a footy field but nothing ever stopped him.

“He was one of a kind. I am often asked who were the toughest players I played alongside and I always give the same answer — Geoff Toovey and Terry Lamb, two of the smallest blokes to ever play the game.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ll-end-on-sunday/story-fni3gnk1-1227511671307

Not many tougher blokes than Tooves. That wasn't the only string to his bow though, also a very skilful player.

One of Manly's finest ever, who deserved better treatment. I hope the team dig a bit deeper for him than they did last Friday.

Sad Sad day for our club and I really hope the boys put in an effort for him.

BUT

Tonight's result sadly will see the sharks extremely motivated and I see them putting a score on us sadly. Sharks by 24+ for me.

They couldn't be motivated enough to turn up with our season on line at home against 2 rivals what chances of them showing up this week!!

If they turn up and not have a go for this bloke on Sunday I'll be embarrassed to follow manly . I never thought I would say this . I just feel for the little guy with a massive ticker so you would hope they follow suit and show some heart . Come on.

I disagree that his association with us is ending. He'll still be part of the fabric of the place, just like beaver is !

671612-e0578d72-5220-11e5-b4b9-6e09adcdd8b2.jpg

Geoff Toovey with the Manly Sea Eagles ahead of the 2013 grand final.

GEOFF Toovey was mistaken for a ball boy when he made his debut for Manly in 1988.

Sure, he was always the smallest — a 168cm, 70kg halfback with blonde hair.

But he was always, always, the toughest.

Through 238 games as a player, 104 matches as a coach and countless training sessions, Toovey never gave an inch.

But no more.

Barring a miracle, the Geoff Toovey era will end at 6pm on Sunday after the Sea Eagles play Cronulla at Remondis Stadium.

He may be leaving, but Toovey will never be forgotten at Manly.

“He is one of the greatest Manly players of all time,” fellow Seas Eagles great Steve Menzies said.

“Tooves is one of the toughest players ever — not just at Manly but ever.

“That is something that will stand out for me.

“He’s not the biggest player but he would take on the big guys.

“Tooves was old-school — he could get knocked around but get back up again. His leadership qualities as a player and coach have been inspirational.”

Toovey won the Clive Churchill Medal after Manly’s 1996 grand final win over St George and played in two other losing grand finals.

671720-ebfec834-5220-11e5-b4b9-6e09adcdd8b2.jpg

As a player, Toovey was one of the toughest ever and won a premiership with Manly in 1996.

“Geoff Toovey is one of the most highly decorated players ever to represent Manly,” said Manly godfather Ken Arthurson. “And he is one of the most highly regarded.

“People that know me know how much I put in loyalty and there has been no more loyal bloke than Geoff Toovey.

“He has been magnificent for Manly and I hope he stays involved in the club in some form or another.

“I was one of the judges to pick the 12 toughest men to ever play rugby league. I certainly voted for Geoff, as did most of the others and he was included. For a bloke of his stature, he was so tough.”
Whether with the ball or in attack, Toovey could be devastating.

Toovey may stay involved at the club but it is more likely there will be a clean break.

He may pop up at another club. But his Manly legacy with forever live.

“He is no doubt one of the toughest players to ever play rugby league,” said former Manly teammate David Gillespie.

“Tooves was small in stature but had a huge heart.

“He just kept bouncing. I saw him cop some terrible punishment on a footy field but nothing ever stopped him.

“He was one of a kind. I am often asked who were the toughest players I played alongside and I always give the same answer — Geoff Toovey and Terry Lamb, two of the smallest blokes to ever play the game.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ll-end-on-sunday/story-fni3gnk1-1227511671307

Amazing - over the last week Dean Ritchie has written two positive articles on Tooves - does he feel bad for all the back stabbing he has done over the last few years? I'm also waiting and curious to see the Geoff Toovey tribute on their facebook and their website. Still nothing on their mentioning that this is Geoff's last game. I have unliked them on facebook.

How did Foran cause this?
Foran doesn't like Toovey because of the Glen Stewart issue. He also took Toovey to task for not agreeing to release Matai to the warriors last year.

With the exception of a few games in the past month Foran has looked totally disinterested on the field and his love for Arthur is a direct slap in the face for Toovey

Foran has been deceptive and dishonest about his dealings with Manly as he knew that he was going to Parramatta as far back as July 2014 yet tried to pretend that he will still deciding whether to stay or not up until a month ago just to shaft Manly a bit more. Total lies and treated Manly like crap

I saw the way that he acted at the season launch when it was obvious that he didn't want to be there with manly

Last edited:
Foran doesn't like Toovey because of the Glen Stewart issue. He also took Toovey to task for not agreeing to release Matai to the warriors last year.

With the exception of a few games in the past month Foran has looked totally disinterested on the field and his love for Arthur is a direct slap in the face for Toovey

Foran has been deceptive and dishonest about his dealings with Manly as he knew that he was going to Parramatta as far back as July 2014 yet tried to pretend that he will still deciding whether to stay or not up until a month ago just to shaft Manly a bit more. Total lies and treated Manly like crap

I saw the way that he acted at the season launch when it was obvious that he didn't want to be there with manly

His disillusionment with the club was just that - with the club. He has played his heart out as have most of the players. He has always acted with respect and loyalty. To say that he has been deceptive and dishonest is a joke - in fact he has acted with honour - perhaps some of the people running the joint could take note. He may have been disinterested at the season launch - could it have been what Joe Kelly stated publically at that launch that was said in private? Could it have been that there was the startings of all things spiralling out of control for the club. Did you take note of the other players at the season launch??? Did they have happy faces?

