Geoff Toovey says ‘thank you’ in passionate letter to Manly fans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Geoff Toovey says ‘thank you’ in passionate letter to Manly fans
  • JON GEDDES
  • MANLY DAILY
  • SEPTEMBER 11, 2015 4:26PM
092792-fc2c240a-5823-11e5-92cc-08b6ad417510.jpg

Coach Geoff Toovey has written a letter to Sea Eagles fans and the northern beaches community. Picture: Toby Zerna.

GEOFF Toovey has delivered a passionate message to all Manly fans and the northern beaches community as he departs from his position as first grade coach.

Despite the difficulties he has been through, Toovey took the time out to pen a thank you letter for all the support he has received over the past 28 years as both a player and coach at the Sea Eagles where he has become a club icon.

To all the Manly fans and the Northern Beaches community,

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support, particularly over the last four years where I have been fortunate enough to coach the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Rugby League team but also for the years of support when I was playing at the club.

From my debut in 1988 to my final game last Sunday, I am continually amazed by the spirit shown from the people on the Northern Beaches and beyond. For those that turn out every week with their personalised signs, those who can only cheer from their lounge rooms, and those who listen to the radio or read about the outcome in the paper the next day, you are the reason why the game and I are so privileged.

Over the past year particularly, I’ve been overwhelmed by the support not only for myself but for the cultural significance the Manly team embellishes along the Peninsula. People who I have not had the pleasure of knowing personally have approached me on the street and commented on social media, wishing me all the best in my career beyond Manly. I have been taken aback by their gestures and realised it is I who should be thanking them.

Sport plays such a significant role in bonding our community together, whether that be rugby league, union, football, netball, amateur, professional or purely as a spectator. Sport has given me so much over many decades, no matter if it was playing for the Belrose Eagles or coaching the local primary school team, it has provided me with a sense of identity and belonging in this great area.

Whilst I am unsure of what the future will bring for myself, I know I have been blessed to not only have been brought up in this area but to have a great sense of friendship, responsibility and commitment to the people within it.

Thank you for everything.

“I wanted to convey my feelings about how the peninsula has looked after me for many, many years,” Toovey explained.

GEOFF TOOVEY IS GOING OUT ON THE FRONT FOOT

“I appreciate the support not only from the rugby league fans but also the general community who have got behind me.’

Toovey said that has all him feel like he is a part of the northern beaches culture.

“I just think it shows that generally people around here look after each other and make sure that everyone is OK,” he said.

Toovey, who has been replaced as head coach by Trent Barrett, now has to adjust to the unfamiliar feeling of rugby league not being front and centre- at least in the short term.

“I suppose I feel l lost, the routine has gone out of my life at the moment,” Toovey said.

“I am used to getting up and going to work at 7.30 and getting stuck into it.

“But I’m sure something will come along shortly.”

Still think he is getting the Oz job. Something coming along shortly... The ARL meeting in October to decide the coaching landscape... Hmmm me thinks Tooves will get the gig he wants/deserves...

I have a higher opinion of Toovey after his coaching stint than I had before. Which is saying something. If he wants to coach I'm sure he will get a gig within 12 months, but maybe he can contribute most in some other role. One thing's for sure, he won't be unemployed other than by choice.

He will never be forgotten that is for sure, if only it could have happened a bit differently - thanks for everything Tooves

Not to mention some of the supporters.

So how, in your way of thinking has any fan had a tangible affect on his ability to coach or get results, or are you just talking out of your ass again?

Now, attempt the answer the specific question with facts, not idiotic sentiments that avoid doing so.

I'll be waiting.

And @Chip and Chase , if what he said was funny, you need to get out more.

I hope he doesn't get the Aussie job because I couldn't stand to see the legend get let down by ego driven players again.Tooves should get himself into a job where he doesn't have to answer to people who have no idea

I hope he doesn't get the Aussie job because I couldn't stand to see the legend get let down by ego driven players again.Tooves should get himself into a job where he doesn't have to answer to people who have no idea

I still think he'd make a great replacement for Kelly. Is an Accountant. Knows the players. Knows the game. Knows the corporate world (NRMA).

Don't see it happening though while Zorba is around.

This is exactly what all of us who are dirty on the club know him to be. And why I am so totally disillusioned with the owners and their systematic tearing to shreds of the culture.

This is a man who deserved a pay cheque significantly higher than some our current players. Back in Tooves' time, playing at the club meant more than just big dollars. He wears the battle scars of one of the toughest players in the game. Pound for pound the best in the game who played at our club because he loved it and still does.

He is Manly.

The way he was treated by the club is nothing short of a disgrace!
All the while he hasn't said a bad thing about the club.

TOOVES = CHAMPION:rock:

So how, in your way of thinking has any fan had a tangible affect on his ability to coach or get results, or are you just talking out of your ass again?

Now, attempt the answer the specific question with facts, not idiotic sentiments that avoid doing so.

I'll be waiting.

And @Chip and Chase , if what he said was funny, you need to get out more.

What I find funny is that you have been death riding Toovey for years, accusing him of having "lost" the dressing room and having poor man management skills yet you want to criticise players for having the exact reaction that you claim he engenders. I find that mildly amusing, so I apologise if that causes you angst but I can't help it.

Thank you Geoff for being part of great Manly era . You have proven to be a legend on and off the field and have stamped your greatness in the history of our great club the mighty Sea eagles for ever .

What I find funny is that you have been death riding Toovey for years, accusing him of having "lost" the dressing room and having poor man management skills yet you want to criticise players for having the exact reaction that you claim he engenders. I find that mildly amusing, so I apologise if that causes you angst but I can't help it.

Doesn't cause me angst at all C & C, dont attempt to flame. He HAD lost the playing group, and it is exactly his role to arrest the behaviour of those players demanding clearing of the air meetings with him for example.

That doesn't mean that I cant feel he was treated poorly, which I have expressed many times, clearly and plainly.

Those players let him down.

Did he have a poor relationship with his players?

Did he lose the dressing room?

Was he treated poorly by management?

Yes, to all the above. Your funny emote was like you sticking your little tongue out at @Frank post little niggle at me. He takes any opprtunity to have a dig he can. The blokes a moron, and you supported his dig.

I feel as though my phone oozes diahrere when I see one of his posts..yet you supported an obvious jibe and attack, which puts you at his level. A poster who plays the man and not the topic. Here you are affirming that culture on the forum.

Sorry you won't or can't comprehend that.

Geoff Toovey took over coaching at a turbulent time and he has proven he can coach taking us to a grand final and the top 4 but he did lose the dressing room this year and it was clear for all to see that players were not putting in and playing in the true never say die Toovey spirit way .
We all must remember that we were very unlucky to lose in the grand final against the Roosters thanks to the dickhead refs

I still think he'd make a great replacement for Kelly. Is an Accountant. Knows the players. Knows the game. Knows the corporate world (NRMA).

Don't see it happening though while Zorba is around.
Not sure it would work whilst the Penns,Zorba and BStewart are still there

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4