Geoff Toovey Appreciation Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Eagle

First Grader
Now as far as i know,this tiny chap was retired by the time Silvertails.net got made

So i think its about time we step back and appreciate all he has done and continues to do for this club

As a kid growing up i always dreamed of being a 7 after watching this little dude run around,problem was i had no balls skills nor kicking ability,so a 10 was put on my back and off i went,eventually after a lot of hard work and practice,i got his number for 3 games in total.....U/6s and it took me till C Grade to get a run there only to eventually get back to 13 swiftly

Every NRL fan when thinking of Manly loyalty always goes to thoughts of Beaver,as he has played the most games for us and stuck with us through our near death experience,but nobody ever brings this bloke up! Why? Personally i dont know,Beaver may have been forced out of the club but Toovey NEVER played for another team in either the NSWRL,ARL nor NRL

He never played ESL for bucks,his blood was purely Maroon and White and would not play for anyone else,he played a GF with a broken eye socket,something even the so called tough QLDER Lockyer wouldnt do

And now after the DESfection he has been given the title of Head Coach and things are a little different,contrary to what he said would happen,passes go wide more often but due to lack of combinations this hasn't YET paid off,One poster in particular said our defense has been poor but after tonight he'll be eating a lot of words,as with the comebacks of the Stewwies it tightened up A LOT almost instantly,sure broken play was still a sore point but we'd have cracked a million times in front of the line where the refs and our poor handling at times left us

One thing ive noticed most is OFF-FIELD,we're more media accessible which quiet frankly makes me smile,i loved the idea of us against them,but not to the point that Des took it to which was under an iron curtain which in todays markets,isnt really a way to get us the funding we need

He has transformed Rose into the powerhouse we all knew he was,how you might ask incase you havent watched? By dropping his ass to NSW cup till he showed nothing was worth more than his FG spot,he kicks players out of top grade who don't perform

Oldfield cant catch? NSW CUP FOR YOU!!! George has ****ty beep tests,NO FG FOR YOU!!!

Toovey's favourites are those who put the maroon and white on and bleed it out when they get cut,his loyalty is to good results for our club,unlike a certain old coach who refused to the point of stupidity to drop under-performing players the ilk of Scott Donald and the now forgotten winger Tony Williams

Des would never have dropped Oldfield,but after poor showings Tooves wasnt afraid to cut him and our culture is transforming as we speak to the fabled style of culture which is the entire club fighting for spots on the field ready and willing to put their bodies on the line and push themselves to the limit for the betterment of the team

Toovey is the embodyment of the Manly Warringah club,toughest to ever play,flare and unrivalled defense (Positionally speaking)

Once again,The bulldogs pay overs to get the scrub (Aka Hodkinson to our Cherry-Evans)

It gives the lower grade players incentive knowing that if they perform they are a chance to crack first grade and conversely keeps the players in the top grade on their toes knowing the coach will drop them if they get lazy. I'm also enjoying Tooves bugger the radar policy.

That was an important win for Toovey, for sure. His selection of George was a master stroke, in hindsight.

Before a ball was kicked everyone knew it would be a horror start to the season. Key injuries and suspensions only added to the difficulties.

4-4 and sitting in the 8 means he has succesfully come through that period. He has already shown enough to suggest things will only get better.

2V 1 (without Foran and TRex) Hasler 0.
2V was a better player a tougher player and he will be a better coach than Hasler .

Don't get me wrong I have always admired Tooves but he does have almost the same team that won the Premiership & Des is stuck with a team that didn't make the 8.

Not quite. Yes he has most of the same players but each year really is a new team. As is the case with any individual player, the performance of the whole team can be better or worse than at the same stage last year. There have been a lot of good signs for our team so far, which doesn't mean we'll automatically make Top 4/win grand final etc, but these signs all auger well for Toovey's success as our coach.

In addition, in some ways it may even be easier to motivate a group that has underperformed, at least in the short term, than it is to keep our champions focussed on the job at hand.

We must be more media accessible and friendly, it's the best way to attract sponsorhip $'s, etc. Already 2V is better with the media than Des, as you say. Geez, just looking at the Stewart pass again to Killer - how many backrowers could do that?? Not many.

Crusher, this is the Toovey appreciation thread, not the Gift one (but yes, without that amazing pass we lose the game) :)

Talking with Tooves at the function, his water bottle reaction was aimed squarly at a loud mouth Broncos supporter who had been verbally abusing the coach the whole game.

He really takes aim at that Donkey supporter if what was said by Toovey was true. I say, good on him. Most coaches have to put up with a lot of crap from opposition supporters who are on the other side of the glass. Geoff was so thrilled at the win he seemed to keep his emotions at bay to a relieved smile, and instead of jumping up and down in jubilation, which maybe he should of, he was distracted by the attention of a donkey clown... and then the emotion (all bottled up) poured out. I loved the video clip. It is Geoff Toovey all over.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6