His disillusionment with the club was just that - with the club. He has played his heart out as have most of the players. He has always acted with respect and loyalty. To say that he has been deceptive and dishonest is a joke - in fact he has acted with honour - perhaps some of the people running the joint could take note. He may have been disinterested at the season launch - could it have been what Joe Kelly stated publically at that launch that was said in private? Could it have been that there was the startings of all things spiralling out of control for the club. Did you take note of the other players at the season launch??? Did they have happy faces?

Then we saw vastly different players my friend. Foran overall has been dreadful over the past 18 months. I hope for Parra's sake, they get the Foran over the past 4-6 weeks, and the one that turned out for NZ. Actually, strike that, no I don't.

You remember Foran publicly declaring in the media he wanted a clearing of the air meeting with Toovey? How disrespectful. Do you remember Foran as quoted as saying that some mornings, he awoke to say he doesn't want to be here, when almost signing with The Dogs at last contract negotiation?

Did you see Foran's missus write the words "Karma" on social media the day Foran officially (apparently) signed with Parramatta.

You see those Q&A's where people put it to him, about bragging of signing in Parramatta long before he announced it, and he was all very quiet on that situation.

He is a cancer to our club. You don't want players that don't want to be there around. I'm glad we are free of him. Same goes for Watmough - because he was shedding a negative light, but that was different - he was negative a twisted because he wanted to be here, and was being let go.

I just hope there are no politics in Parra. I hope he gets everything he wants, otherwise, he'll play and act accordingly like a spoiled little brat.

Good riddance to him.

Is that you Mrs Foran?

Then we saw vastly different players my friend. Foran overall has been dreadful over the past 18 months. I hope for Parra's sake, they get the Foran over the past 4-6 weeks, and the one that turned out for NZ. Actually, strike that, no I don't.

You remember Foran publicly declaring in the media he wanted a clearing of the air meeting with Toovey? How disrespectful. Do you remember Foran as quoted as saying that some mornings, he awoke to say he doesn't want to be here, when almost signing with The Dogs at last contract negotiation?

Did you see Foran's missus write the words "Karma" on social media the day Foran officially (apparently) signed with Parramatta.

You see those Q&A's where people put it to him, about bragging of signing in Parramatta long before he announced it, and he was all very quiet on that situation.

He is a cancer to our club. You don't want players that don't want to be there around. I'm glad we are free of him. Same goes for Watmough - because he was shedding a negative light, but that was different - he was negative a twisted because he wanted to be here, and was being let go.

I just hope there are no politics in Parra. I hope he gets everything he wants, otherwise, he'll play and act accordingly like a spoiled little brat.

Good riddance to him.
but what do you really think?@:)

Played his heart out? You have to be joking.

If you think that he has played the last 12 months like he did the previous 12 months then you obviously haven't watched him play because his standard has dropped dramatically except for a few games recently (and coincidently when it was announced that Toovey would not be coach next year)

He spoke in a public place in July last year saying that he was going to parramatta and the parra forum openly stated (by posters who are connected to the club) in January this year that Foran had spoken to Arthur and confirmed that he had accepted parra's offer.

Friom the 20th of January this year everything Foran has spoken in the media about not being able to make up his mind whether to stay or go to parra has been total and utter crap. He was always going and he lied and was deceptive towards both the club, the coach and the fans by not announcing on 20 January this year that he was going to parramatta.

You have obviously fallen for the crap in zorba's article about Foran retaining his intergrity and dignity.

He has shafted the club and fans and his exit has been carefully crafted by a schemer to give the perception to some fans that he has always acted honestly while letting Cherry Evan cop all the crap about backfliiping

And yes all of the other players looked happy about being at the season launch and Foran was the only one I saw trying to hide in the team photo and look genuinely disinterested in being there

Still devastated that he won't be our coach. I'm finding it hard to get excited about next season. Unless.........

TB loses the first 6 games next season. He is sacked and they are forced to reinstate Tooves as coach. We go on to win the premiership. Now that's a movie I'd watch.

Not many tougher blokes than Tooves. That wasn't the only string to his bow though, also a very skilful player.
One of Manly's finest ever, who deserved better treatment. I hope the team dig a bit deeper for him than they did last Friday.
you're going to be missed Tooves, thanks for the blood, sweat, and passion you gave for the team and the way you inspired us you have given us over such a long and wonderful career, the joint won't seem the same without you.
I disagree that his association with us is ending. He'll still be part of the fabric of the place, just like beaver is !

Good riddance to him.
Speaking of karma I hope that's exactly what he and the Dalai get next year, they've done everything in their power to disrupt our chances of success this year, personally I'll be delighted to see the back of him, like all Manly supporters I only want a team of players who want to play in the maroon and white not overrated hacks who turn up when they're in the mood, that's my opinion.

G'day all, Whilst he's an easy target because he's leaving lets not sheet all the blame for Tooves demise on Foran.He was most ably assisted by both Watmough and Brett Stewart.The final indignity and rubbing Tooves nose in it was announcing Bretts contract extension on the day of Tooves last home game.
cheers mike

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8